Sign In   Register

Topic

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189496

Ummm… OK… see, I’m a really cynical kind of guy, so I thought to myself “My car’s a late model – it’s BOUND to have a microwave thingy. Now, in N Ireland, we get two allocated sunny days every year, and today was one of them, so I was skiting about with the roof down.

When I stopped, I’d leave it down, and lock it with the remote, to see if the alarm went off. It didn’t, so I thought I’d wave my hands around inside it again (easy with no roof) – again, silence. Then, I don’t know what made me do it, but I tugged at that little hatch thingy that folds down from between the seat backs… and off went the alarm.

I drove it somewhere else, went into a shop, came out and repeated the experiment; same result. No action till I pulled the little hatch open.

What’s happening, do you reckon?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189497

Seems to me that might be microwave sensor that is not working correctly, either because it is faulty or plug to it does not have proper connection (corrosion on the terminals etc).
There is no other motion sensor then microwave one.

Have you tried same experiment but locking the car only with the key, while sun is still up? If locked only with the key and no response on tugging, then, I would say microwave sensor is the culprit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hogweed

Last edit: Post by Roverlike.

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189499

Have you tried same experiment but locking the car only with the key, while sun is still up? If locked only with the key and no response on tugging, then, I would say microwave sensor is the culprit.

I'll have to try, won't I! I only just saw your message, too late now. Our next sunny day here is scheduled for some time in August.

How hard is it to get to the sensor?

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189500

To be able to get to the sensor you need to remove t-bar. Problem is, in order to remove t-bar, you need to remove both seats.

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189501

To be able to get to the sensor you need to remove t-bar. Problem is, in order to remove t-bar, you need to remove both seats.

GAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

OK will continue testing...

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189503

I must have dreamt this one , as I have removed the Tbar on several occasions and have never removed the seats :nonod: . There will be a how to on the forum for this .

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189504

I must have dreamt this one , as I have removed the Tbar on several occasions and have never removed the seats :nonod: . There will be a how to on the forum for this .

Hhmmm, can't seem to find one...

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189506

By tilting both seat backs forward it is easy enough to remove the t bar to get at the sensor.:yesnod:

To take the t bar off complete!y you need to unfasten the seat belt from the side of the seats but this isn't necessary just to access the sensor.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hogweed

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189507

Okay , from memory as my TF is not close to home for me to pop out and look , all that's required is for the three Philips screws that hold the tonneau cover clips to the bar to be unscrewed . Then the bar is only held on by flimsy plastic poppers that are not visible so care must be used when prising the lower edges of the panel away . There are about 6-8 of these clips and I broke a couple when I took it off for the first time. The panel then will be restricted by the seat belts on both sides but there is enough room to gain access to the sensor in the centre of the car . As I say this is from memory so I may have missed something, if you want me to go and look at my TF it will.be later on .
John

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189508

That's right.
Have a look at this how to from Clive. He shows How to remove the tbar as part of it. Obviously ignore removing the windstop if you don't have one. You can see the rectangular beige sensor box in one of his photos.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189512

Thanks very much chaps - will have a look when the gale stops howling :whistle:

Alarm going off during the night 5 years 1 month ago #189784

Frantically touching wood… still hasn’t happened since I fiddled with the boot lid, and that’s over a month now. I’m still locking it with the key at night, and will continue to do so for months – then, if it still hasn’t gone off, I’ll start using the fob again and see what happens.

Another thing I’ve noticed is that the battery isn't running down at nearly the rate it was when I was locking it with the fob…
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roverlike

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT