Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190366

Mine ain't know better mate, I only have limited use of my left hand since substaing an accident at work 2 years ago.
Going for further surgery soon, maybe then I'll be able to put some miles on the car, having only managing less than 2000 in the last 2 years. 😭

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190367

Got to admit that being fit and healthy is a must for working on these cars. Hope you get sorted mate .

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190371

Mine ain't know better mate, I only have limited use of my left hand since substaing an accident at work 2 years ago.
Going for further surgery soon, maybe then I'll be able to put some miles on the car, having only managing less than 2000 in the last 2 years. 😭

I know what that's like, I work with my hands.
I had an industrial accident which led to 5 reconstruction opperations on my left hand over 5 years, whilst I'm no longer ambidexterous my left, I can still probably use my left hand to do complex opperations better than most people can with both hands!
Lucky for me that my surgeon is the best hand bloke in the country, he had fixed me up on a pervious industrial accident too.

In my case, I actually found it easier to drive the MG than my Ford Fairlane, the Fairlane had an T-bar auto shifter the required a button to be pressed to change, this I could not do with my buggered hand........but the MG's manual gear leaver could be moved using the heel of my hand.
Of course every injury is different and opperating a manual gear lever may cause you more problems than it did for me, but it might be worth trying to use the heel of your hand to change gears.

Don't let your injury get you down, I hope your surgeon is as talented as mine is and you make a good recovery.:broon:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190374

That's how I manage to drive using the heel of my hand and thumb although the hand brake can cause a problem, just waiting for op 3 anytime now and hoping not to get a return of (crps) as this really messes with your life and your mind and can leave you in some really dark places.

Cheers Guys

Gerry.

Last edit: Post by Gerry.laing.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190385

Invalid or non-existent item ID.Ah yes the handbrake............didn't use it, left it parked in 1st and didn't park on sloped ground.
I found the phisiotherapist's exercises pretty well useless for me, I discussed it with my surgeon and he agreed that I use limited real world hand movements (trying to handle hand tools (light) such as screwdrivers and stuff like treading nuts onto bolts etc) I found a soft rubber hand grenade in a joke shop, it was the best squeeze therapy tool as it fitted the hand better than a ball. The other theraputic stuff that I found helpful was a custom made ridged hand brace for the period after the bandages come off and a neoprene (wetsuit material) compression glove This all helped keep the scar tissue for going too stiff.
I have managed to obtain the same hand sqeeze strengh in both hands. But my left hand can't manage some of the fine motor movements it could before, I can still enjoy my hobby of fixing watches, just don't use my left hand for the fine stuff anymore.
Of course you should go over all this with your surgeon before you try any of these things.
Even when you have recovered I suggest you get some light compression gloves, Helps with circulation, arthritic pain etc.
I wear them when my hands get cold, often while sleeping and whenever my hands get stiff.
I get mine from Aldi when they have them, here are some similar ones on ebay, to give you the idea of what to look for
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190409

MOT Pass with no advisories, makes all the time and money seem worthwhile when the examiner comments favourably on your car.

Sundance

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190410

Well done Mr S
The following user(s) said Thank You: SundanceUK

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190414

MOT Pass with no advisories, makes all the time and money seem worthwhile when the examiner comments favourably on your car.

Sundance

Well done. My examiner says that and then fails it! :(

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SundanceUK

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190417

Home for a few days now so hopefully get to enjoy the some decent dry weather which is forecast the next few days. Loads of work outside to catch up on, not to mention the cars.
I took the wheels and the wheel arch liners off the F yesterday, but realised there isn't one on the n/s rear. I just cannot recall ever seeing one, and I've not been able to find one listed anywhere.
Does anyone else have one fitted to the rear arch? its a 99 model year.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190418

..........................but realised there isn't one on the n/s rear. I just cannot recall ever seeing one, and I've not been able to find one listed anywhere.
Does anyone else have one fitted to the rear arch? its a 99 model year.

Earlier cars had a shield created by the resonator box, later cars didn't have the resonator so didn't have the shield.
I have removed the resonator from my mk1 and if ever I get the MOT sorted I will be making one, probably from so scrap plastic panelling.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190419

Thanks for that,.... I still have the resonator in situ; so perhaps that's an upgrade I need to plan in the future.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 years 11 months ago #190420

I've just been reading an excellent "how to" describing the installation of the Pipercross Viper filter system. Now I understand the removal of the resonator box, but it looks a sod to remove even in bits.

Time to create page: 1.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT