Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 2 weeks ago #203837

More sound deadening……
Two points: sum total of loose change found 1p.🤷‍♂️
On the floor pan when I got at it it was very slightly damp. Nothing else was thought, none of the carpet, foam, no tide marks, no residue. Condensation?
Other side tomorrow weather permitting.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 2 weeks ago #203842

If you have the original airbox for the fresh air rather than the later snorkel type this could have dropped a small amount of rainwater into the passenger side via the large elbow that goes into the heater matrix. Due to the position of the heater pipework the moisture can end up underneath the carpet rather than on top. I had this on my 115 until I changed to a snorkel
2003 TF 135 sunstorm
The following user(s) said Thank You: MAXTHEDOG

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 2 weeks ago #203844

Hmm, I’ve got the snorkel fitted. The fact that it hasn’t rained for a good few days and has been very warm here makes me think/hope it’s condensation rather than a leak. Time will tell no doubt.
Cheers,
Michael.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 2 weeks ago #203845

That could be it. The humidity has been high which will have added to the condensation
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 1 week ago #203877

Having the snorkel fitted doesn’t guarantee dry carpets, one doesn’t equate to the other if the packer between the bulkhead & snorkel is compromised.
When I went from the box type I fitted a new packer which was in my opinion too thin & proved so to be, I made my own & it has proven to much better.
Explanation later if required.
M

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 1 week ago #203879

Thanks for that Airportable. If you don’t mind explaining I’ll do the same.
Cheers,
Michael.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 1 week ago #203884

Yesterday we went to see if some of the Yorkshire roads were as good as I recall & some were. Some were so good my wife advised less enthusiasm!
We parked at Brimham Rocks & went for a walk, when closing the doors both gave a satisfying clunk which reminded me of your post.
I recall being with others who had a range of models & noted the difference in door clunks. The later the car, the less tuneful the note, mine however was bass baritone to the baritone, tenor & soprano of the other f’s, tf’s & 500’s.
I never questioned this until being reminded by your comments & I think it could be to do with the lack of door card fixing hardware when I bought the car.
I couldn’t find replacement clips that held the card in place unless I bought far too many or paid far too much & all we’re buggered in some way. I therefore fitted rivnuts in the door, drilled the cards & fitted blacked stainless countersunk socket headed screws to replace the clips & thin self adhesive foam where the card hangs on the sill. New stainless hardware all round plus re-engineered bits on the shut side.
Taking the cards off & replacing them is a doddle, no straining the card on its way off or banging & thumping putting it back on. I suspect that this system has subdued much of the door rattles & "thunked" up the closing sound.
I’m full of tricks like this.
M

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 1 week ago #203894

Another thought on my declattered car & it has to be said that the declatteration is a side effect of other things which when you sum those parts,lead to a general quieting. I have gas struts on both bonnet & boot, on the bonnet because I hate stays & on the boot because of the spoiler & sagging hinge springs. These exert a constant force & that tension subdues panel resonances, not only with the lids but they act against the fixing points on the tub, rear wing panels & front wings.
Anyway you asked about how I made the packer for the snorkel.
I have a routine running constantly in my head which when seeing something interesting asks;
“can I use it?”
“Is it free?
Yes
Grab it
If no
“Is it cheap?
If yes
“buy it”
If no
“I didn’t want it anyway”.
This packing was cheap & it’s probably available on eBay.
It’s self adhesive, has a graticule on the back, which makes for easy registration before cutting & if you are joining it either at right angles or end on doesn’t tend to creep, although I tend to be generous at those points. On the snorkel picture you can just make out the foam being squished out indicating a good seal.
M

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pics inserted

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 1 week ago #203897

Hello Mike,
Thanks for the last two posts. I’ve since done the drivers side of the floor pan but not had a chance to take it for a spin.
I’ve had the snorkel off a couple of weeks since when installing the brake strengthener and didn’t pay any attention to the seal. I’ll have to have another look and maybe do some testing. I wonder if the stuff I’ve used on the panels could be used as a seal as the bitumen will give and it’s obviously got adhesive on one side.
Time will tell.
Regards,
Michael.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 1 week ago #203898

At first I thought your sound deadening material would be an ideal candidate, however on reflection I’m reappraising that thought. It might prove to resilient as you clamp the snorkel down causing the plastic to bow, putting excess strain on the structure.
The illustrated closed foam banding squashes down to next to bugger all where clamped but retains its fullness where the plastic isn’t held as tightly.
It’s all experimentation, non of this is proscriptive, I’ve learned an awful lot by having had to throw failed experiments in the bin.
I was turning up a blanking plug for an experiment I’m on with & I’d got it 90% done when my wife called me in for tea, made me jump & I had to start again after tea as I’d take to big a cut in that instant of distraction. Hey Ho.
M

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 1 week ago #203909

Turning up as in on a lathe? Ouch !!!
I too have had a re-think. I need to wait till I’ve got a spare pair of eyes and hands available to man the hosepipe while I do the relevant checks down below. That’s what the Good Lord created younger brothers for after all.
Cheers,
Michael.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 8 months 1 week ago #203910

Yes lathe, I’m considering fitting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator in an attempt to sort out an aberration in performance, there’s a flat spot & I’m trying to make it a hump. I was turning a blank to replace the existing FPR & rework the fuel rail. I might have got away with the first but I have a propensity to cock up somewhere along the line & then make an absolute pearler of the next.
The younger brother comment doesn’t apply to me as I have that honour, give my elder brother a hose pipe & we’d all be wet & the dog & next doors cat.
The Good Lord inspired my wife to buy me an umbrella just in case my brother visited whilst the hose was out.
M

Last edit: Post by Airportable.
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT