Sign In   Register

Topic

Clutch is dead 6 years 4 months ago #182019

Two days ago I wanted to drive her a few miles to a garage without useable clutch, as I wasn't able to connect the new flex-line to the brake-line-type connection underneath. Worked great about 2 miles. Then there was steam from the engine. Stopped and checked the coolant, was o.k..
Drove another mile, watched the temperature, which grew up. Stopped once again, the expansion tank was empty!
So we lent a tow-line and towed her to the mechanic.
They'll have to search for the coolant leak, connect the clutch-line, fill and bleed the complete clutch system, weld a small hole at the sill, align all four wheels, and, fingers crossed, get the TÜV.
Christof

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Clutch is dead 6 years 4 months ago #182020

Best of luck Christof .
John

Clutch is dead 6 years 3 months ago #182113

Thank you, John.
Two days ago I went to the garage, they told me they have to change the starter and the clutch slave cylinder, which was no good quality.
The bill grows up...
Maybe on Monday she'll be complete.
Regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 6 years 3 months ago #182333

Yesterday the garage called me, today I went there. The mechanic asked me what I had changed. Told him about the clutch release arm and the clutch. He said the clutch doesn't work, there must be a mistake inside. The gearbox needs to be removed. Once again.
WHAT THE FUCK! What a christmas present!
Will get her home tomorrow.
In desperation
Christof

Clutch is dead 6 years 3 months ago #182334

How much do you trust this garage?

Double check what they are telling you before removing gearbox.

Never trust a garage which finds more faults than you originally went in with!

I would say it is difficult to put the clutch together badly, but at a guess I would say release bearing has disengaged from the release arm if not been careful re-connecting slave cylinder!

Dont forget you can get to clutch without removing subframe!

Peter

Clutch is dead 6 years 3 months ago #182337

Hi Christof . I have to agree with GORSQ on this . If the release bearing has come off the fork when refitting the box this could be your problem . Don't loose heart with it .

John

Clutch is dead 6 years 3 months ago #182398

Got her home last friday. The clutch pedal didn't work anyway. Had to engage 1st gear and start the engine, changed gears by playing with the revs.
At home I removed the number plates and got her SORN, as she'd been driving only 20kms the last 16 months, the half of it on a tow-line.
Now she waits in the carport for the next steps.
The mechanic had told me they bleeded the complete clutch system many times, and it always lost pressure.
Two nights later I got an idea about the problem: when I had tried to connect the flexi clutch line to the fixed "brake"/clutch line underneath, I used heat, Plusgas and a hammer to losen the union nut of the fixed line (which didn't work). I recognised there was a little bend after my efforts. The idea is now that there has become a leak while they tried to bleed the system.
Will have to have a look. Only next year.
A tiny light of hope...
Regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 6 years 3 months ago #182400

What do they mean by "loosing pressure"?

Is it loosing fluid?

Is it engaging clutch, then backing back off (very unlikely!)

If you depress the clutch peddle the clutch release cylinder must move out about 5-10mm.

What happens when you release the clutch peddle? The release arm should push it back.

If not then you must sort this out first, before concerning yourself about what is happening inside the clutch.

The clutch is quite difficult to bleed from empty.

My method it to:-
  • use an eezybleed and open the bleed nipple until fluid comes out without bubbles and clean, then close the nipple.

• Assistant to press clutch peddle fully down.

• When fully down release bleed nipple slightly and note a little more fluid (and bubbles) escapes as the arm is pushed back, then close the nipple again.

• release peddle and then press down again and repeat several times.

This helps to get rid of any bubbles in the slave cylinder as the the bleed nipple is not on the highest point!

It took me several goes to bleed the clutch to give a very positive peddle, with no sponginess or free play.

If you do not have an eezybleed, then just open up the bleed nipple and let gravity work for you, and after a few hours fluid will start dripping from bleed nipple. Do not let the master cylinder run low on fluid!

The follow the steps to bleed air bubbles from slave cylinder above.

Last edit: Post by G0RSQ.

Clutch is dead 5 years 10 months ago #185224

Okay, yesterday I checked the clutch mechanism by the help of my beloved wife.
Everything works as it should. No fluid loss.
Will take the gearbox out once again...
Regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 5 years 10 months ago #185232

Hi Christof . My god matey you are certainly having your patience tested with this problem . Do I presume that when you say everything is working , you mean that the clutch arm is moving when you press the clutch pedal ? Easy for me to say this but don't loose faith . You will get there in the end .

John

Clutch is dead 5 years 10 months ago #185239

Thank you for your encouragement. Yes, the arm is moving as he should.
Regards
Christof

Clutch is dead 5 years 10 months ago #185396

Three half days now taken the engine out (step by step), today removed the nearside driveshaft and loosened all gearbox mounts. Tomorrow I'll take the engine crane to remove the gearbox.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT