Sign In   Register

Topic

Out and about 5 years 7 months ago #187669

Evening All. I've not had much to contribute to the forum for a while, sorry. However, a somewhat impromptu road trip last week has finally given me something to post about.

I found myself with a few days off last week and I had the very sudden, compulsive urge to scratch a major itch that I had had since getting my MGF a couple of years ago. A few online bookings later and I was on the 11pm sailing last Wednesday night from Newhaven to Dieppe - destination Millau Viaduct, South of France, and a return ferry booked for midnight Saturday! No pressure....

Day one was a blast down south on the toll roads for 500 plus miles straight to Millau. Off the ferry at 5am and good weather meant roof down all the way. A few sensible stops and a short sleep later and I got to Millau at 5pm. The bridge IS MAGNIFICENT.

It's tall. Very tall. Height of The Empire State Building tall. And stunning. And worth every leg aching moment of the drive down.
After an hour taking in the view, I drove across the bridge and then took a 45 minute diversion to get under it.

Overnight in Millau and then a further 400 miles to do for the day, off of the toll roads. First, into the deep ravine of the Tarn Gorge that the bridge spans. Apparently it can get very busy but I was on the road at 7am for the most fun, twisty, scenic road that I have ever driven.

From there, a quick hour further South to literally dip my feet in The Mediterranean, then West to Toulouse to visit the Airbus factory and then north for my next overnight in the Dordogne.

Final day was a leisurely 450 mile non autoroute journey back to Dieppe. Lovely surprise when I stopped for petrol at a slightly run down garage next to the Dordogne river was this mint MGA being worked on at the back of the garage.
They also had various classic Citroens, a stunning BMW 3.0 csi, Merc 280 (?) Pagoda and, looking embarrassingly out of place, a Dodge Viper... typical, eclectic French.

So, just shy of 1400 miles in three days. The MGF didn't miss a beat but the £60 RAC full service euro breakdown cover was worth every penny for peace of mind. Next time though, I need to take a bit longer - 'tis a bleeding long way to go in such a short time just to see a bridge!

Cheers chaps / chapesses.

Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Forrester, mgtfbluestreak, sworkscooper, BruceTF135

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by WinchesterMGF. Reason: Spelling

Out and about 5 years 7 months ago #187671

Took our TF for a little tour in France earlier this year. We found some great out of the way places . Some great pictures, have a great hol.
John

Out and about 5 years 7 months ago #187699

We did the Millau on our first Euro tour in 2012 in the F going south and again last summer but going north and in the ZS. I also did the same route back in 1997 in my first maestro before the bridge was built and the valley took much longer.

Experience has told us that 3 or 4 hours a day driving makes for a better tour, and cruise control makes a big difference.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Out and about 5 years 7 months ago #187750

Fantastic pictures of the viaduct and the f looks superb...:beer:

Out and about 5 years 7 months ago #187752

Awesome pics, the Milau viaduct is on my bucketlist too, however we are toying with a Eurotrip for next summer, probable destination is the Romanticstrasse in southern Germany, then skirting the Alps and Switzerland on the return journey through the Champagne region of France.
The Milau is just too far south for this journey.
Thanks for the pics, a really great OAA!

Sundance

Out and about 5 years 7 months ago #187758

@sundance: If you travel the Romantische Straße you will start at Würzburg and also touch Tauberbischofsheim, where I live.
You are sincerely invited for a visit at my home for a cup of coffee, tea or even stay overnight! Get in touch whenever you want.
Regards
Christof

Out and about 5 years 7 months ago #187768

Hi Steffan,
We will most certainly stop by. Its always good to hunt out local knowledge, you may be able to point out a good place to stop and somewhere for some fine dining! German cuisine is one of my faves! How can a salad taste so good?
After completing the Romantic street, we are thinking of dropping round to Ulm for a day or two. A gorgeous city - I have visited it before.
Will keep you in touch with our plans matey!

Sundance

Out and about 5 years 7 months ago #187822

A short trip in to the vineyards at Königheim, near my home:

Regards
Christof
Attachments:

Out and about 5 years 7 months ago #187846

Hi Christof. Great to see your TF out and not in bits !
John

Out and about 5 years 6 months ago #187955

Enjoying the fabulous September sunshine yesterday, we took a trip to Audley End in Saffron Walden, Essex. From Billericay, there and back, we completely avoided major roads (and traffic) making it a very enjoyable run.

It's a lovely house and gardens and was well worth the day out. Take a picnic as there are plenty of spots there to enjoy it. Entry is a bit pricey at £18.10 for adults (£20 with gift aid) but there are concessions for kids and over 65. Free to members of English Heritage.

Audley End website

Couldn't resist the opportunity of taking a proprietorial picture of the car on the drive B)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, SundanceUK

Last edit: Post by BruceTF135.
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT