Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 7 months ago #200024

Been there, done that, I wondered if it was because they were pattern and not OE what were yours?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 7 months ago #200025

Removed the rusty front subframe for renovation.
Attachments:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 6 months ago #200071

Made a boot popper for Gortour and fitted it to his car, at the same time fixing the broken bootlid wiring. His hood is a bit of a rag and my better one is scheduled to be fitted when I have time to re cover the frame on his and fit it to mine so we fitted my hardtop to his car and made plans to change what seems to be a duff front sphere on it sometime soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gortour

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 6 months ago #200078

Car will hopefully stay dry now. 😂
The perspex window suddenly started coming away from the hood on the lower driver's side section. Nice to have a second way of opening the boot, always a scary thought locking the keys in the boot. Thanks Tom. 😀

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 6 months ago #200130

Finally took the cover off the car and spent a happy (high) morning taking the sticky rubber coating off the centre dash fascia using cellulose thinners, a quick sand and then sprayed mini Astro black as I had some laying about :lol: , took the old gaiters or what was left of them, off the gearstick and handbrake and replaced with snazzy new ones with red stitching to match the roof! The difference is immense, and with all the clips now in, no more creaky dash.. the car is actually squeak free! Then put the roof down and took it out in the sun as a treat..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 6 months ago #200131

Started early and changed a flat front sphere on Gortour's car which needs dampers next. Fitted a 52mm TB bought cheaply, to his great delight. Took mine out to the shops for a run and will take it out again this evening. I shall use it next week a bit as it is due to be neglected for a week while I an in France.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gortour

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 6 months ago #200139

It's a lot better already, with dampers, it'll be great. 😎

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 6 months ago #200161

Hi, Minimax. I've got the solenoid and figured out how to fit it to pop the boot. But one thing no-one seems to have given in detail is just how to run the wiring, both to and inside the boot lid. I was hoping that this might be fresh in your memory. Is there a way to do this without dismantling half the car? I want to use permanent 'ON' power, so the cigar lighter seems a good bet on my 2003 TF, unless there's a permanent ON somewhere accessible in the engine bay.
Incidentally, my five-wire Cadillac solenoid doesn't have a return spring, but I've fitted one externally that returns the piston without robbing too much power from the coil.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 6 months ago #200162

Any brown wire should be permanently live.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 6 months ago #200167

Yes. Undo the left hand latch bolt and pass it through a 6mm solder tag with the earthy side wire from your solenoid through it. Refit the latch bolt. Pull the rubber bungs and the bootlid light out of the bootlid. Using a stiff wire as a fishtape, pull the other solenoid wire from one hole to the next one hole at a time and when you get to the grommet with the cable going into the car, pierce a small hole and route the wire through it from the inside.

Spray the tyraps with a silicone oil so you can safely pick them open to run the wire inside them before reclosing them and ensure there is enough slack but not too much around the hinge, before bringing it out into the hood well by cutting a 4mm slit in the big grommet where the water gathers, pushing a fairly wide tyrap crossways through it while you're there ( to keep it open and act as a drain, as well as a hole to route the cable through.) From there, run the cable behind the carpet securing buttons under the hood mech on the left hand side of the car and towards the front, then across the floor towards the fuse box, giving yourself a yard of slack before removing the two 10mm nuts holding the fuse box so that you can secure the end of the wire to the 1/4" connector from the unused fuse 3.

Remove the steering column cowling and drill a hole for the switch underneath, behind the two holes securing the cowling to the column. Route the slack yard up to there, cut it where you need to and connect the switch before refitting the cowling. Now put a 10 amp fuse into the unused position 3. You're done. Forty minutes tops.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DavePro

Last edit: Post by minimax.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 6 months ago #200168

Smashing, that brings back memories. De-bur the holes as you go, it’ll save you cleaning blood off the upholstery when you’ve finished.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 6 months ago #200175

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

Smashing, that brings back memories. De-bur the holes as you go, it’ll save you cleaning blood off the upholstery when you’ve finished.

:bust:
Always say a job's not finished until it's had a blood sacrifice...:slapme:
David
:shrug:

Time to create page: 0.571 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT