Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #173981

Well we took our TF for a blast to Whitby today as it was fine if a bit dull. I intend to sorn it later this week until next spring so it was a good chance to enjoy it before parking it up. Don't you just love our MG's ? Everything was going well until we got to Tadcaster when I noticed that it had got a bit chilly in the car and I realised the heater fan had stopped working on the 1 st speed . Now I know that it's no big deal to sort it as I have already fitted an up rated resistor for a friend whos TF had gone on all but one of the speeds . I bought it from Rimmers as they were on special offer earlier this year . Why didn't I buy two as you just know that it's going to happen at some point ? Anyway it's happened now so , the question for all you guys is ,do I go for the ceramic type or do I go for the repair kit on flea bay for around £7 ? I have got a soldering iron so , there is no problem in that department .Have any of you guys out there used the repair kits or have any views I would be interested. John ( Pudsey )

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #173986

The last set I replaced were ceramics with a kit from DMGR, it was ok, the worst bit was desoldering the old ones.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #173995

Coming north on the M6 the other night I felt that the car was wandering too much into & out of the truck “tram lines”, so looked at the track rod ends as first port of call; both sides were shot, one very shot.
A new pair from the local auto factors which were much cheaper than on the internet, then an hours work & all's well, now to have the tracking done. However they shouldn't have passed the last MOT in that state, which was only 3k ago.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #174003

Cheers for that TC, I ordered the kit this morning from DMGR.. Regards John
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #174086

Yes I have pain in the butt getting old solder off but easy enough to do. Bought off flea bay from rezpax. Hope this helps
Stu
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #174109

Just sorted out some minor issues.

The wipers were rather slow and noisy, took it all out, took the motor apart and found it was full of water.
I'll do a separate piece on this but on a similar issue. I used to run MG ZT-T 190, cracking car!
One of the rear lecy windows went so took it out and decided that I had nothing to loose by taking it apart and cleaning it out.
It was full of water.
Once I had cleaned it all and sprayed it with SGB, put it back together--purrrrrfect!
The thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if the F and TF widow motors were basically the same which means they can be taken apart and sorted out rather than buying a replacement.
Has anybody done this?

Geoff.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #174134

The problem with the power windows is usually not the motor itself but the stripped gears in the gearbox attached to it.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: GNK

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #174135

Like cobber said its the window mechanism gearbox which commonly fails...stripping the motor was a doddle.but..realising the gearbox had given up..it was launched in the bin and a replacement was fitted. :woo2:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #174137

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

After a recent dying battery incident driving home which turned out to be due to getting no charge from the alternator, I replaced the duff unit with a nice shiny recon one and fitted a new belt at the same time. Took about 2.5 hours altogether, including wrestling the adjuster bolt off with the aid of a bench vice and plenty of plusgas! Nowhere near as bad a job as I was expecting. It took twice as long to remove and replace the alternator on my PT Cruiser :rant:

Decided to replace the fuel filter and clean the throttle body at the same time, and relocate the K&N fitted by the previous owner a little further away from the hot stuff.

All in all, a very satisfying afternoons work, with the exception of now having to sort out the high idle that has developed since bolting it all back together. I've tried the IACV reset 4 or 5 times to no avail, and it's a 160 so not a plastic tb. IACV clean out is planned for this week.

:welcome2:
I'm assuming the first name is Carlos! ;)
David
:shrug:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #174362

My winter driver Freelander is currently out of action so the MGF has been re-insured and put back into commuting service.
A couple of years ago when I did the PRT conversion I hooked the heater hoses up backwards resulting in absolutely no heat
from the heater. This wasn't a big deal in the summer but has been an issue driving 40km to work at zero dark-thirty during our
current snowy below-zero weather.
Last weekend I had had enough and jacked the car up and swapped them over. The job was as nasty as I anticipated but I got it done
and now have heat, along with some pretty good scrapes and cuts on my hands from playing cardiologist between the F's engine and the
subframe/firewall.
The MGF is running like a champ (knock on wood!) and seems to like the below-zero temps. Meanwhile the rotten Hippo is sitting in the garage
waiting for yet more parts to arrive. :tapfoot:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in, mgtfbluestreak

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #174465

Extended the wires on the new rear light loom so can fit that now.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 4 months ago #174669

With Mrs TC working from 9 till 3.30 these last 3 days and me not I've done a few bits.

On Wednesday I popped into work where the blue TF is and finished disconnecting most everything ready to drop the subframes.
I then came home and started installing the new VVC rear light loom.

Yesterday I started up the VVC for the first time in 4 months, battery fully charged thanks to the ctek and she started on first turn of the key,
shame as that engine is coming out but good as it'll be for sale, and being smart I videoed it on my phone.
finished installing the new rear light loom (except the cable from the reverse light switch to the new plug and the cable to the high level brake light).
In the evening I started repairing the body to ECU loom where I cut it too short.

Today I finished repairing the body/ECU loom.
I then went round to my sons place, took him to Halfords to get some stonechip for the project MPi.
We fitted the replacement top section speedo cable, stonechipped under the front wings.
I did a bit on project VR6 maestro.
Finally while waiting for Mrs TC to come out of work I unplugged and replugged the SRS plug under the drivers seat in my ZS so clearing the dash warning.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT