Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186510

In that warm weather we were having, I discovered that my heater was still blowing slightly warm on the cold setting.
Not a biggy, just needed to adjust the Bowden cable right?
Yep. I took off the driver's kick panel and loosened the cable clamp, adjusted it and refitted. When I went to refit the kick panel I had managed to lose one of the fixing screws!

Ah well, I just found a random black screw and refitted the panel.

Started the car and ran it up to temp to check the heater output. Yeah, blowing cold on cold and hot on hot!

Job's a good un, right?:broon:

Except...why is coolant dripping from the kick panel?

Yes, this total numpty had screwed that odd screw straight into the heater hose!:oops: :slapme: What a complete pillock! :slapme:

Well, Rimmer bros aren't the cheapest but they managed to get a new hose delivered by next day.
I've just completed the swap and all is good again..

I just want to say that who ever designed those spring hose clips should be dangled by one attached to his private parts over a pool of piranha!

What's wrong with jubilee clips ?

The top spring clip made a 30 minute job into a 3 hour marathon. :rant: It was aligned perfectly so that it was virtually impossible to get a tool on it!:bang:

You're right there David I've been changing a few of the coolant hoses. Mainly the ones in the engine compartment and trying to remove the spring clips was a nightmare of a job. Trying to get grips in between the engine and bulk head to remove the clips is certainly a test of anyone's patients.

:beer: :beer: Steve.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186511

It's paint off the cam shaft ladder gasket.garage showed me it when they did the head gasket. I had no idea how bad the problem would become.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186518

Invalid or non-existent item ID.

]

You're right there David I've been changing a few of the coolant hoses. Mainly the ones in the engine compartment and trying to remove the spring clips was a nightmare of a job. Trying to get grips in between the engine and bulk head to remove the clips is certainly a test of anyone's patients.

I found that the humble mole grip is best tool for the job. If you get the setting just right a quick squeeze locks the clip open enough to slide along the hose and then click the unlock bar once you have wriggled it into place

I have a set of small ones that are ideal

Last edit: Post by g7nbp. Reason: add link

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186519

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
Invalid or non-existent item ID.

]

I found that the humble mole grip is best tool for the job. If you get the setting just right a quick squeeze locks the clip open enough to slide along the hose and then click the unlock bar once you have wriggled it into place

I have a set of small ones that are ideal

:yesnod: I have a similar set of small grips but there was insufficient space between the hose clamp and the lower dashboard to get them onto the clamp lugs.Also working blind as the dash obscured the clamp area completely . In the end I managed to move the clamp around by pushing on one lug with a small screwdriver until I could get the grips on both lugs.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186528

Not so much me, but SWMBO hijacked the motor and had some work done on her as a birthday pressie!!!!
Painted brake calipers

New soft top with HRW

Fantastic red cockpit trim and red Alcantara seats

And finally Mike Satur windstop.

I'm a very lucky guy!!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Last edit: Post by Daleswalker. Reason: spelling

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186529

Very nice mate..I like that!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daleswalker

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186537

You will be paying for that later....trust me :dry:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186538

I think, if she drove, I would be in danger of losing the car to her but she doesn't so I'm safe!!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186554

Those alloy doorpins from alloy car parts will be coming off I'm beginning to dislike them..I'm going to get some of better quality...aswell as these not fitting correctly/having to drill them to fit the tf...the passenger side jammed a couple of times...removed the escutcheons for now untill I buy some more...who invented that word escutcheon?....

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186555

Escutheon is French, does that answer your question! I think it has it's origins in heraldry, daft word, but the language would be that little bit poorer without it.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186556

Just cleaned inside and out, checked the tyre pressures, screenwash and wiper blades.
MOT and Service tomorrow!!
Fingers crossed

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186557

Changed rear window zip slider, another job tick on Tifs to do list..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 1.241 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT