Sign In   Register

Topic

Mission impossible 7 months 1 week ago #204300

Had some fails today.

1st job was to blead the clutch, major fail... the master cylinder was toast.
Replacing it was a p.i.a, you need to be a contortionist to get to the r clip and clevis pin and I would still be stuck under the dashboard now if it wasn't for my son in law who dragged me out by my feet. Once I got out the bleeding was straight forward and it was time to reconnect the battery.

Resynciced the fob ..all good so far..key in..the lights come on,on the dashboard and the wipers start working.

I turn the key and the engine cranks over but won't fire...gutted!

I think that it's a problem with the fuel pump as I can't hear it and I don't have petrol upto the filter.

It's beer o'clock now so any thoughts about my next move would be appreciated 🙂
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mission impossible 7 months 1 week ago #204301

Well done on your progress, yes the clevis pin should be a yoga move, i'd say a good idea to pause when the time is right. I've done silly things when staying at stuff when all sense has left me.

Here's one for Airportable, what are these "rare fibre things" called, drove me mad trying to research them being new to MGF's

I think I understand life better now, being that the drivers side is replaced by new plastic design but no replacement for the passenger (non belt side)
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Mission impossible 7 months 1 week ago #204302

Once I got out the bleeding was straight forward and it was time to reconnect the battery.

Resynciced the fob ..all good so far..key in..the lights come on,on the dashboard and the wipers start working.

I turn the key and the engine cranks over but won't fire...gutted!

I think that it's a problem with the fuel pump as I can't hear it and I don't have petrol upto the filter.

It's beer o'clock now so any thoughts about my next move would be appreciated 🙂

This straight forward bleeding………you or the clutch?
If you got water in the fuel, the pump will be buggered.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Mission impossible 7 months 1 week ago #204306

My word there’s more than one of them! I assumed that I was looking in all the wrong places when I tried to get a replacement early on in the New Era (post f purchase) & tried questioning on here.
No one owned up to owning one nor could Rimmers confirm there ever was such a thing.
It’s still on the car & doing the job someone designed it for although they must be somewhat put out by it’s lack of adherents. Thank you on behalf of my sad little cover, I’m sure he/she/they will be delighted to know it isn’t an orphan.
M

Mission impossible 7 months 1 week ago #204310

It was the fuel pump.
It wasn't one of my favourite jobs 😕 I got the pump out, siphoned the fuel and cleaned out the bottom of the tank with some old towels on a stick.
Fitted the new pump (I didn't know that they were spring loaded 😳)

Anyway I got it sorted and at 12:35 she started up!:woohoo:

I'm really grateful for everyone's support and advice over the last few months and I really appreciate all of the how tos on this site, without the people who have taken the time to write them I wouldn't have a clue where to start.
Attachments:

Mission impossible 7 months 1 week ago #204311

That is fantastic news, if you had realised the pump might be faulty & reacted accordingly it would have started first pull.
That would have earned you a gold medal. As it is, yours is a silver guilt, but that’s for the engine, the rest of the car is destined for the top accolade.
I think for those who have followed your progress over the last few months & have enjoyed your reporting of the twists & turns, it must feel as if it was our own car in which new life had been breathed. We’ll done & thanks for all the fish, sorry, the handy tips along the way.
M

Mission impossible 7 months 1 week ago #204315

It was the fuel pump.
It wasn't one of my favourite jobs 😕 I got the pump out, siphoned the fuel and cleaned out the bottom of the tank with some old towels on a stick.
Fitted the new pump (I didn't know that they were spring loaded 😳)

Anyway I got it sorted and at 12:35 she started up!:woohoo:

I'm really grateful for everyone's support and advice over the last few months and I really appreciate all of the how tos on this site, without the people who have taken the time to write them I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Very well done . I have been , like most on here , following this with interest .

John .

Mission impossible 7 months 1 week ago #204317

Well done David, that engine sound must of been music to your ears, well done sir
The following user(s) said Thank You: mowog73

Mission impossible 7 months 4 days ago #204345

Thanks everyone. 👍

We still have a long list of jobs that need doing but getting the engine running and having a working clutch and gearbox was a big step forwards.

This week I have fitted a servo brace (the Mike Satur one) hopefully this will improve the braking. Also started putting the interior back in.

Everything seems to work so far apart from the central locking...the windows go up and down, the indicators/ hazard lights work, the horn,wipers and washer work so do the reverse lights and brake lights...
however I have a couple of warning lights on the dash, 1 is a faint, flickering srs and the other is steering.
I don't have access to pscan so any advice would be appreciated.

Mission impossible 7 months 4 days ago #204346

Oh I forgot to ask..can I join the rare fiber thing club 😅
Attachments:

Mission impossible 7 months 4 days ago #204350

Let’s start with the fact that parts, if not all the SRS & steering were partly or wholly submerged it’s probably not a great surprise that you’re having niggles.
The SRS can be considered a stand alone system & usually go no go, does the flickering warning light mean the module is trying to come on to warn of a problem or is it trying to go off saying the problem isn’t worth it’s full attention. My initial thoughts would be leakage current outside of the main network feeding a fluctuating voltage to the warning light line.
Check for grot on the flexible PCC in in the dash first, that might sort it or it could return the light to its full brightness. You then would have a proper indication of a fault condition.
Subsequent checks if that were the case is another chapter.

Most of your steering has been, if not wet, certainly damp & the EPS system is complicated & finicky if not within close tolerances. Most of us are used to the drift to the left (or right I can’t recall) & the farting about that has to be done to correct the problem. I tried to play the smart arse & having looked at the schematic decided to put trimming resistors in the network adjacent to the controller, which is behind the dummy airbag blank. This system would, if it had worked, have allowed me to trim in the steering, with the aid of a meter, as the system aged. It didn’t work & I ended up with several very low value variable resistors & a crick in my neck which lasted for ages. Any adjustments made & the warning light came on.
Again if you have grot in the potentiometer system on the steering column you’ll have an out of balance system & a fault lamp. Your assistance motor will have been wet, does that run as anticipated as you turn the steering & make the steering lighter? I would assume a failure there would bring the light on.
And finally (for now) is the fuse OK, it’s a fat 70a (?) blade fuse mounted on the right hand inner wing. This will bring the light on. I use the steering failure light to remind me that I’ve switched the power assist off when I’m enjoying one or two of my favourite routes. I feel that there’s more of that subjective feel / bite, with it out, I think I can get closer to the apex with it out & I turn into a driving god just fifty years after I should have turned into one.
M

Mission impossible 7 months 4 days ago #204351

Gosh another rare fibre thing! This is wonderful stuff it’s like one of those TV programs when some orphan finds they’ve got a family that they didn’t know existed & there’s tears & elation all around until they find out that they are married to their sister.
M

Time to create page: 0.360 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT