Sign In   Register

Topic

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178788

David is quite correct. Ships at sea and narrowboats always pass port to port. I.E. Keep right. And for Mr. Bluestreak, yes the Llangollen canal passes across the river dee valley on the Pontcysyllte aqueduct. Google it. It is quite something. The photo was taken on the very quiet and peaceful Montgomery canal, accessed via five locks off the Llangollen at Frankton.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178796

seen this aquaduct on waterworld or some other canal boat programme......heres some images.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178799

See the out and about from last year on tab 7 of this thread for our Thomas Telford themed run. We detoured across the Dee valley at the Trevor village and drove as close to the Pontcysyllte aqueduct as we could get. We did get a couple of glimpses of it as we drove down to Llangollen last week, its an awesome feat of engineering for sure.
Hopefully we have sights on the Humber bridge later this year, as we fancy a few days run around the Yorkshire dales!

Sundance

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178800

Just returned from a very enjoyable week in Normandy with my wife in our TF. Overnight from Portsmouth to Le Havre and then onto the coastal towns of Honfleur and Trouville sur mer. Then inland to Bernay , then back to the coast to Etretat and onto Le Crotoy . Then to Arras and finally to Saint Omer before coming home via Dunkirk . We managed to see a couple of the WW 1-2 cemeteries which are immaculately maintained and are very sobering while walking round .
Just over 1000 miles covered and the TF never missed a beat apart from a blown front indicator bulb which failed on the way to the ferry port . While we were out and about we saw two MG's , an F and a TF , both in really good condition .
We enjoyed it so much we are thinking of doing it again next year .
Why is it that we never encountered a poor road surface over there ? We used wherever possible the quieter 'D' roads and all were billiard table smooth . Before BREXIT kicks in do think that the guys over in France could give us a few lessons in resurfacing ? John

I am useless at uploading pictures to the forum , so after 1 hour I gave up ! Sorry guys !
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, stevew

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: attachment problems!

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178801

Tried again put photos on this time with my mobile .
Attachments:

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178802

Bum !

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178804

Try reducing the size of the attachments. It could be that.

Or simplify the file name as at the moment they are pretty long.

Good luck. I really want to see those pics!:yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Out and about 6 years 10 months ago #178805

Cheers for that David ,I will try again later on .

Out and about 6 years 9 months ago #178977

Out and about today to Rudyard and then on the buxton road....

great scenery to be seen and on the way back came through the dane valley.

Picture below is the same has above but I've highlighted jodrell bank.

Passed this mg in the valley
parked outside the ship inn

And then passed a small brewery

Nice to be out and about today the weather was good and the ice cold lager was lovely at the rose and crown..got home thinking how the mgtf transforms a nice drive into a fantastic one.love going around country lanes in it..they handle well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, stevew, COMMANDER

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Out and about 6 years 9 months ago #178991

So out and about today...why not the roof is off and the sun is shining. .went to stone staffs and then on to uttoxeter ..rocester..alton .ashbourne..just before ashbourne I was passed by a mgtf trophy blue with chrome roll hoops..sorry for not waving..distracted by the speed cameras there...shortly after exchanged waves with a midget....a red mg one....through ashbourne heading towards buxton..

In buxton passed a red mgb
And then coming out of buxton on the a54 saw a rv8....now this is the road I was on yesterday but this time there is a difference...this time I planned to walk about the scenery I saw ..yes I got out of the car...leaving her indoors to sunbathe in the tf while I was gone.

Once parked up looking over the wall was the view I saw yesterday. .

Following the public footpath off I went...Couple of onlookers here.

On the footpath a sign warned of mining dangers.

Lovely views but care was to be taken has the rock path was steep and slippy..my goal was to get to the little waterfall and back which could be seen from the road above..
Look like this is a vent for the mines below..

The temperature was hot now and I soon started to think about dipping my feet in the water below.

There were foxgloves spread around the valley.and at this point I saw a heron flying above the stream..and landing some distance away upstream..I caught a quick shot but it's hard to see..I've highlighted it below.

Finally I reached the waters edge it looked inviting but I diclined.

Enjoyed this out and about more because I did get out and about...

This picture of the foxglove shows the little bug hovering above it..captures the moment..off back up the steep incline..grabbed my breath at the top and away in the mg again to travel back through the dane valley again and homeward bound..a good day had by all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Leigh Ping, cairnsys, stevew, SundanceUK, COMMANDER

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Out and about 6 years 9 months ago #179001

Sunday Evening and Mrs Sundance and I decided we liked the look of the weather and a trip up the hills and a pint was very much in order.
So off to the Dovedale region and down into the chocolate box lid village of Ilam. There we stopped for hostelries at the reputable Izaak Walton Hotel, at the foot of the famous Dovedale peak of Thorpe Cloud!

The Izaak Walton is a cut above your average hotel, and we would definitely recommend a visit to their A-la-carte Haddon restaurant! We also dropped in on a classic car convention and the car park was packed with vintage vehicles of repute! Here are the pick of the bunch...
This Austin Healey 3000 was mouth dribblingly gorgeous and one of the best I have seen!

As was the Hot little Sunbeam Alpine.

Some people may not have like the colour, but you could not argue with the curves of this immaculate Bristol 401 saloon!

No classic car meeting would be complete without a MG, and this tidy MGB GT held the flag for our Marque!

And this Mercedes 280 SL is ever the timeless classic....

After a perusing the cars and finishing our refreshment, its back onto the road, taking in the breathless views of the Manifold valley as we made our way to Wetton Mill, passing the famous Thors Cave en route....

Then it was down to Wetton Mill and the first fording of the journey, in the depth of the valley itself...

Then a steep hill climb up to Butterton, taking in the awesomeness of the scenery..

Then to the second ford crossing, the unique road river at Butterton. Note the stock image here, as Mrs Sundance could not be persuaded to get out of the car here to take a picccy!

Then up to Grindon where the single track roads were not the nicest to drive on, and back down to the far side of the valley to explore a part of the Manifold that I have never been on!

Then a circle around back through Butteron again and down to Onecote, where the heavens opened up and the roof was duly closed very quickly!
The rain soon dropped and we were left with some drastic scenery of sunshine, dark clouds and rainbows!

Then with fading light it was back over Ipstones edge and down through Alton Towers to home!
A great run on an evening where we saw hardly any cars about and enjoyed some of the finest driving scenery in our area!

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrester, cairnsys, mgtfbluestreak, stevew

Out and about 6 years 9 months ago #179010

As was the Hot little Sunbeam Alpine.

Sundance

Have a closer look........that's not a wee girly Alpine.......it's a mighty Sunbeam Tiger, choc full of lovely V8 goodness!

And there is nothing wrong with the Bristol's colour. Rather fond of Bristols myself.
I know where there is a barn find Bristol 401, but I can't get the idiots that own it to even consider parting with it, so it rots away under a tarp!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, stevew

Time to create page: 0.353 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT