Sign In   Register

Topic

TF disappointment 3 months 3 weeks ago #205360

AP, could not have put it better.
I'd like to be able to do on the TF whatever I can do on my B.
The TF is still a "modern" to me and I might even enjoy the slow learning journey we will have together.

As an expansion on your point, Mr Walsh showed me that the dowels in the block were not fully home. Even if I had read every word on the subject, I would not have been able to detect that. If you have done a hundred HGFs, it is obvious; a thousand and you are looking for it.

Incidentally, it makes the sellers' strapline of replacing gasket with every car sold, a bit unnecessary. If it ain't broke......

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF disappointment 3 months 3 weeks ago #205362

I was really pleased to read about this as I feel you have just had a bad experience with your TF . Hopefully you can start to enjoy the car if and when this chuffin weather calms down .
John
The following user(s) said Thank You: generous_dad

TF disappointment 3 months 3 weeks ago #205363

Taking an oblique view of your problems & the satisfactory resolution. A very short while ago you were in the slough of despond with your purchase. You were unable to see through the pea souper of a fog, with the only outcome being disastrous.
A chat with your virtual mates over a virtual pint in the “T” bar, new ideas form after sound guidance offered, a fresh route is identified & in next to no time at all the fog clears & there’s a fresh relationship with your car.
You won’t be the first person to have experienced difficulties & found the route to salvation through these pages.
M

TF disappointment 3 months 3 weeks ago #205372

Happy New Year.

Well, here is the update.
Russell Walsh came exactly on time. Within 3o minutes, he had the head off and found the leak of coolant in #1 cyl.
Made further checks and put on the appropriate gasket.
Lovely bloke and happy to talk cars and answer all the questions I had about my TF.

Thanks to those on here who steered me towards mobile repair.

Been out for a drive and very happy with the work and price.
I'm back on the road.

I'm pleased to hear that this has been sorted out. Russell Walsh was at the top of my list when you first asked about this. Although I haven't needed his services yet, I know a few people that have. They all expressed the same level of positive enthusiasm for his work as you. Living where I do, he'd be my first choice, although I know there are others out there, mostly 'up north'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: generous_dad

TF disappointment 3 months 6 days ago #205567

I send Graham Underwood messages using Facebook PM's (I don't know his alias here sorry). A brake servo brace and a snorkel brace are two different things. I fitted a servo brace in 2012 while doing a major service on the brakes ( Discs, pads, refurbished callipers, braided hoses, and fresh fluid) Apologise for the delay in answering your question.

TF disappointment 3 months 5 days ago #205577

I removed the snorkel when fitting a servo brace recently and made a simple brace for the back of the snorkel.
Although mine hadnt leaked it was clear the plastic of the snorkel bowed upwards between the bolt heads. At the front this was now held flat by the new servo brace but to sort the back i used a length of aluminum bar between the bolt heads and snorkel to hold it down uniformly. Due to the design there isnt a problem with the curved sides of the snorkel pulling up so this addition does the job nicely for almost zero cost.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

TF disappointment 3 months 3 days ago #205610

This would not be so bad if I had not bought it from a well-known dealer who replaces head gaskets on new cars sold.

What did they say when You asked them about the head gasket?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

TF disappointment 3 months 1 day ago #205627

On balance, I decided never to darken their dealership again.
I could have got into a discussion with the very best outcome being that they change it at their cost.
I have lost all faith in their offering and do not trust their work.
So, all that was left to me was to sell the car as is or to spend £500 on proper work.
Thanks to advice on here, I chose the latter and the work done by Russell Walsh was the best I could have wished for.
It is now a very enjoyable drive and will keep it for as long as I can.

TF disappointment 3 months 15 hours ago #205634

End result: Brilliant.
M

TF disappointment 3 months 8 hours ago #205638

Need to sort out the boot wiring - also note an article from R. Parker Esq in this month's Enjoying MG.
A few more minor jobs. It is a car that is close to totally straight as I could have got. Such a fun drive.

Contemplating the Engine Management upgrade (if I can get it signed off).

TF disappointment 2 months 4 weeks ago #205671

I can vouch that the replacement ECUs from Kmaps are terrific.They wrote the original engine management for the K series. Their update improves the efficiency for both economy and power and makes the car more pleasant to dive .
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

TF disappointment 2 months 4 weeks ago #205672

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis

... and makes the car more pleasant to dive .

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT