Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Tail light bulb upgrade. 11 years 8 months ago #60345

As with the sidelights upgrade to 7 bulb led lights. I upgraded the tail lights to 9 bulb led's. They're size 207 5w bulbs.

Changing a bulb is fairly easy. But here's a small guide for those that need it. :) For those that can't wait, here's how it looks in the end.

Pinch the plastic clips in and pull the plate that holds the bulbs off. It's attached by a short power lead. So don't pull it too far.

Here's the tail light bulb that's being upgraded.

The bulbs can be different to look at. But their specifications are the same. Size 207 5w. The new one is on the right.

They're a simple bayonet, push and twist, fitting. Once the bulb's been changed, line up the bulbs with their respective holes and click the light housing plate back into place.

The new bulb is on the left. The old on the right. The newer bulb is brighter and crisper.

Then go do a night drive and get some nice pics. :)

'The job's a good un.' :broon:

Update - 2 months later. 'The job's a good un.' :nonod:

The tail lights I fitted were fine initially and plenty bright enough. Then after a few weeks a couple of the small led bulbs started flickering. That's great if you're 19 and sitting outside McDonalds. :) So, I re-inserted the old bulbs. I'd read the warning off Clive about cheap Hong Kong bulbs. Maybe some of the UK bulbs would be better next time.

Tail light bulb upgrade - MGTF Tail light change and upgrade guide.

I also tried some new brake light led bulbs. For the size of them they didn't produce any great improvement and again some of the small led bulbs died after only a short while. So, that 'fail' never made it to a forum post. Here's some pics of them.

In summary - So far, I can only reccomend the lights that I've tried on the front of the car. They have upgraded 'the look'. However, it's only been around two months since fitting them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: psymon, Bob, bensewell, GOLDIE

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Fail update!

Re: Tail light bulb upgrade. 11 years 8 months ago #60357

;) Thanks for tip leigh, just doing mine,where did you get bulbs from ?

Re: Tail light bulb upgrade. 11 years 8 months ago #60360

where did you get bulbs from ?

Hong Kong. :lol: Only took a month to get here. Seriously, they're just a couple of quid on the slow boat from China. Much more if you buy them locally on fleabay. I'm just upgrading the lights in time for the winter darkness. So, there's no rush.

These are the actual lights. Four for £2.99. Not bad at all.

Or two for £4.19 in the UK.

Re: Tail light bulb upgrade. 11 years 8 months ago #60365

ordered from hong kong thanks leigh

Re: Tail light bulb upgrade. 11 years 8 months ago #60400

Also ordered many thanks for the prompt,
I will soon have side lights brighter than the road lamps,

[already got stop tail but red LED's and tinted lenses give a good red but not so bright, we shall see]
I haven’t lost my marbles they are in a bag somewhere

Last edit: Post by Yellow Peril. Reason: missed necessary word

Re: Tail light bulb upgrade. 11 years 8 months ago #60417

Looks good Leigh thanks for the post!

Bulbs on the way via carrier pigeon :lol:

Re: Tail light bulb upgrade. 11 years 8 months ago #60420

:lol: You're welcome Bob. The pigeon could well be a bit overloaded on this trip I reckon. The ones in the pics above took around a month to come. I must have got carried away with the l.e.d sidelights and those xenon headlights at the time.

Anyway, some of our cars are over 15 years old now. So, why not take advantage of the technological leaps that have been made since they were new. As I've come to learn, it's all about modding and the darkside. Why not do the 'lightside' while we're at it. Pun intended. :whistle:

Re: Tail light bulb upgrade. 11 years 8 months ago #60421

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Doing my bit for our distant slow boat friends :) ordered some

Re: Tail light bulb upgrade. 11 years 8 months ago #60423

:lol: You're welcome Bob. The pigeon could well be a bit overloaded on this trip I reckon. The ones in the pics above took around a month to come. I must have got carried away with the l.e.d sidelights and those xenon headlights at the time.

Anyway, some of our cars are over 15 years old now. So, why not take advantage of the technological leaps that have been made since they were new. As I've come to learn, it's all about modding and the darkside. Why not do the 'lightside' while we're at it. Pun intended. :whistle:

Yeah modern bulbs are so bright, I have done the fronts in my F and ZT.

Don't start me on the ZT bulbs,I had to buy non canbus error ones to fool the obd built into the ZT that shows the bulbs that have failed in the car although they work fine.The non canbus have a built in resistor to fool the message centre and show the bulb is working fine.Useless information for F/TF owners but you never know you might fancy a more comfortable car in the future.

I had several 501's left after trying to sort this out so I popped them in the F when I bought it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: Tail light bulb upgrade. 11 years 8 months ago #60441

Love that clean looking little silver F of yours Bob. Sounds great too. :broon:

Actually, during some research into the xenons I did read all about canbus errors. I didn't know if they affected me or not at the time. As you said 'fortunately' not on the f or tf. :)

The trouble with updating the older lights, is that once you've done one, you need to do them all! :) Now the dog's too old to walk too far, at least it gives me an excuse to roam the streets at night. :lol:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT