Sign In   Register

Topic

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #203061

Keep the thread going, sometimes they go off course and they can come back again, there's nothing worse than wondering how a project turned out. Sadly I never started one for my TF, it's been an education not only putting right what was wrong with it when I bought it but in the last week I have found more work to be done. I will get it on the road for what is left of the summer and replace both front ends of the sills and two new to me front wings. Has anyone noticed that offside front wings turn into lace quicker than those on the nearside.
As the one who caused the disruption I also see the benefits of informing others how things change. David is correct in saying how things were, I have tried to show how it has changed for the better. If you take his last example about the cheese maker then it's a good example of that change. He correctly states that years ago a lot of cheese whey was discharged into rivers, then they realised that by making butter from the residual fat in the whey they covered the whole cost of the cheese making process. The next improvement came with the body builders and their demand for whey protein which made the ultra filtration of whey profitable and led to new markets in the food industry in general. The only part left of the original whey is now the lactose (sugar), again this finds it's way into the biscuit makers and some goes back to the farms as a source of sugar for the cows, it actually creates a better balance of Amino Acids than molasses. It shows how a major pollutant has disappeared. It's just one example of how things change. In my lifetime I have seen other waste products become valuable ie citrus peel from the fruit juice manufactures (animal feed), the waste from making glucose syrup (antibiotic production, and a very special protein for chickens, it makes their yolks a very good colour) and the potato waste from (wall paper paste and animal feed)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #203065

When everything can become something else useful then we will have achieved a major landmark. WW2 German uniforms were made out of nettles, maybe that could go a long way in answering some very difficult questions.

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #203087

Every day is a school day!

I have certainly learned a lot over the last couple of weeks and the front end is slowly coming together.

So far this week I have given the steering rack a bit of a service..cleaned, re-greased, new ends and a fresh coat of paint.( Anyone have a part number or know what the foam seals are called ) see photo.

Tomorrow I'm getting the new bearings into the hubs and picking up the new subframe mounts.

Before I start putting things back into the car what is the best anti rust treatment for inside the subframe and what should I use on the new wishbones to prolong their life?
Attachments:

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #203092

I found it.
Seal - Steering Shaft Cover.

I was looking in the wrong place.

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #203093

Im glad you are continuing the thread.
For the box sections the recommendations would be Dinitrol or Lanoguard.
Both companies make a range of products so it's the type for spraying into cavities and box sections you would need for this. If you have an air compressor there are cheap air guns on Ebay for injecting the stuff.. For the external surfaces of the lower sills and the box sections a clean down to remove surface muck and spray over with Gravitex should be good and hardwearing. Gravitex is often sold with an airgun as a package and it's reasonably priced.

Blessed are the cheesemakers.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm
The following user(s) said Thank You: R40MGF, Airportable

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #203130

Evening everyone,

Yesterday I was supposed to get the wheel bearings pressed in at a garage but work overran and it just didn't happen.
So after a rather large scotch I ordered a bearing press kit from Amazon..here's how it went.

There weren't any instructions with the kit so I just winged it

I really thought that I was going to pull the bench from the wall or break the bar and when there was a loud crack I was fearing the worst... However.

Needed a little clean up but you could still see the honing marks.

New circlip in and again I setup what I hoped would work and it was a good result.

When it came to pressing the flange in I didn't want to damage the inner race so I went for this setup.

Now I just need to do that 3 more times ...:slapme:
Attachments:

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #203131

Thanks for the advice RE rust proofing.

The Lanoguard looks very interesting.

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #203132

I should have got a bearing press kit!
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #203133

That’s an impressive piece of kit, mine isn’t in the same league, mind you it wasn’t bought for wheel bearings, I now have bearing press envy. Lanoguard is derived from sheep’s wool grease & it’s a long time since I saw a rusty sheep.

Mission impossible 9 months 1 week ago #203157

I'm not loving the colour but can anyone tell me what else is wrong with the picture. :oops:
Attachments:

Mission impossible 9 months 1 week ago #203159

Are they not both near side front? How have you managed that?

Mission impossible 9 months 1 week ago #203168

Yes they are both from the same side..I had purchased a spare set incase mine were fubar. I had already painted one of them a few days ago and just grabbed the other out of the box without checking. :doh:

Time to create page: 0.312 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT