Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173538

Corrosion at the leads was the cause of my miss-fire . :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak, CyprusMGTF

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173540

.......ODB gives no faults, although the temperature seems to read a bit low (86 to 95 during normal driving, outside temp 25 degrees) which could cause over fueling, I do get the occasional backfire after the bogging down

Those temps are about right but I suppose you could change the coolant temp sensor.

If you only get a misfire under the same conditions everytime, i.e. pulling away at 2000rpm, I'd wonder about a damaged wiring loom.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CyprusMGTF

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173559

The Coil packs are new and no corrosion, the wring loom connecting to the Lambda sensor looked like it had been rubbing against the starter motor, so that has been secured away properly the wires were not damaged. the wiring look OK no signs of obvious damage any where, with the exception of the boot hinge which has been rectified.
I had a similar problem with my old beetle, it had twin webers fitted and it also had a flat spot under certain acceleration conditions, this I eventually traced to a damaged jet in one of the carbs and the accelerator pump having a weak diaphragm. the symptom on the TF are similar, if i feather the throttle then she pulls away fine albeit slowly, If I set the gas at 2000 and don't let it drop she takes off like a rocket,(needed in Cyprus, Mediterranean drivers and all,) allow the rev to drop and the bogging starts., I cant decide if it is over fueling or under fueling during this time, potentially over fueling due to the occasional backfire.

I have the ODB connected all the time and use Torque app to monitor live to see what is going on, but nothing seems out of place. I guess another look this week end.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173560

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
Just an off the wall idea but...
Maybe the spindle of the throttle-body has worn a flat spot on the shaft and the bushes it runs have worn egg shaped in profile, when the most worn area of the spindle shaft lines up with the worn area of the bush it leans out as it can suck more air in though the gap, the area just off idle is usually the most worn. This may account for your flat spot.

I've occasionally found this to be the problem with flat spots on carbie engines.

Gotta be worth a look anyway, init!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173561

I will check it out but suspect that is not the problem the throttle body i brand new only two months old. However it cant be totally discounted could be a manufacturing defect,Thanks for your thoughts.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173562

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
Yeah, given that the TB is that new, wear is very bloody unlikely. :nonod:
Have you still got the old one? Did it have the flat spot when it had the old TB? Could you try it with the old one fitted?

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173563

Yes I still have the old one, The flat spot was there with that as well it is a 48mm unit.

Last edit: Post by CyprusMGTF.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173567

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI
Righto then we can discount the TB then..........back to the drawing board

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173597

Have you a free flow air filter and a snorty exhaust fitted??

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 6 months ago #173604

Hi Ian, Yes there is free flow air filter, the exhaust is standard for now, I have 421 ordered. The problem was there before I changed out the filter.
Was out driving last night the reluctance to accelerated from below 2000 is still there. getting above 2000rpm it is almost like a turbo kick in effect. I will try and record is and post.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #173658

Fitted new throttle cable. Feels fine now. Only drove far enough to take her out of the garage, turn round and back in again. The roads are filthyafter last night's rain.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 5 months ago #173664

Been trying to find a serious knock mg tf160 when reversing off the drive when turning the steering right, only thing I can find is, there is a lot of play at the bottom of the o/s/f shock absorber car has 50k new shock or new bushes?

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT