Sign In   Register

Topic

Out and about 6 years 11 months ago #178234

..no maps or satnavs needed just head the mg out into the country and drive......getting lost can be fun.....

Magical mystery tour using a SAT NAV

1 pick a point on the map about 60 miles from your current location (point must be on a green bit, with a thin blue line nearby, and the road must be squiggley) in an area you do not know (preferably a national park or similar)

2 change route preferences to "shortest route" and "avoid motorways"

3 follow SAT NAV

Many an enjoyable afternoon been spent this way :drive:

Peter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Out and about 6 years 11 months ago #178235

..no maps or satnavs needed just head the mg out into the country and drive......getting lost can be fun.....

Magical mystery tour using a SAT NAV

1 pick a point on the map about 60 miles from your current location (point must be on a green bit, with a thin blue line nearby, and the road must be squiggley) in an area you do not know (preferably a national park or similar)

2 change route preferences to "shortest route" and "avoid motorways"

3 follow SAT NAV

Many an enjoyable afternoon been spent this way :drive:

Peter

i must try it next time im out....sounds just the ticket
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178302

Talking about mystery tours with sat navs......a urgent delivery was expected today at work,,,,,The phone rang and it was the delivery driver pleading for help....he was at the back of our industrial estate.....his satnav had led him down a disused lane....i think these are greenlanes.....could you send someone out to cut a branch off a tree he said...ive got my truck stuck under it.....before a lad could get to him the local farmer had got hold and towed him out.....the truck had extensive damage and i expect he may be out of a job...i bet the sat nav said turn left youve reached your destination.....his mind shut off from the low overhanging trees and brainwashed comanded by that female voice.....anyone else got a sat nav gone wrong story?

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178312

Talking about mystery tours with sat navs......a urgent delivery was expected today at work,,,,,The phone rang and it was the delivery driver pleading for help....he was at the back of our industrial estate.....his satnav had led him down a disused lane....i think these are greenlanes.....could you send someone out to cut a branch off a tree he said...ive got my truck stuck under it.....before a lad could get to him the local farmer had got hold and towed him out.....the truck had extensive damage and i expect he may be out of a job...i bet the sat nav said turn left youve reached your destination.....his mind shut off from the low overhanging trees and brainwashed comanded by that female voice.....anyone else got a sat nav gone wrong story?

Yeah,we all must have at some time, anyway, this Sunday its back to good old fashioned map reading....Mrs Sundance and I have entered into the Derbyshire Dales Drive classic car rally. Beginning at Abbotshome School in Rocester, it is a HRCR event.
They normally only allow cars made before 1990, but are allowing modern classics in and there are a couple of TF's doing it, plus a TA,TC,MGA and a few B's
Really looking forward to it so if you are about in the Peak District (we are heading to Foolow) look out for about 60 classic cars!
https://derbyshiredalesdrive.co.uk/

Sundance

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178320

When postcodes were created back in the '70s the entrance to the yard where I work was off the back of a local bus station, in the following 40 years they have closed that entrance and open a new one of the main road. Even though you have to drive past the new entrance with massive signs we get daily phone calls from "lost" delivery drivers, they can see the signs on the main building but don't know how to read the map on the satnav to work out where the new entrance is.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178597

What a scorcher ...off to work this morning and ditched the works van in favour of going in the tf...roof down at 6am and off we went...totally bypassed work and headed into the countryside. Destination unknown.

The lanes were full of wildlife and absent of other road users apart from a keen cyclist..there was rabbits having fun,jays,squirrels and suicide pigeons which took a honk on the horn to shift off the road..these country roads had the old black and white direction signs...the type they twisted the other way in world war 2 to fool Germans. .and the very same that kids like to tamper with causing havoc to motorists who are lost with no sat nav connection.

Driving in the morning with the roof down increases your scences. .cow dung,cut grass,dead mr badger..and hearing those birds whistle away ...stopping once in a while to get that all important picture.

Enjoying the early morning drive before work..no pressure here got another hour to go before I start.

Probably did about a extra 4 miles and felt fully refreshed
as I arrived for work..still early I washed and polished the tf ready for my drive out this afternoon.

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178599

After a short spell at work I arrived back home to collect her indoors and off we went in the direction of stone staffs..we returned a wave to a red mgb and another to a light green f in barlaston.
Through stone quick wave to mum walking through town and on to uttoxeter where we parked next to a trophy blue zs while we stocked up with refreshments..onwards towards Darley Moor airfield where another friendly mgb owner waved..

Attachment not found

After melting into drivers seat we headed towards Belper. .flash of lights and wave from tf owner and passed a red f...onto leek where we passed 2 tfs ...one silver and one trophy yellow...friendly these mg owners they are....not a long runout but the weather was the best...a great test for your rad and engine bay fans....loads of great well polished cars out and about today..triumph heralds and 2 great Jenson interceptors heading towards ashbourne..
back home to cracking a few tins and out again in the Morning.????
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidgv1

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178605

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

The lanes were full of wildlife and absent of other road users apart from a keen cyclist..there was rabbits having fun,jays,squirrels and suicide pigeons which took a honk on the horn to shift off the road

Did honking the horn shift the cyclist off the road?
......or did you have to get the bugger with the door? :bust:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178614

The lanes were full of wildlife and absent of other road users apart from a keen cyclist..there was rabbits having fun,jays,squirrels and suicide pigeons which took a honk on the horn to shift off the road

Did honking the horn shift the cyclist off the road?
......or did you have to get the bugger with the door? :bust:

I got out of the tf to take a picture of the great outdoors and I was aware a male cyclist was riding is bike in my direction..I looked the other way because he was dressed in pink clothing...I refrained from shooting him with my ak47 has I didn't want to wake the nearby village.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178617

No doubt everyone on here went out and about in the sun today......out and about today through leek and on the way for lunch up yonder.......the rock inn at the roaches....pictures from car park...

After we headed towards buxton.

Once in buxton we took the a515 towards ashbourne .....where we waved to a dark blew tf ....and saw another f in ashbourne itself.......same as yesterday we stopped at darley moor again for a short time before e hit the open road again and back to base...

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178639

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

bummer my ak47 jammed he got away!

You really must take better care of your AK47, the poor thing must really be suffering from neglect as normally they are ultra tough and capable of reliably operating in appalling conditions! :bust:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178646

Your TF and the countryside looking really good Mr Bluestreak . My wife and I are off to France tomorrow ( If they let us in ) in our TF . Fingers crossed the car behaves itself and we can enjoy some top down driving .

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT