Sign In   Register

Topic

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205225

The other symptom, emulsified mayonnaise on the dipstick, pretty much removes the chance of it being a leaking hose connection sadly.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205229

Your encouragement is very welcome. 281, I really wanted a car that was good in so many areas that I succumbed to a dealer. If only, etc.
Another time, I will........ But here I am.
MOWOG, I have more of a cappucino maker than a dipstick at the moment. My money is on HGF (or the incorrect type used).

Anyhow, it sits on the drive until the RAC come and we arrange an At Home Recovery.
Mrs GD is starting to call it "The White Elephant". I keep telling her it is silver and her comments add nothing to help.

With experiences from others on here, it seems that there is hope. Carpet in on Xmas Eve (to avoid funny looks from the RAC patrolman) and then wait for the recovery truck.

Part 2 of the story to come...... and thanks once more.

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205231

By this time in a classic cars life, when most of their brothers & sisters have found their way to the dismantlers & the remainder have slipped comfortably into the hands of the enthusiast, most of the hardy perennial problems have been attended
to.
The problems, when they come along are fixable with updated/ rated replacements, created either by the manufacturer (usually in a panic) or by the string of pearls, in the form of people like Mike Satur, Darren at ‘Bitz, Jon at Rough Luck, et al.
It must be a great disappointment to turn up a lemon amongst all the sweeter fruit that are around, especially when it is from a reputable dealer. I can also understand the resistance from your better half who probably didn’t want in the first place.
I can’t second guess how you will extricate yourself from this situation, all I can say is that if/when you get clears of the smog & are into clear air you’ll love the experience of driving one of the last truly British sport cars & at a price that can still be afforded.
M

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205232

I am sure Mrs GD will come to love the TF, my wife didn’t want one, didn’t like it in one little bit. Having replaced all of the suspension and brakes she still wasn’t that keen, in fact I was disappointed as well. Then I had the four wheel alignment done and the TF was much better. After checking the alignment print out I realised they had used the wrong specs for the rear suspension, it was done again to the correct specs, the result is that she loves the car. We try to have a day each week when we go out together in it, preferably on some good driving roads. So far she has collected the back end every time it has stepped out of line, they are great little cars.

Last edit: Post by MGB281.

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205236

Good Fellows,
I have considered your advice. My good MG-owning chum also put me straight.
I have contacted Jon and waiting his reply.

No need to spend good money on moving the car when Rough Luck can come to me.

I'll spend money on this to get it right. Maybe a year down the line, I might have even done it myself.

Jon seems to know all about which gasket to use once the head is off, according to his website.

The ironic thing is that the car was probably OK before the dealer touched it as a part of their handover process. There was no mayo on the dipstick when I first saw and drove the car.

Thanks once more. Really appreciated.

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205237

Just one more thing.

Would you change belt and pump while he is in there? I have no idea what was fitted by the dealer despite certificates and all fine words.

If you are buying, think twice about driving up the A1.

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205238

Just one more thing.

Would you change belt and pump while he is in there? I have no idea what was fitted by the dealer despite certificates and all fine words.

If you are buying, think twice about driving up the A1.

Definitely change it then you are good to go for a good while. Once the head gasket has been done properly they don't normally ever go again. The best advice is to get a low coolant alarm, they are a DIY fit and some of them can be bought for £25

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205239

Jon will guide you through what should be done, it’s not that he comes to do the one job, he’ll have all the kit with him.
If you should need a new head (you won’t) he’ll have one with him either with VVC or a 135 etc.
if it’s raining they’ll put up a shelter & simply get on with the job. He did my tf when I wasn’t well & it was an experience to see how it was done by someone who could smell a problem from a mile away.
Take heart you’re not the first to be disenchanted, twelve months down the line this episode will just be a memory & make you laugh.
M

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205240

281, one good thing about a 2005 TF is that it came with a factory fitted low coolant warning.

AP - I kinda hope I will have that feeling. The car is good except that (rather large) problem.
Now I am itching to get on with it - Jon has not answered yet. Maybe the HGF season.

Will keep you all updated with the saga.

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205241

Jon is always kept on the go, not only with our cars but most if not all of the later Rovers & not just in GB. When I arranged for him to visit me he was out in Portugal sorting a car, but once you are on the list you will be able to set your watch by him. If he says it’s a nine o’clock start that is just what it is.
Don’t consider this as a saga, it’s a passing inconvenience, the Norse Sagas lasted hundreds of years,Orkneyinga Saga was a litany of blood & booze with a bit of incest & light entertainment thrown in, not that Magnus found some of it entertaining.
M

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205246

Encouragement is much appreciated.

The story has moved on.
Rough Luck won't be near me for the foreseeable and Jon recommended Russell Walsh.
Called him today and he will do the work in very early January.

All quiet until then but given the helpful replies, I wil update you with the outcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

TF disappointment 4 months 1 week ago #205254

Mayonnaise on the dipstick isn't always because of head gasket failure..
Does your car overheat or loose coolant every time you you drive it?

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT