Sign In   Register

Topic

Clutch is dead 5 years 8 months ago #187357

Thank you.
Went out for a short test drive. Clutch is coming very soon, but works okay. Always had an eye on the coolant temp.
The handbrake light is flickering sometimes. And the brakes don't bite as expected, but the discs were corroded.
Regards
Christof

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Clutch is dead 5 years 8 months ago #187366

The handbrake light is flickering sometimes. And the brakes don't bite as expected, but the discs were corroded.

Flickering handbrake light is first indication that the rear calipers are sticking. The shafts where the hanbrake cables atach might just need some lubrication, otherwise new calipers (or a full overhaull if you are brave, patient and nimble with the fingers!)

Clutch is dead 5 years 8 months ago #187375

I'm always impressed in what you guys do on your driveway, well done Christof. :broon:
Mark
95 MGF

Clutch is dead 5 years 8 months ago #187387

Agreed but rather jelous of Christofs drive, mine is that big I can park the F sideways and almost open both doors without encroaching over the pavement.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Clutch is dead 5 years 8 months ago #187654

Losing some brake fluid rear nearside dripping around the compliance bush. Checked brake and clutch fluid reservoir, clutch is o.k, but brake fluid was low which caused the flickering brake light.
Will have to get her on ramps for research.
Regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 5 years 7 months ago #187663

Taken a picture recently:
Attachments:

Clutch is dead 5 years 7 months ago #187664

Hi Christof. Is it just a case of a pipe that wants tightening or something more serious?
John

Clutch is dead 5 years 7 months ago #187665

Had replaced the corroded nearside brake line.
Will check the connections first.
Regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 5 years 7 months ago #187666

It was definetely the connection at the T-piece (see pic).

Unfortunately no access for special tool (11mm open ring spanner), so I'd have to use an ordinary open-ended spanner, tightened about 1/4 turn.
After that I topped up the brake fluid reservoir.
Wait and see.
Christof
Attachments:

Clutch is dead 5 years 7 months ago #187678

No more brake fluid loss! The tightening of the said connection cured the problem, thankfully.
And the brake fluid warning light seems to work fine.
The only thing to do is now to check the wiper motor, which left me high and dry last week: I was driving by night in Suisse along the Bodensee when a thunderstorm came up. First I stopped and closed the roof, then I discovered the wiper not working. What a nightmare!
Fortunately back in Germany the rain stopped. At home I first checked the fuse, which was okay. The relay is clicking also.
The plan is now to remove the plastic cover, disconnect the wiper plug and check the electrical thing.
Kind regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 5 years 7 months ago #187679

Hi Christof.
Do we all on the Tbar take it that the clutch woes are now behind you and everything is now okay. :woohoo: If so the wiper problem will be a breeze for you to fix . I think there have been a few cases on here of water ingress to the motor , where when the motor is stripped you find a rusty mess inside .
John

Clutch is dead 5 years 7 months ago #187698

It was definetely the connection at the T-piece
<<<snip>>>
Unfortunately no access for special tool (11mm open ring spanner), so I'd have to use an ordinary open-ended spanner, tightened about 1/4 turn.
<<<snip>>>

I replaced my brake line front to back and both sides, I had issues getting the T piece to seal, still not sure if it's correct.

Somewhere I have the 11mm brake line spanner, no idea where so had to do the same.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT