Sign In   Register

Topic

Mission impossible 9 months 3 weeks ago #202544

I would recommend diesel, enough to cover the crowns of the pistons and rotate the engine by hand (without spark plugs) to coat the internal faces. It will prevent further rusting and will help remove any gunk!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by TaffD.

Mission impossible 9 months 3 weeks ago #202545

I would say fair enough, there’s more than one way to skin a cat, I was thinking more of getting the moisture out rather than displacing it & moving it elsewhere. If the outcome is the same your way is certainly less of a fag than mine.

I was looking at the photograph of the stripped interior & noted the notional water line. When you get around to rebuilding that do be conscious of the seatbelt pretentioners, these have a charge built in which when fired draws the belt tight as you are projected forward into the airbag. These will in all probability be duff. A short while ago I commented on parts bin cars being easier to get parts for & this could be a case in point. The connectors under the seats are poor & many owners have made alternative arrangements, explore other Rovers & see if their seat buckled are similar to your f. I would like to bet a set off a 25 or 45 will be easier & cheaper to find on a scrap yard. If you source a a set from a scrappy get the whole loom under the seat, the connector is better & this is a job for me when the weather breaks.
Attachments:

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #202558

I wonder if the dehydrator plugs from the aviation world would work 🤔

Sorry to ask another question but can the ecu and alarm be tested off the car?

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #202559

And thanks for the advice RE the seat belt pretentioner. I hadn't even thought about that.

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #202560

You can test anything anywhere if the leads are long enough. Sorry I'm being facetious, I doubt you would be able to do an assessment without dedicated kit & as I've said elsewhere we are blessed with Paul at Technozen when it comes to MG Rover electronics. I would contact Paul, explain your predicament & gauge his response.
I can't recall if your car is a VVC, if it is & has the coil pack mounted to the rear of the engine, I would change that & the plug leads. If you find yourself in North East Lancs at any time PM me & you can have coils, leads, airbag controller & any other bits in my bit box that might take your fancy. I'm not sure how much your catalytic converter would appreciate a gob full of shit, it might burn out whatever its ingested but that might need changing.
M
Oh & your idea regarding dehydrator plugs goes to the top of the ideas chart !

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #202567

I spoke to Paul earlier today and he was very helpful.

On his advice I opened the box...
Attachments:

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #202570

I don't think they would, different size plug.

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #202572

Hum, that doesn’t bode well, did you get it used from Noah. It doesn’t take long before chemical reactions start after capillary action draws that ug under surface mount stuff. Not all lead out wires are tinned copper some are tin can & that just rusts to nothing.
The positive side is there’s no shortage of those & the other modules & you know the man to speak to as things progress.
Impressive so far.
M

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #202573

Noah.. lol.

I've never named a car before but..

I try to end my day with a positive but today's efforts were a trial.

Removing the rear bumper was a total failure. The 2 17mm bolts just won't move.
I then decided to remove the passenger side door handle because for some reason it won't open from outside and it's annoying me. that's a total pia of a job because I can't put the window down. I got it sorted (was just a loose screw) really bad design IMHO.

Today's win was the break calipers ..all came off easily and look like they will go again.

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #202575

That's two steps forward but only one back, for many who are on with lesser jobs than you, that's would be a good day.
M

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #202595

I have started the process of removing the subframe so that I can get started on the bigger jobs that need doing but it's really slow going 🐌

Today it's taken me 3 hours to get 4 bolts undone on the cat so I've just ordered some cutting discs..:whistle:
and a long breaker bar.

Anyone have a good idea how I'm going to get the bumper off?

Mission impossible 9 months 2 weeks ago #202596

Anyone have a good idea how I'm going to get the bumper off?

Probably the old fashioned way……..Brute force and ignorance!
Or you can use a subtle blend of psychology and extreme violence!
Either way you’ll most likely break the bolts.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT