Sign In   Register

Topic

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189378

Little light on the dash - you mean alarm diode or something else? You do have boot indicator on the dash, but not bonnet and door indicator. Alarm led will not be bright, or flashing unless alarm is activated by fob or door lock.
However, that alarm diode will flash to warn you that passive immobilisation of the engine is active. But, as I said, will not react on boot/bonnet/door opening.

Bonnet switch is easy to dismantle and examine.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Roverlike.

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189379

You do have boot indicator on the dash, but not bonnet and door indicator.

Yes, it's that one - it a little picture of the car with its boot open. Not the alarm LED. OK, so there is definitely a problem with my boot switch or wiring, as this light comes on sometimes when I'm driving.

It can't be the switch - I mean, it's just a bit of springy metal and another bit of metal it touches :nonod:
So I'll cut that loom open when I get a chance...

Bonnet switch is easy to dismantle and examine.

Easy for you maybe! I don't even know where to start... experience has taught me not to just start undoing bolts which look they're in the right place... but is it the two bolts on either side of the hold where the bonnet latches into when I close it?

If I take them off, is anything likely to detach underneath?

Thanks as always :broon:

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189382

This is the bonnet switch and its location

Switch

If your dash lamp on display is on during driving, then you need to see where the problem is. Same signal for dash boot light will trigger alarm off, when your car is armed.

Wire you would be looking for is purple in colour with red trace on it. Do mind that wire colour and trace colour fade over time.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Roverlike. Reason: wire colour added

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189385

This is the bonnet switch and its location

Ah yes... I thought it was under this bit :oops: good thing I have you to advise me.

If your dash lamp on display is on during driving, then you need to see where the problem is. Same signal for dash boot light will trigger alarm off, when your car is armed.

Wire you would be looking for is purple in colour with red trace on it. Do mind that wire colour and trace colour fade over time.

Thanks - that's REALLY helpful, and I'll get onto it next time we have a dry day here in N Ireland - some time in 2037 is looking good, with global warming and everything.
Attachments:

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189386

Ah yes... I thought it was under this bit :oops: good thing I have you to advise me.

I understood from your previous post and explanation that you are not pointing into correct direction. I provided you pictures, so you can see exact location.

Thanks - that's REALLY helpful, and I'll get onto it next time we have a dry day here in N Ireland - some time in 2037 is looking good, with global warming and everything.

Hmmmm, you will either need to come to Croatia and enjoy in this sunny weather here, and while you are enjoying you might even check your boot, or I will have to come working in Dublin as I hear many of us are working there now, and I could come and check your car.

;)

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189387

Second thing… if you even remember, how did you establish that the wires were damaged? Difficult when you can’t see inside the insulation…

You need to get a comic book and on the back page you'll find an ad for X-ray specs....:bust:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189390

Second thing… if you even remember, how did you establish that the wires were damaged? Difficult when you can’t see inside the insulation… and I don’t really want to start cutting them all open just to find out…

On more serious note, you can make continuity check. This means you need to have wiring diagram, find connectors for wire/s on both ends and, by using multimiter set to measuring resistance (ohms), put multimeter probes on wire pins in connectors on both ends and see if you have extremly small, or zero (0 ohms) resistance in which case you have checked valid continuity in wire. If resistance is indefinite then you do not have continuity and you have break in wire.
You might ask yourself how to put probes on connectors if they are so distant apart? In these cases you have to use imagination to help yourself. One easy way is following: since connectors are unplugged you do not have fear of ruining something electrical. So you can ground one side of wire (I mean use clips or additional wire, connect to desired pin and then connect to good car nearby earth point).
With this, you just need to measure other side of wire against earth (ground) and you will see if you have zero,resistance in wire and thus good continuity without a break.

Here is also a video showing how you might try to open brown cable tie and not breaking it. I would suggest to try to unclip it from hinge arm and have more space to work with.

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189392

Hmmmm, you will either need to come to Croatia and enjoy in this sunny weather here, and while you are enjoying you might even check your boot, or I will have to come working in Dublin as I hear many of us are working there now, and I could come and check your car.

;)

Heh – you’d need to be rich to live in Dublin. And it’s warmer there – I’m up near Belfast, in the North, and my little bit is probably the coldest, wettest bit in Ireland.

Never been to Croatia, or met anybody from there – the occasional Romanian, Bulgarian, Czech, or Hungarian, and lots of Poles… oh, and I kind of know a guy from Slovakia, but he’s a bit strange :woowoo:

Just a thought… no doubt I’m having some kid of mental block, but why are there so many wires going to the boot latch? I think there were at least 4 in total – 2 single connectors, 1 double… what on earth are they for?
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Hogweed.

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189396

Never been to Croatia, or met anybody from there – the occasional Romanian, Bulgarian, Czech, or Hungarian, and lots of Poles… oh, and I kind of know a guy from Slovakia, but he’s a bit strange :woowoo:

Just a thought… no doubt I’m having some kid of mental block, but why are there so many wires going to the boot latch? I think there were at least 4 in total – 2 single connectors, 1 double… what on earth are they for?

Well now you are speaking with somebody from Split, Croatia. I beleive weather is warmer in Dublin, but here is much warmer. Actualy now we have some 10 to 15 degrees Celsius. They say we will have some rain on Monday, and that is bad weather here. Last week was sunny.

Regarding wires you would expect to see at least 6 wires. You have third break light on the boot lid, you have central locking for boot and you have boot lock switch. Each one takes two wires.

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189397

Well now you are speaking with somebody from Split, Croatia.

Yeah, I’ve seen pictures – looks a beautiful place :)

Regarding wires you would expect to see at least 6 wires. You have third break light on the boot lid, you have central locking for boot and you have boot lock switch. Each one takes two wires.

Hhmmm, I’ll have a good look when the weather improves… but surely, the brake light wires wouldn't connect to the lock? And maybe I’m wrong, but I didn’t think the boot had central locking…

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189398

Yeah, I’ve seen pictures – looks a beautiful place :)

Hhmmm, I’ll have a good look when the weather improves… but surely, the brake light wires wouldn't connect to the lock? And maybe I’m wrong, but I didn’t think the boot had central locking…

Yes, it is beautiful. Thanks!

For the wires, you are correct, brake light wires do not connect to the lock, but are passing around, that is the reason why I mentioned them. There you also have 2 wires for boot lamp. That would be 8 altogether.

2 single wire connectors would be C0107 and C0110 which are boot switch connectors and 1 double wire connector wou,d be C0831 which is boot lock connector.

Boot do not have central locking in sense there is motor which locks the boot, but is part of central locking system. Within boot lock you have switch which is part of central locking system in whole.

C1446 would be connector to actuator (motor) for central door locking system if you would have one, but you most probably do not have it. That is part which is mostly retrofitted on these cars.
Attachments:

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 2 months ago #189401

Just to clarify my point, or confuse it even further, when I spoke of broken wires in the loom, I mentioned wires with the plastic sheathing intact but broken within. However it is just as likely that some wires may be broken completely.

Of my 4 broken wires, 2 were broken within their plastic sheathing, 2 were broken with bare wire showing.

There are at least 4 earth wires in that loom if I recall correctly, so that your alarm wire could find an earth in that area of loom without the switch being involved.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, Hogweed

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT