Sign In   Register

Topic

Mission impossible 7 months 3 days ago #204357

Thank you again for some great advice M đź‘Ť

I have replaced almost all of the wiring including the fuse box in the car. Earlier on you mentioned the seat belt pretetioners would need to be changed..I haven't done this on the driver side yet 🤔 also I didn't change the yellow wiring cables for the srs as it all looked good but I have changed the srs module.

I mentioned that the steering lock was stuck on....unfortunately that wasn't a fault with the locking system but the whole column was seized solid! This has also been replaced.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mission impossible 7 months 3 days ago #204358

Have you had the EPS electronics out, the box behind the airbag blank. I can’t remember whether the cables are hard wired in or if there’s a connector, which ever way, if you haven’t already, drop it out & look at the board. You’ve already had experience with corrosion on PCB’s so you know what you’re looking for & clean contacts with contact cleaner NOT with WD40 that stuff is the sperm of Satan in the wrong places. In my opinion the bin is the right place.
On the SRS front. You say you’ve fitted a replacement column, have you retained the original wheel? Have you looked at the clock spring & associate paraphernalia, both in the wheel & behind. Having just advised the judicious use of contact cleaner on the steering electronics, I would keep the SRS contacts dry plugging them in & out a number of times to let the contacts wipe themselves clean.
One thought “off the wall”, the replacement SRS unit you have could be configured for dual airbags, if that’s the case your light isn’t going to go out.
And if, when you’ve changed the remaining seatbelt fireworks you’ve still bogged down change the yellow loom, then make friends with someone with a Pscan.
M

Mission impossible 7 months 1 day ago #204364

I removed the epas box from behind the dash and swapped it for the one from the doner but it didn't make any difference.
Here are a couple of photos of the original unit.
Looks like someone sneezed in there!

I'm just about to have a look at the srs side of things, hopefully with better results.
Attachments:

Mission impossible 7 months 1 day ago #204365

I’ll look at the diagram later, we’re running out of prime suspects.
M

Mission impossible 7 months 22 hours ago #204367

When I started the car earlier I did notice that the speedo was jumping a little bit. I think that I read somewhere that this could be a problem for the Epas system?

I'm going to take a break from the electrical gremlins tomorrow and rebuild the break calipers ...I'm actually looking forward to this as I don't have to upside down. 🙂

Mission impossible 7 months 20 hours ago #204368

I haven’t looked at the diagram yet, I’ve been so bloody busy & I’m supposed to have retired fifteen years ago. At this rate I’ll need a spare pacemaker just in case the one that’s in gets overworked & goes flat.
M

Mission impossible 6 months 4 weeks ago #204381

We're drifting into dark areas into which I've never shone light & there is a discrepancy between the earliest monochrome diagram I have (which should pertain to our cars) & the slightly later colour version more regularly used.
Tying in with your comments on the twitching of the speedo, there are inputs from both engine speed & road speed, there is also a mysterious reed switch shown on the monochrome diagram. I need to look at that as I've no idea where that could be other than within a sensor, if that were the case why not illustrate it as such.
You mention having a look at the brakes, there's an excellent parts supplier in Burnley who carries all the rubbers & also the needle roller bearing for the handbrake mech'.
Needles to say I continue to follow with interest.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: R40MGF

Mission impossible 6 months 3 weeks ago #204401

I now have the calipers back on :woohoo:
If the weather holds and nothing else goes wrong then tomorrow I will fit a new master cylinder ( taking no chances after the clutch problem) and bleed them.

Nothing fancy, just standard calipers but I have fitted a servo brace and stainless hoses.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Mission impossible 6 months 3 weeks ago #204402

Why do callipers look so much better in red? I have a dedicated tin of paint & a special brush on a shelf at just the right level for me to reach when I’ve a wheel off & the callipers are looking a little off colour. An outstretched arm & it’s there with its attendant screwdriver for lid removal, all without moving far from my perch.
A little sad? Maybe but others find pass times entertaining which leave me a little perplexed.
M

Mission impossible 6 months 3 weeks ago #204409

That's not sad at all..
I wish that the designers of our cars had been been that organised then I wouldn't spend half of my time going back and forth trying to find the correct spanners..

Mission impossible 6 months 3 weeks ago #204411

I’m a bit of a bugger for tidying up whilst I go along, I have to because of the number of jobs of varying types vying for space; to find a plane, soldering iron & test meter, spanner’s, lathe tools & the four jaw chuck plus nickel plating chemicals. Etc.
This means I too find myself wandering from workshop to garage to collect a spanner I put away a few minutes ago.
That too is a bit sad, however I know that you will empathise, whether Cobber will is a moot point.
M

Mission impossible 6 months 3 weeks ago #204426

They look very good in red. I've always found the standard brakes pretty good when they are in good order. It has to be said they are a lot easier to maintain than the optional 4 pot callipers
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT