Sign In   Register

Topic

Mission impossible 8 months 2 weeks ago #203804

Todays job was to extract the snapped bolts, I didn't have much faith in the easy outs and this proved to be case..Total failure! :doh:
I didn't want to force them too much incase they snapped so I will leave it soaking overnight and try again tomorrow but I'm expecting to be retapping this one. The other 2 are slightly proud so I will drag the welder out for those.
It's time for a beer 🍺

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mission impossible 8 months 2 weeks ago #203809

Bin those bastard easy outs!
I spend a lot of my professional life dealing with broken bolts.
I hope you drilled the holes properly centred……..otherwise your in more shit than a Werribee duck! (The sunburn of Werribee is home to a large sewage treatment plant featuring many settling ponds. it also has the nickname of Pootown.)
To get your drill centred, first use a ball end carbide burr to grind away the irregular surface of the brake in the bolt, you want a nice dished surface this will help you centre punch the bolt. Now drill a pilot hole Of @ 3mm using a cobalt drill lubricated with a proper drill cutting compound.
Having successfully drilled you pilot hole use a left handed drill bit a little smaller than the bolt diameter on a slow drill speed.
The idea is that when the drill bit bites, it unscrews the broken bolt.

To be continued as it’s knock off time and I’m not sticking around work to finish this.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Mission impossible 8 months 2 weeks ago #203816

Thanks for covering this again Cobs.
This at least the third time recently that you’ve gone through this lot & it’s so useful it should be in the How To’s, then it can be refer to it on an as & when. It took me ages to find the one I considered to be the definitive version a week or so ago & I went looking for it again earlier to reference it here. I couldn’t find it. It’s not hidden it’s just I’ve had a hard day repairing gutters. Gutterers can’t use spirit levels & don’t understand what the fall of system it. When pointing to a rise in the system I used the term “high spot”, he thought I was greeting a Dalmatian.
M

Mission impossible 8 months 2 weeks ago #203820

This at least the third time recently that you’ve gone through this lot & it’s so useful it should be in the How To’s, then it can be refer to it on an as & when. It took me ages to find the one I considered to be the definitive version a week or so ago & I went looking for it again earlier to reference it here. I couldn’t find it. It’s not hidden it’s just I’ve had a hard day repairing gutters. Gutterers can’t use spirit levels & don’t understand what the fall of system it. When pointing to a rise in the system I used the term “high spot”, he thought I was greeting a Dalmatian.
M

Setting the fall of guttering is easy if a digital level is used, just watch the readout until the desired angle is achieved, you can set some digital for the desired angle and an audible alarm tells you when you at the correct angle.

Here in Oz all roofing and guttering is done by licensed plumbers……. Therein lies the problem,
There are only two things a plumber needs to know……..shit runs downhill, and payday is Thursday, in order to help them understand the concept you need to shit in the gutter, then they can see it running downhill!
Trying to explain the use and operation of a digital level too them is always going to be a challenge challenge though.
:bust:
I shall continue the lecture on broken bolts a little later
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #203925

Just when I thought that I had reached the bottom of the pit.

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #203933

M

Setting the fall of guttering is easy if a digital level is used, just watch the readout until the desired angle is achieved, you can set some digital for the desired angle and an audible alarm tells you when you at the correct angle.

As per usual Cobber , you always manage to put a smile on our faces , re Plumbers !
My tale regards plumbers is in respect of my own experience on my house where I had to call on the services of a local guy to do some work . It required him to 'Lift ' some floor boards ! I left him to it which in hindsight was a mistake . Job done he took the cash for the task and buggered off ! After a short time I realized that every time I walked over the section of floor it was as if I was on the wreck of the Hesperus , ie with much creaking and groaning ! When I investigated the 'Repaired area' of floor , it was as though Neanderthal man had chewed away at the floor boards with I might add not one nail or screw holding them down ! After an age of scouring reclaim yards for the correct sized boards I finally managed to sort out the flooring . The last piece of board I chose to write in capital letters with felt tip pen . ALL PLUMBERS ARE TWATS ! If they can't do a job without resorting using crow bars , hammers , and ill fitting adjustable spanners , oh and they seem to be incapable of not covering anything in chuffin silicone sealer !!!!
There you go , end of rant . Quality plumbers are few and far between !

John . PS, Sorry to have highjacked this post but , I feel better now . :woohoo:

Here in Oz all roofing and guttering is done by licensed plumbers……. Therein lies the problem,
There are only two things a plumber needs to know……..shit runs downhill, and payday is Thursday, in order to help them understand the concept you need to shit in the gutter, then they can see it running downhill!
Trying to explain the use and operation of a digital level too them is always going to be a challenge challenge though.
:bust:
I shall continue the lecture on broken bolts a little later

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #203934

Having just name dropped the Hesperus & wreckage, my workshop, which is where I spend an inordinate amount of time required new windows & significant amounts of wood adding around the replacement frames to make good.
I duly called the local bod & when I say local, I mean the chap from down the road, After drinking two cups of tea & talking at me about the local football team who, like the rest of that profession can go & _ _ _ _ _, he declared it problematic.
“Can’t be done economically” & pissed of to bother someone else.
Bloody tradesmen.
My wife & I measured up & ordered some to be made by a bod whose been making frames for ever & fitted them ourselves. Then replaced the wood with plastic harvested from square drainpipes & it’s great.
Bloody tradesmen.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #203950

Evening everyone.

My last post should have included a photo of the gearbox arm that is now in the bin!

I hope that the weather is kind to me this weekend and I can get on with cleaning up the engine bay and doing a rust repair on the o/s inner sill and I still need to sort out the snapped bolts.

The list of jobs on the to do list is getting bigger by the day!
Attachments:

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #203956

Imagine having to replace that whilst still mounted on the subframe & in situ with bolts needing to be drilled out right next to the hydragas pipes. Also needing to be pretty ruthless with the drill to gain traction & yet not knocking ragholes in the frame to maintain its integrity when bolting the replacement in. I'm not sure whether I'd be quite so cavalier now.
M

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #203960

As my previous suggestion regarding jacking up the rear whew mirror to put another car underneath it, was proven to be impractical due to the mirror in question already busted as shown in the pic……….my I change my suggestion to jacking up the radio antenna and sliding another car under that

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #203962

Unfortunately Cobber I don't even have that option available either :bust:
Attachments:

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #203964

Evening everyone.

My last post should have included a photo of the gearbox arm that is now in the bin!

You're luck that binning that gearbox arm is such a simple task, not so on the other side of the pond.

I found the gearbox arm on one of our Fs to be in what looks to be about the same condition as yours and was able to repair it with a bit of welding, it really wasn't in that bad condition.
Mark
95 MGF

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT