Sign In   Register

Topic

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #203967

Keep going as it will be second to none once finished.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #203982

Well she will certainly be in better condition than when I started.

I have been fitting new brake lines and when I was under there I noticed that the clutch line was ok but the flexible hose and pipe at the rear looked very poor.
Has anyone fitted the stainless one from front to to rear or would it be better to use the oe parts?

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #203985

Just remind us how old your car is & whether the clutch line has been changed at any time, most probably not. The only advantage of stainless over standard is to give passing molluscs something to admire, apart from that you might feel smug when, in twenty years time, I’m complaining that my original needs a replacement.
M

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #204002

EDIT
Replace with ordinary steel pipe then
Why not apply some waxoil over those brake and clutch pipes including the nuts and exposed threads, in twenty years time they will still be good although the MOT tester will not like it.

Last edit: Post by MGB281.

Mission impossible 8 months 1 week ago #204011

Thanks for the advice guys, I will stick with the oe pipe and treat it.

The weather God's smiled today and I got the rust repair done using a repair panel from Mike Satur, it took a bit of fiddling but I'm very pleased with the results.

I have also started preparing to remove the dreaded snapped bolts. I built up the remaining thread and welded a nut on...I will see if it works tomorrow.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Mission impossible 8 months 6 days ago #204023

I managed to get 1 of the bolts out but 2 of them just won't move. :doh:

The chances of drilling perfectly and retapping are slim to none so what are my options?

Is helicoil strong enough to support the rear subframe?

Could I just go up a size to M10 instead?

Mission impossible 8 months 6 days ago #204024

Helicoils won’t cut it for my money, going up a size to M10 would depend on how much meat there is to tap into
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Mission impossible 8 months 6 days ago #204025

My guess is that I would be tapping into a captive M8 so wouldn't be happy doing that and a helicoil would require a M10 tap anyway so what's the point.

Oh well I tried.

Mission impossible 8 months 6 days ago #204027

You could investigate imperial sizes. M8 is about 5/16 & M10 7/16 in UNF or UNC.
BSF, BSC & our great & venerable Whitworth all have relatives who just live around the corner & even if you have to buy the appropriate tap isn’t that going to make sense. You still can’t escape that captive nut though.
M

Mission impossible 8 months 4 days ago #204042

I managed to get 1 more out :woohoo:
I'm going to drill and tap the last one then torque it up and see what happens.

It's the last major thing that needs doing before the transplant can begin and it's really holding me up.

Mission impossible 8 months 4 days ago #204044

Rust repair from the weekend.

I cut well above the crud and
with a bit of shaping I managed to get a good fit.

The cut section was fully welded and so was the return part ( this wasn't part of the original panel but I thought it worth using) I also copied the original spot welds by plug welding in the same place.
Before
After.
Attachments:

Mission impossible 8 months 4 days ago #204046

It's all good stuff & very impressive. Looking on as you have stripped the car down & your approach to its rebuilding is inspiring. It would be nice to think that the less active members might be encouraged to be more adventurous.
M

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT