Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 11 months ago #199040

Ah an imperial measurement, now we understand each other!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 11 months ago #199041

The TF rack arrived yesterday, as did the DAB antenna so the car now has a phone and digital radio. Today, rear speakers. I could do the rack today and even the coolant pipes but I will be moving tools up to Gordon's today as the next job is making his car fit for the Le Mans trip and it is LEAKING WATER!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 11 months ago #199046

It’ll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the tf steering rack, initially I was a little ambivalent to the change whilst pondering the grazed knuckles, cricked neck & Volterol back. Manoeuvring, particularly in reverse required more recalculation than I would have though, obviously I am now hefted to it to such an extent that the last f I drove felt strange.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 11 months ago #199071

Before Gordon's car went to the great b road in the sky, it gave up its mark 2 airbag and the rear tub seal which made an immediate difference to my car. The door rattles just went away. The clutch bleeder arrived so that is on tomorrow's list, together with either fitting a new rack or stripping out the interior for the red leather seats I have coming.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 11 months ago #199082

Clutch bled. A litre of fluid pumped through and little improvement so I checked the operating arm which was completely free . The pivot was tight so I took the clevis pin out and lubed it all up. Slightly smoother action but no real over centre feel and a lower pedal than I like. Time to look at the master cylinder clevis and examine it for ovality. First though, I really must finish the low coolant alarm.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 11 months ago #199089

So I did. Routed the three wires from the sensor to the buzzer and fuse box through  the grommet under the hood well carpet on the driver's side. I ran the wiring under the carpet and into the fuse box, picking up for the time being on the fuse I put in for the mirrors. Drained off 250 ml and off it went. Good. What I saw in Gordon's engine convinced me that it isn't an optional extra. Tomorrow I might go off for a 600 mile jaunt, once I have removed the door cards.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 11 months ago #199111

The gearchange is much improved and there is the hint of an over centre action on the clutch. I have learned how to select the required track on the stereo and have worked out how to get three seats and four  door cards into an MGF. 

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 11 months ago #199143

They do indeed but the fitting costs added in meant that Asda do the best deal and they get them fitted by my local tyre fitter. I am going to be a heretic and put 195 section on the front rather than 185 as I think it will give me a balance I will like better.

It's touch and go for me - Asda are £10 more for fitted than Demon Tweeks unfitted but the man over the road from me will fit them for £10 a tyre and he is available without having to book.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 10 months ago #199193

Changed the gearbox oil. Collected Gordon's F from Southend. Removed NSF hub from same ready for a wheel bearing change. Needs a little work here and there but fundamentally sound. A week to go to ready both cars for Le Mans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 10 months ago #199202

Removed the clutch damper from mine. Gordon's got a new wheel bearing, a drop of oil on a sticky hood catch, a tyrap in the mirror bracket, the hand brake tightened and elastic straps on the hood. He is a very happy Gordon as he finally has an F.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 10 months ago #199222

A very busy day. Full scrub on Grrdy's interior which was pretty filthy and once that had been done, the ride height was investigated. The rather high passenger's side was at over 500 PSI so I reduced it to something more sensible and the ride height came into spec. "Try it now." When he came back ten minutes later, he was a very happy fellow. I took it around the block. It was, as I had predicted, VERY much better. I oiled the hood frame which made a difference, changed the clocks over and set to work on tidying the body. There was a bit of filling and touching in around the vents and some awful bodged repainting simply wiped off with thinners and touched in a bit more sympathetically. A good mopping and it looks just fine. It handles fairly well and all is now ready for the Sarthe.

Last edit: Post by minimax.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 year 10 months ago #199241

Been a bit of an up and down week for me

Spent the week on and off removing what was an abortion of wiring used for the front spots (previous owner used house flex, and separate non standard switch under the dash) when turned on the rear spot warning light on dash would illuminate?

Removed all the wiring and put in bin, purchased loom with relay and switch included from Ebay and ran wiring as per their instructions, couldn't get the lights to work, checked out everything with meter which seemed fine? Finally ran fused feed direct from battery to relay and proved live side of wiring was OK did same with earth and they finally worked (turned out I had a poor earth behind the dash to the new relay :-?

All working now :clap: but manage to kill the battery draining it with lights on etc. (it was 7 Years old) fortunately new Bosch battery was given to me by the previous owner which is now fitted and holds charge.

As a final kick in the groin the engine management light decided to illuminate :omg: so off I went to buy a cheap code reader. Cleared the code (flat battery was culprit)

Taking a rest from working on her and taking her out this weekend :drive:

Last edit: Post by Bluemoon. Reason: missed a word
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT