Sign In   Register

Topic

HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122350

Thanks for the link Mindy, will check that tomorrow.
Had the battery off this afternoon while i checked all the fuses, didn't make any difference.
Left it disconnected now, car looks very sad with its roof & bonnet up, cover removed and various parts & tools scattered around the garage.
:(

Oh well, time for a curry, a couple of beers and to watch Primal Scream & the Stones @ Glastonbury.
:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by richandpaula.

HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122351

WD40 is a water dispersant and is also quite a good electrical insulator.:shrug: Not the best thing to leave on electrical connections.

I remember many years ago, my cousin and I spent a whole evening cleaning up a second hand model railway set for his kids. We cleaned up the rails because they were a little bit rusty. He decided to spray them with wd40. Unfortunately the train wouldn't run... until we'd used electrical contact cleaner to get all the bleeding WD40 off the rails!
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122352

The starter motor is almost directly below the throttle body.
IF you have a spark, check the power to the fuel pump.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: richandpaula

HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122353

If you are getting a spark, it has to be fuel related, check the fuel lines or spray engine starter directly into the throttle body, if it starts on that then it must be fuel starvation

HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122354

Couldn't resist...

Found the crank sensor - its a long way down - See what you mean about see OR feel it!

Unplugged the ECU in the boot, both black plugs (took a bit to figure out how they disconnect), checked other plugs around that area too.

It was too tempting not to try it at this point, so reconnected the battery and turned the key...IT FIRED!!!

So while it was running I took it for a 10 mile drive around the block...
(apart from the cockpit getting rather warm and very noisy without the engine cover on) it drove fine.

So lets see what tomorrow brings...
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122362

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!

Did this work then?

Re:HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122365

Fingers crossed, Rich.

Ain't it funny, how time slips away...
Ain't it funny, how time slips away...?
The following user(s) said Thank You: richandpaula

HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122397

So after last nights escapades, this morning we're expecting the car to NOT start until the battery has been disconnected, left for 5 mins and reconnected...right?

1st attempt - 1st turn of the key.....IT FIRES UP!

I let it run for about 10 mins then switched it off and left it for an hour or so, while Paula made bacon baps.

2nd attempt - 1st turn of the key...IT FIRES UP!

Again, i let it run for a while.
We've reached the point of "do we turn it off yet? - what if it won't start again???" paranoia.

Paula is now convinced that 'Penelope' (her name for the car) has a built in security feature where she (the car) won't start if she doesn't recognize the driver, or decided to throw a strop because she didn't like my new (rather short) haircut...I've now banned her from watching any more 'Herbie' films...
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, phil-hex

Re:HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122400

It had a similar problem many many years ago. Cars should either start every time, or not at all. 'Random' not starting makes the car almost unusable as you are never sure if you go out in it that it will start again to get you home. I really hope you find the fault and fix it, more annoying would be it goes back to starting every time. I'd be paranoid. Us F owners have enough to worry about.
:-)
Cars - Making me poor since 1989

HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122418

Crank sensor looked at.
ECu unplugged, looked at and reconnected.
Car running.
New garden trellis fitted.
Side lights working.

Even Gave 'her' a hoover as a treat.

Ok, the trellis was a job done while i was waiting for the car to get up to temp - who said blokes can't multi-task.

Re:HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122456

Had a similar experience culprit was bad connection at large plug under throttle body this feeds the injectors and coil packs opened up and a couple of sprays with contact cleaner cured the fault

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, richandpaula

HELP!!! - Car wont start 10 years 10 months ago #122688

Hi Rich got your P/M so glad you fix it what was it in the end
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT