Sign In   Register

Topic

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185660

Agreed..Borg and Beck is a quality manufacturer.

What did your "german guys" say about the part number marked on the clutch?

Starting to sound like a dody clutch kit! Did you make a comparison of release bearings also?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185661

I wrote the UK ebay seller of the clutch kit today in the afternoon. She promised to contact the manufacturer about the problem.
TBH: it was the cheapest kit I could find, about 60 GBP + 10 postage to Germany.
The LUK kit costs 113 € + free postage which is around 100 GBP.
I'll compare both sets. Wait and see.
Kind regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185667

Have a closer look at the pix.........that clutch is made by Borg & Beck.
So unless they've decided to offshore manufacturing to China, India or some 3rd world shithole, it should be good as should their warranty and technical support.
Why not see if you can contact their technical support a try.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185668

Is the clutch in the picture remanufactured ? ? ?

John .

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185671

Hi,
Just had a look at the Borg and Beck catalogue, and this states the clutch set as; HK9012.
Does this tie in with the paperwork that came with your clutch set?

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185674

The clutch set was a new one.
And the bill stated it as HK 9012.
The seller tries to contact the manufacturer.
Regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185677

Another thought:
if the uprated clutch release arm had another shape in comparison to the original one, maybe it couldn't move the bearing far enough against the clutch plate...so I had to extend the moving arm of the slave cylinder...cutting a thread and use securing locknuts...like the uprated alternator adjuster bracket...

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185686

if the uprated clutch release arm had another shape in comparison to the original one,

Then there is a problem, that should have been investigated!

The fault you describe points to a release bearing issue, and that would also include a release arm issue!

Profile of original and uprated should be exactly the same!

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185688

You are right, of course. But the original release arm had been that solid seized that I had to cut it in two parts by the help of an angle grinder inside of the gearbox. After that I was able to lever it out (see picture).

When everything was reassembled all the old parts went to scrap collection station.
Attachments:

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185689

in what way is it different? I fitted the uprated arm with the grease nipple on my rover 400 when I swapped the clutch, and from memory (it was nearly 10 years ago!) I dont recall noticing any significant variations in geometry as far as arm or fork compared to original.

Sadly I dont think I took photos, but I did have them out side by side, so feel fairly sure I would have remembered a difference if there was one.

edit: yup... there is a side by side by side pic on the the (ahem!) other well known forum

http://forums.mg-rover.org/mgf-mgtf-%2Asponsored-mgfntfbitz-mgf-mg-tf-parts-01457-238202%2A-12/fitting-modified-clutch-release-arm-296767/
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: added pic.

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185690

I'm awaiting the delivery of the new LuK clutch kit tomorrow. I'll compare it to the Borg & Beck set.
Question: Is there a way to test the clutch function without the engine running (means before everything is reassembled, only the gearbox to the engine)? I'd like to try pressing the release arm by hand in flywheel direction...if the clutch works o.k. I guess the driveshafts will move freely then...or am I totally wrong?

Clutch is dead 5 years 11 months ago #185707

LuK Clutch kit arrived today. In comparison there's no significant difference to the Borg & Beck (see pictures). Mounted already.
In my opinion the mistake is on the clutch release arm side.
Maybe I'll bring the gearbox to the mechanic once again to discuss this. I do not want to reassemble the whole shit if there's no warranty it will work.

Regards
Christof

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT