Sign In   Register

Topic

Mission impossible 8 months 3 days ago #204060

Well today was a horror show...
I was trying to get the last bolt out and the captive nuts let go :doh:

2 hours and many,many swear words later I finally got everything sorted.

It's definitely a 2 beer job!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mission impossible 8 months 3 days ago #204062

I had something similar happen on the rear subframe's smaller mounts, where the bolts broke and the captive nut became 'un-captive'. I ended up welding a flanged nut in place of the captive nut.
Mark
95 MGF
The following user(s) said Thank You: R40MGF

Mission impossible 8 months 2 days ago #204079

I wish that I'd thought of that.

What I did was to drill out 4 spot welds and cut a small section out the mount so that I could remove the offending nut. I then made up a small plate from 3mm steel, drilled and tapped a new thread into that and then welded a new nut on top.

I put the plate into the mount, tightened it in place with a bolt and then welded the plate in place via 2 plug welds. All that I needed to do after this was weld the mount back up, grind the welds flat and give it a coat of stone chlp.

Mission impossible 7 months 4 weeks ago #204100

I need some advice again 😩 sorry.

I have just spent 2 days swapping over the entire electrical system, full loom, fuse box, window regulator's along with all of the associated modules and ecu.

My problem is that the doner car had abs and my car didn't. Do I need to go through the pain (and expense) of retro fitting it or can I just carry on and ignore the extra wires?

Mission impossible 7 months 4 weeks ago #204101

I’m pretty sure the ECU in the modulator block talks to the other controls it has intimate relations with.
I’ll look at the diagram after, unless someone wants to jump in with the definitive answer.
M

Mission impossible 7 months 4 weeks ago #204102

I’m pretty sure the ECU in the modulator block talks to the other controls it has intimate relations with.
I’ll look at the diagram after, unless someone wants to jump in with the definitive answer.
M

You may well be correct but I recently read that until the Pektron was introduced the individual ECU's didn't talk to each other. Having said that the immobiliser talked to the engine ECU or did it just supply it with power.

Mission impossible 7 months 4 weeks ago #204103

I took the opportunity to look at the circuit diagram & it looks like, as with the SRS system, it is a standalone unit. With the Stepspeed there’s a link, but no other tendrils that are obvious with the standard ABS cars, there’s a line to the dash to tell you something adrift but you are already likely to be aware of it. If there’s no modulator there’s no need for a lamp to warn you that nothings wrong.
Do i recall you fitting hubs with ABS detents, it’s a shame the cart went before the horse on this. With you having the subframes off plumbing through the brake pipes would have been easier.
M

Mission impossible 7 months 4 weeks ago #204108

Thank you guys 😊
M, you are correct, 1 of front hubs has the abs ring but it's going to be a project for another time.

Mission impossible 7 months 3 weeks ago #204174

Miracles do happen...
Attachments:

Mission impossible 7 months 3 weeks ago #204175

A thing of beauty & a comment on your skills.

Mission impossible 7 months 3 weeks ago #204180

Well done that man!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Mission impossible 7 months 2 weeks ago #204212

If everything goes well this weekend I should have the engine and gearbox back in.:woohoo:

I have stocked up on bandages and pain killer's because nothing ever goes to plan 🙃

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT