Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 11 months ago #185856

As commented elsewhere, I'm just glad that despite the new rules I was allowed to drive Hesketh home to fit it, otherwise I'd be paying for mechanic discomfort at around £60 per hour.

A garage does not have the right to "impound" your car!

It could however get messy if you have to call the police for the return of your keys and property, as they could then do you for driving an unroadworthy car as you leave.

The garage must make it clear though that they advise against driving the car for safety reasons, otherwise they could get sued if you have, or cause, an accident after leaving.

I had a dealer try and stop me leaving when i enquired about replacing a broken tail light, but I had non of it and demanded my keys back.

(got home, and replaced lamp with cheap ebay one a few days later)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 11 months ago #185857

Indeed... But therein lies the grey area... MOT fail results in instant flag on the national database. ANPR cams that subsequently see you driving home could I assume be sufficient evidence to hand out a conviction if law enforcement run a simple retrospective database query. In essence no, the garage is not holding to random, but new law does.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 11 months ago #185860

I as a rule always test my cars 1 month prior to the certificate expiry date so I still have a valid certificate for a month . My test station does not have the capacity to store cars that fail the test and they themselves don't do repairs so, I think you would be very unlucky to get stopped by the boys in blue if you had a fail and were taking it away to repair. I would like to think most on the tbar have a bit more knowledge about their cars to allow one to be tested with a humungous fail list on the cards. I think most on here know their cars weak points and sort them before testing .

John

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 11 months ago #185861

Indeed. As will be evident from previous forum posts, I've spent the last few weeks doing exactly that, which is why the only item that needs attention was a new and unexpected fault. The garage is literally 150 yards from home, but I still made sure I checked with the guys at the garage if car was safe to take home to fit switch before driving. Almost every one on here would do the same... But it's still worrying. People who are not car enthusiasts and may be unaware of a dangerous suspension fault who take their car to an MOT only centre would surely have to pay to get their car recovered to a garage that could repair the fault once the MOT has been failed.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 11 months ago #185880

Fitted a new Cigar lighter (eventhough I do not smoke - it has a built in light!).

Car passed MOT this morning.

Joy

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 11 months ago #185882

Well done . :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fisher

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186020

MOT now passed :)

Tracking being checked...

Sorted!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186026

Woo hoo ! Well done. I take it that your back survived the brake switch fitting ? :-)

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186027

yes, though several months of physio and some form of psychological support may well be needed!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186039

Had an eventful McDonald's breakfast run the other day.

First off, we pulled into the car park and I noticed the air vent grille was missing on the passenger side, luckily it was inside the vent!

Next, on the way back home it started raining so she put the wipers on, few minutes later the passenger side wiper blade flew off with a bang.

Luckily we were able to pull up and stop the wiper arm doing any damage to the screen.

Got 2 decent quality flat blade wipers from home bargains for £1,99.each.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186143

Two coats of Fabsil on the roof....

Watch it start to rain now!

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 5 years 10 months ago #186148

Changed the n/s front Hub, after wheel bearing collapsed, got very wet in process but at least TF is back on road, more importantly as she’s booked in for a cambelt change on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.302 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT