Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #172816

My little baby is being operated on. :dry:

Two new lower front wishbones, some new brake pipe and, hopefully, an MOT tomorrow. :hugs:

New wishbones - deffo the way to go...nearly a new car again! Hope the MOT is trouble free!
Sundance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #172839

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
:woohoo:
Wishbones changed. No snapped bolts! :omg:
Brake pipe renewed. :yesnod:
MOT passed. :broon:
No advisories. :woohoo:

Total price - £138! (I did supply the wishbones.)

I believe that is what can be called - A result !
David
:shrug:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #172865

Last weekend I repalced the back box and heat shield. It was an after market box and did not fit too well. Also one of the captive nuts for the hanging brackets was missing. Lots of seized and / or rusted bolts and much pushing and shoving, with of course the obligatory scuffed knuckles. But with a bit of outside the box brainwork the job was completed after eight hours of lying under the car. Not bad for a 71 year old I reckon. Then went for a nice spirited drive on the new toyos fitted the previous weekend. :drive: :woowoo:

Replacement Exhaust Rear Back Box Silencer 2 Year Warranty - Brand New!
Buy It Now
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, mgtfbluestreak

Last edit: Post by COMMANDER. Reason: added link

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #172906

Gearbox cable ends finally arrived from *bay . Hopefully dry tomorrow so I can fit them . The old ones were in poorcondition and one hsd completely come apart with the rubber disintegrating causing the loss of all gear selection. With any luck the gear selection will improve as the ball end on the crank at the gesrbox was also loose . It is rivited into place so careful application of hammers tightened it up a treat.Fingers crossed!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #172907

Starting the hunt for the elusive coolant leak on daughters tf115. I've always had a gut feeling that there may be a problem since we got the car. But after 5k miles the nagging doubt has resulted in about 12mm drop in level but only after a 100mile run at motorway speeds, normal town driving no loss.
My monies on the inlet manifold or water pump.
Head gasket was replaced along with the latest design oil raill by a reputable MG garage in the Oxford area so hopefully I can rule that out.

Don't know if you found the source of the leak, but I just had to replace my heater control valve (behind the dashboard) because it had a small leak (1 drip every minute or so) when turned all the way off. Only found it because I was pulling some cables through the middle of the car for a reversing camera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, cairnsys

Last edit: Post by GilesH.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #172925

Nice new sunstrip fitted.
Attachments:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #172983

Changed the gearbox cable ends today .20 minute job and now the gearchange is fantastic! Decided to take the car out for a run to celebrate only to find that after 2 miles it started pulling to the right , lost power and came to a halt in a cloud of ferodo smoke witn a siezed front caliper. I'd forgotten the joy of owning a british built car ........but its all starting to come back to me ! Oh well out with the spanners again.... :woohoo:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #172992

Last weekend I repalced the back box and heat shield. ........ the job was completed after eight hours of lying under the car. Not bad for a 71 year old I reckon. Then went for a nice spirited drive on the new toyos fitted the previous weekend. :drive: :woowoo:

Replacement Exhaust Rear Back Box Silencer 2 Year Warranty - Brand New!
Buy It Now

wow take a leaf out of that mans book.....i thing people born in 1945 are made of stronger stuff....nothing deters them......... :clap:
The following user(s) said Thank You: COMMANDER

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173076

MG tinkering has been slow of recent, moving house a week an Friday. I will have a nice big garage though to tinker soon.

On another note I made the practical classic mag this month

Thanks

Alan
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Blow-in, cairnsys, The driving dutchman, mgtfbluestreak

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173098

I've fitted a digital volt meter

Here is the 'how-to'. Open door, sit down, remove cigarette lighter (if still present), insert digital meter, align as required.

It's a key controlled socket so with the ignition on you can read the battery voltage and when running you can see the alternator output. Useful? Certainly more useful to me than the lighter.

I bought this one via Amazon for £2.54 delivered (it does take a few weeks) although there appear to be identical units for even less money.

See: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=well-goal+mini+led+volts&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awell-goal+mini+led+volts

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173145

Yesterday I fitted a new stainless steel oil filler housing bracket.

This is the item:

MGTF MG TF Upgraded Stainless Oil Filler Housing Bracket New mgmanialtd.com
Completed

The previous owner had fitted an after market bracket with loads of spacing washers - why? Perhaps the bolt he had was too long?

I could see that it was failing and that was confirmed on removal:

The easy way to fit the new bracket is to undo the bolt to the inlet manifold (13 mm socket), remove the dip stick then pull up the whole housing. The bracket can then be replaced on the bench (garden not work bench in my case):

On first refitting I didn't use any spacers and was a tad concerned that the bracket was contacting the inlet manifold and the vibration could lead to wear:

So I refitted it with a spring washer as a spacer and am more than happy with the results.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173147

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
:broon: I think we MG owners must be part Magpie! :vulture: We do like our shiny bits and pieces, lol. ;)
:coat:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Time to create page: 2.476 seconds