Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176319

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not sure how the B got in on the act.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176367

Trying to check whether engine bay fan is working, disconnecting the air temperature sensor did nothing? But eventually worked when coolant temperature sensor disconnected. Not sure that's right.
Anyway had a look in the air box at the state of the filter only to find several leaves and even small bits of wood in the bottom! I assume it's stuff that gets flicked up by the rear wheels as the air inlet was near there, I don't know if there is supposed to be a liner in the wheel arch or not but I've moved the inlet from there to into the air vent anyway, hopefully be cleaner.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176368

Removing the plug from the sensor will make the fan work , it's the ecu sensing the open circuit and automatically goes to safe mode to protect the engine .

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176370

I was expecting it to work with the air temperature sensor disconnected though? Why didn't disconnecting that do anything? I didn't check the dashboard, so as to whether it's retained purely for the warning light, or do I have a problem somewhere. The car is an early 2002 TF160 if that makes a difference.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176373

Well mine is a 05 TF so it does not have the same system as yours . Hopefully someone on the forum will point you in right direction . In the meantime I will have a think about it .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maddog1950

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Spelling

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176376

Unplugging the engine bay air temp sensor should fire the engine bay fan on all models.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't unless the fan was fubar.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176379

If the fan was u/s , would'nt it blow a fuse ? A friend of mine has a 03 TF and he has never heard his engine bay fan come on , but has never had any problems . Weird or what ?

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176380

I have 5v at the sensor. Which I understand to be correct. I checked all fuses which were fine. Fan clearly works as it came on when coolant temperature sensor disconnected.
Will investigate further tomorrow, perhaps an earth point issue or relay failure. Thanks for the replies.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176388

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
The trigger for the engine fan was changed from the sensor above the coolant tank to the ecu coolant sensor sometime around your car's age. So that theengine bay fan and rad fan come on together.

It could be you got a redundant engine bay temp sensor fitted by mistake at the factory or by a previous owner.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maddog1950

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176392

I think that's probably the case. Seems a bit of a backwards step to remove it though, as it's whole reason is to reduce engine bay temperature, perhaps it wasn't needed so much for the TF engine bay.
As it's unused I could use it to display engine bay temperature for testing purposes.
I tested the fan relay, which was fine, the trip for circuit had a 12v feed and presumably earthed by the ECU to make the circuit. So if coolant temperature gets high it'll work then I guess. Will have to check in summer.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176397

Fitted a second horn, as I didn't like having an empty hole where it should have been, also sound better with the high and low notes together.
Dried out my carpets again after the damp has returned...now I have to try to find out where its coming from, at least its not as bad as it was!
Also lubricated my bonnet catch, most necessary and one of those jobs that we all forget to do then regret later when the cable snaps!
Will lubricate the cable better when I get the front bumper off in the spring.

Sundance

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 months ago #176413

Fitted new front brake pipes and flexible pipes, bled the brakes (got to do them again), put the missing wheel arch liners in and changed the top zip on the back window. Just an MOT to get now - once the rear of the NS sill has been welded up! It looks like the result of jacking in the wrong place - not by me!

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT