Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 1 month ago #176884

I finished stripping the TF front subframe of all the components that are being replaced.

I am swapping over the hubs from the F as they have done half the distance and have ABS rings, I am fitting new wishbones as they are shot on both subframes and, blow the expense, I am fitting TF500 shocks and springs.

I am hoping the mounts on the F are good as I plan to use these.

I also helicoiled the damaged spark plug hole on the ZR.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 1 month ago #176888

Replaced the passenger side headlamp glass, due to a stone smashing the original unit.
Bumper removed, without damaging the indicator unit, replacement glass from MGF Obsession!

All back together in about an hour. Perfect!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 1 month ago #176892

Boot floor on near side isn't looking too healthy. Failed seam sealant has lead to this. Will need a bit of welding. The layout of the panels seems pretty straightforward boot floor joined at the seam with a back floor panel and the inner reinforcer on top.
I don't think the exhaust has ever been taken off the car, the join underneath is VERY crusty looking, so that might complicate things, might have to work around it.
Attachments:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 1 month ago #176898

More paint on the replacement front subframe.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 1 month ago #176924

Changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter plus installed half an air scarf! Well one for the driver's seat as that is the only occupied normally!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 4 weeks ago #176963

I fitted my tank level sensor and bonnet lights today (see separate threads).

Also replaced my busted binnacle and a broken door speaker grille and fully cleaned and valeted my car ready for a run out with the Potteries and South Cheshire MG club to Foxfield railway tomorrow. 8 hours enjoyable work on my car in great sunshine.

Tomorrow I get the fun of driving it!

Sundance

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 4 weeks ago #176968

I bought a waxoil pump and 5 litres of clear to do the front subframe.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 4 weeks ago #176984

Replaced the Hydragas spheres on my 1997 MGF. NOS units on the front and re-gassed on the rear.
It's been back on it's wheels for almost 24 hours now and it hasn't dropped a millimeter so I am happy.
I've got the side mirrors apart as the carbon fibre skins I had on them were suffering from UV deterioration.
I ordered a replacement pair from China. They looked nice but didn't fit worth a damn so I am repainting the
original housings. Thanks to Davis Aiketgate for his How-To showing the easy way to get them apart!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 4 weeks ago #176986

Raised the car which was fun as the 9cm trolley jack was too high to go under the sill!

Drained the hydragas fluid which looked a bit mank and there was twice as much on the passenger side than the drivers side.

All 3 bolts on the rear near side subframe mount loosened with the wrench but only one on the off side, the other two got a couple of shoots of plus gas and will get the rattle gun tomorrow.

The fronts were a bit harder, on both mounts one bolt was fine but the other bolt had been messed with, I guess the captive nuts had failed so the previous operator had flipped the bolt over, dropped it in from above and added a bolt from underneath, fine except I couldn't get a spanner on the top of the bolt and the nut had rusted in to place.

The nearside nut gave way after beating a 4mm drill bit and a 6mm bit, the off side has cost a 4mm but was saved by the failing daylight.

If it hadn't been taking Mrs TC out for a spin to the coast for a fish and chip lunch I might have started before 6pm and got a bit more done.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 3 weeks ago #177078

Got out my new ramps and cleaned off the surface rust on my rear subframe, and treated it with jenolite rust killer and black spray underseal, replaced a dicky reversing switch and temp sensor for the rad fans and changed my boot light and bonnet light to LED bulbs...
The LED bulbs are great and a worthwhile mod.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 weeks ago #177092

Just reunited my TF with its bumpers . I took them both off to have them painted . Unfortunately you learn from your mistakes , or you should do . Trying to save a bit of money by using a paint shop that had been recommended to me rather than the one I usually use, I am now regretting this decision as the guy just left them to gather dust in the workshop and after nearly three months of pestering I got a call that they were ready . Result you might think . Nope ! Rubbish paint job ! Not even close to the original finish . So cap in hand I will go the with car to my preferred repairer and have them done again.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 7 years 2 weeks ago #177094

Finished dropping the front sub frame, cutting it in half to get around one of the air con pipes that I couldn't get undone and striping off the bits I am transferring.

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT