Sign In   Register

Topic

Clutch is dead 5 years 9 months ago #186929

Unfortunately the new battery (four weeks old) is flat, need another one.

Why a new battery. Just charg the old one up and see what happens first.

A lot of the new "electronic" chargers will not work into a flat battery (how dumb is that) so use a conventional (old skool) charger first, or jump the battery for a few mins, to get some voltage into it, then use the electronic charger to complete.

Bled the brakes today in the morning, the afternoon wanted to bleed and test the clutch.
The master cylinder went o.k., no air inside. The slave cylinder was (and is) the bigger problem: tried to bleed it with a manual vacuum kit, later the classic clutch pedal and bleed nipple system, always keeping the reservoir on level. After a while there was no more air, but no resistance to the pedal yet, only very little movement at the slave cylinder. After a while we screwed the pipe connection at the slave cylinder more tightly and bled again - it worked! Wanted to do this job 100% and bled once more (my german handbook says: press clutch pedal, hold firmly, open bleed nipple, push clutch arm by hand completely in release position, close nipple, depress pedal), but once again no pedal resistance. What the hell is the release position? As I'm unable to push the arm towards the flywheel, I pushed the slave cylinder's piston in before closing the nipple. Was this wrong?
Bled more than 500ml altogether without success.

Can not quite follow what you did, but a few tips from my efforts bleeding the clutch.

1 Use an easybleed if you have one. Very quick easy with one.
2 Bleed clutch as you would do the brakes manualy
Open bleed nipple, push peddle down, close nipple, release peddle. Takes a while, but will eventually work
3 When you have some movement at the slave cylinder
a Press peddle down and hold it there (block of wood or a brick)
b Relase the bleed nipple and press the slave cylinder piston back in as far as possible against the internal spring, pushing fluid and air out of the bleed nipple. (push the piston back with a screwdriver after pulling the dust seal off the slave cylinder)
c Tighten bleed nipple
d Release peddle THEN release the slave cylinder piston (important to do in that order) so it comes fully forward on its internal spring
e Repeat untill no more air comes out of slave cylinder.

I use easybleed, then re-bleed slave cylinder as above after a few days to get best results!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by G0RSQ.

Clutch is dead 5 years 9 months ago #186933

Hi Christof. I think I speak for everyone on the forum who has been following this seemingly lengthy topic that at some point we have all had a brick wall of a problem. We have to assume that you have fitted the the clutch and the gearbox assembly correctly after the problem with the parts. So in this instance I have to agree with all GORSQ has said about bleeding. If you haven't got any pressure it's because there is air trapped somewhere or there is a leak but with all your efforts I am sure you would have spotted a fluid leak .
Nothing else I can add :nonod:

John

Clutch is dead 5 years 9 months ago #186934

hit the master cylinder after cracking off the top pipe screw while someone is pushing the peddle up and down, you have trapped air just like i had yesterday. cover with a cloth,

Clutch is dead 5 years 9 months ago #186935

Err , tap with nothing heavier than a 4oz toffee hammer.
:-)

Clutch is dead 5 years 9 months ago #186973

Thinking about the slave cylinder. Bought it new last year, but the mechanic at the garage had told me about bleeding problems, too.
Regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 5 years 9 months ago #187056

Got a new slave cylinder today.
Will fit it tomorrow and see...
Regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 5 years 9 months ago #187057

Hi Christof. Make sure that you follow GORSQ and his excellent
instructions on bleeding . I really hope the new slave works and you start to enjoy the car .

John :broon:

Clutch is dead 5 years 8 months ago #187251

Fitted and bled the slave cylinder last week, seemes to work. MAYBE I wouldn't have had to remove the gearbox once again and the new clutch aswell as the new release arm were not necessary.
Lesson learned.
Mounted the exhaust and bumper the last days, got a new battery (replacement) yesterday. Will fit the battery today and try to start the engine (after seven months) for coolant bleeding. Fingers crossed.
Regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 5 years 8 months ago #187252

This sound good Christof. Keep at it mate you are nearly there . :broon:
John .

Clutch is dead 5 years 8 months ago #187292

Bled the coolant. Yesterday the engine ran until the fan started, no coolant leak (until now). The only loss was condensed water from the exhaust/cat connection, where I didn't use a new gasket as advised in the repair manual. Will be replaced occasionally.
Washed the dust from her, waxed her and hoovered lots of cobwebs from the inside.
Now she looks like a car again. Still on ramps partially, I'm on duty today in the afternoon. Maybe a test drive tomorrow.
No photos available, as our www isn't on duty since two weeks, walked to my brother for writing these messages.
Kind regards
Christof
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, sworkscooper

Clutch is dead 5 years 8 months ago #187339

Took some pictures yesterday from her, still waiting for a test drive.
The part on the roof is NOT a spoiler modification, it's the wind deflector waiting to be fitted.

Regards
Christof
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, sworkscooper

Clutch is dead 5 years 8 months ago #187354

Christof. That car is saying ' Drive me Drive me ' ! Nice reg plate .
John

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT