Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Fog light installation and wiring guide. 8 years 11 months ago #157919

• Bob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
I recently purchased some parts to put front fog lights on my TF.
I'm unsure of the wiring on the rear of the dash board switch, does anyone know what the wires are on the rear connector,live negative etc?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Ta Bob.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Title adjusted. :)

Fog Light Switch 8 years 11 months ago #157921

• Bob
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
Wiring info can be found at http://www.the-t-bar.com/community/downloads
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, cairnsys

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: Info is on the T-bar.

Fog Light Switch 8 years 11 months ago #158193

• Bob
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
Spot the difference,pardon the pun :lol: Not finished yet I need some connectors but I got em working properly.
I feel a how to coming on.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Fog Light Switch 8 years 11 months ago #158195

That's great .................................. :beer: IS HOW TO NEARLY DONE? :pop:

Fog Light Switch 8 years 11 months ago #158197

• Bob
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer

That's great .................................. :beer: IS HOW TO NEARLY DONE? :pop:

Off on a midweek break in the morning, but next weekend I should have the wiring finished.A few more snaps and I should have enough to do a how to.

Fog Light Switch 8 years 11 months ago #158198

great this could mean my next project is fitting some fogs :woohoo:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Fog Light Switch 8 years 10 months ago #158422

• Bob
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
If you have a TF without front fog lights this guide should help you install a set.I have used a couple of posts and pictures from the org to help me put this together and also a little help from Jamie on the org too.
Here are the links
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=254488
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=382341&highlight=front+fog+lights
So there are other how to's out there you can use but this is how I did my lights.Take all safety precautions and do this mod at your own risk.Please disconnect the battery before you start !

Items you will need I got bits from breakers and some of the loom I made myself.

Mounting Brackets:Get the car up in the air and check, Ideally you will have a pair of mounting brackets in your bumper(I had them) or you can buy them but I believe there are two sorts.The early cars used these.They need to be bonded onto the rear of the bumper.

Later cars use these they bolt on.

Fog Lights:

Wiring loom: At the very least the connectors to plug into the lights.You will also need assorted spade connectors,Ring connectors and splice connectors.

Relay:

Switch and rear connector:

Firstly before you start disconnect you battery start with the negative terminal and then the positive.
I got my car on the ramps and popped out the plastic blanks.As I said the brackets were present on my car so I just screwed in the lights,they are sided so you need to check they are the right way round.I had part of the loom with the plug connectors,connect those and run the wires up behind the passenger side light,tie the loose cabling down with cable ties.There are two cables live and earth fix the earth on the bulkhead earthing point and fix it with a 10mm ring connector in my picture it's the brown wire.

Run the live wire to the relay up by the triangular fuse box and connect with a crimp connector to pin 87 on the relay.I marked all my terminals with a pen to make the job easier and avoid mistakes.

Use an inline fuse to the battery remove the fuse and use a 10mm ring connector to the battery and crimp connector to pin 30 on the relay.

Take another wire from pin 85 on the relay and run it to the bulkhead earth use a 10mm ring connector again.

Then run the last wire from the relay pin 86 into the cabin through the rubber grommet.I used a 3mm drill bit to make the hole for the cable,it's the brown wire in the picture.

Once in the cabin pull back the passenger side carpet and remove the centre console,there is a how to on here by Clive on how to do this part.http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/22-cjjs-guides/5155-centre-console-how-to-remove Run the wire to the bottom part of the centre console where the fog switch goes.

Connect the 86 relay pin wire to pin 4 on the foglight switch connector.Here is a picture of how I connected my wires on the rear of the switch.

This is how it looks in the car I used splice connectors to connect to the electric window wires and a crimp connector for the wire from the relay.Black wire 5 to the electric window earth black.Red and black wires 1&2 to the electric window black and red wire this will power the light in the switch.

Push in the fog light switch to the centre console and before you reassemble everything do a test by reconnecting the battery terminals and put the in line fuse in.With the side lights on the switch should activate the fog lights and the switch should illuminate.

Tidy all the wires with cable ties and put everything back together and you should be done.

Here are a couple of wiring diagrams that helped me you may find useful.

It's my first try at a how to and I'm no electrician or master mechanic so there may be better or safer ways to do this mod.If anyone can add to this please do so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, DavesZed, c.steffan, mgtfbluestreak

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Fog Light Switch 8 years 10 months ago #158424

fantastic howto :clap:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob

Fog Light Switch 8 years 10 months ago #158425

Well done Bob, you've made it. :broon:

LIGHTING
Bulb List - Bulb locations and types.
Bulb Number Plate Lights - Replacement guide.
Bulb Side Repeater - Replacement guide.
Broken MGF front indicator clip fix - Repair Mod.
Daylight Running Lights - MGF - DRL, MGF Light Mod.
Fog lights and switch install - MGTF - Fog lights installation / electrical wiring guide.
Headlamp - Dipped Beam Headlight Bulb Changing - Headlamp - Headlight Bulb changing - MGTF H7 55W Bulb.
Headlamp - Main Beam Headlight Bulb Changing - Headlamp - Headlight Bulb changing - MGTF HB3a 60W Bulb.
Headlights - Improvement guide.
Headlights - Trophy headlight type Painting guide.
Improving instrument display illumination - Visible light upgrade.
Instrument Cluster Warning Lights - Display guide.
Instrument Cluster - Illuminated Needles - Fitting guide.
Light and wiper stalk upgrade using Rover 800/Freelander control stalks - Fitting guide.
Lights Interior LED - Fitting guide.
Rear Lamp Protectors - Fitting guide.
Sidelight Bulb Changing Guide - MGF Sidelight change and upgrade guide.
Sidelight Bulb Changing Guide - MGTF Sidelight change and upgrade guide.
Tail light bulb upgrade - MGTF Tail light change and upgrade guide.
Vent illumination guide - Illuminated side intake vents guide.

Fog light installation and wiring guide. 8 years 10 months ago #158427

• Bob
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
Thanks chaps :beer: Hope no one breaks their TF following my how to.

Fog light installation and wiring guide. 8 years 10 months ago #158430

Thanks chaps :beer: Hope no one breaks their TF following my how to.

Mending things is the norm Bob. That's why we have more fix it's than Jim! :P

Don't worry, we'll back you all the way to your cell at the T-Bar. Rolf's already made up the spare bed for you. :lol:

Fog light installation and wiring guide. 8 years 1 month ago #164701

Hey Bob I have to say Thanks very much for this how to which I executed perfectly today on my 135 MG TF

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT