Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187457

…...Jon and Claire Norris also came over to fit a new clutch...….

They are paying me a visit soon to sort Tif out.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: To remove not needed parts of quote - bandwidth.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187475

Wednesday. My son stalled the tf while parking. On turning the ignition again nothing! Went to see what the problem was. Solenoid to starter looked to be the problem. Pushed it to bump start, fired first time. Swapped motors. He took the wee F I drove TF home. Phoned Gerry who confirmed we had a spare starter and he would fit it after work on Thursday.

Thursday. Drove to Lugar to get new starter fitted. Didn't stall it once. Gerry as always did the business. Now have new starter and managed to get a few days driving the TF. All good

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187480

….Solenoid to starter looked to be the problem.....

Hopefully it wasn't the common problem of the spade terminal on the starter.

Pleased it's now sorted.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187492

So the MOT fail was slightly high emissions (not a problem on a F according to the MOT tester man) and poor rear brakes (both road and parking).

So today I popped her up and whipped off the N/S/R wheel, attached the wire brush to the angle grinder and proceeded to clean up the disc. I decided that the easy way to do the inside face of the disc was to remove it and, although it cleaned up quite well, I may as well stick on the new discs I already have.

However I found the cause of the knocking AND the real reason for the poor rear brakes.

According to Rimmers blow up diagrams the front mount for the long suspension arm only has a bolt and no nut, the O/S mount obviously needed a nut as the bolt slipped all the way through, and I managed to find a photo showing said bolt.

However the N/S appeared to have a thread and appeared to tighten up. And I couldn't find any evidence to the contrary. However finding the bolt mostly out of it's ole advises that it needs a nut. And was probably the cause of the knocking. And moving around it has crushed the new brake pipes I have fitted.

I managed to lose the brand new bolt but did find a replacement bolt and matching nut (M10 80mm bolt with a 15mm shouldered head and M10 nut with shouldered 19mm head for the interested ones). And fitted same.

I started repairing the damaged brake pipes with a brake pipe flaring tool I've since last century but never used. However learning a new skill as it started to rain wasn't a good idea so I packed the tools away and had a drink instead.

The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, cairnsys, SundanceUK

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187516

Made a pair of anti-jam straps for the hood using 30mm elastic bought in the market and some poppers bought on eBay. I reckon they cost me less than £5, and work so far.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, SundanceUK

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187520

Two of the pipes were damaged, having to repair them kinda spoilt the reason for buying ready made pipes.

I then replaced the discs to realise the pads had worn unevenly so needed replacing, unfortunately the pads I had in the shed turned out to be for a ZS/ZR. I could have made them fit but is it worth the risk? I think not.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187577

Thursday. Drove to Lugar to get new starter fitted. Didn't stall it once. Gerry as always did the business. Now have new starter and managed to get a few days driving the TF. All good

Got my f back on Monday from my son. No fuel(as usual) and clutch felt wrong. On way to a funeral on Tuesday morning lost all gears. Forced it into second and took it to Gerry's work. Slave cylinder packed in with resultant loss of hydraulic fluid. Got a lift back to Kilmarnock bought a new slave cylinder for £46. Back to Lugar. Gerry did the job in no time but we struggled a bit bleeding the clutch. Plenty of stories on here about how difficult it can be. Eventually it started to play ball. Put engine cover back on and home for tea
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by talkingcars. Reason: To add quote brackets.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187594

Missing driving mine, can’t wait to get the Hg sorted..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187612

Made somewhere to keep the wheel nut sockets :lol:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, cairnsys, El gordo escoces

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187615

Nice job.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187624

Neat idea.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 8 months ago #187627

Neat idea.

Im intrigued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT