Sign In   Register

Poll: Should the UK motorway speed limit be increased from 70 mph? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Topic

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112552

The motorway speed limit in the UK has been 70 mph since 1965. It's time to cast a well overdue vote folks. :yesnod:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112561

It should be increased but there should be a more stringent version of the MoT that you have to pass before you can go faster.

Also all commercial vehicles should be banned from the outside lane of motorways.
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mogatrons

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112564

Cars have moved on so much since the 70 mph limit was brought in.

Think the main thing to improve are the left hand drive lorries, that don't have the right mirrors to cover their blind spots.

Not much you can do if one of those starts moving into your lane, if you are overtaking it.

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112565

I'm with Pete,

braking, suspension, steering etc are all a million miles from where they were when the 70MPH was introduced.

That said, the number of people on the roads who aren't competent drivers seems to increase all the time.

Rich.
Understeer - When you hit the wall with the front of your car.
Oversteer - When you hit the wall with the back of your car.
Horsepower - How fast you hit the wall.
Torque - How much of the wall you take with you.

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112566

• Visitor
  • Visitor
glad i started a good debate I will print these off and put it to the chap running the class,30 people at 150 pound each a time 4 classes a day.im buying a speed camara

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112567

• Visitor
  • Visitor
just make people take an advanced couse to allow them to drive at 90 mph on the motorway,after all the police go on about how highly trained they are,but that wont bring in the pennies

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112571

Given the advancements in brakes etc.. I voted for 90mph

Some will argue about the crashes and the deaths.. I call it natural selection :coat:
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112572

Compulsory driving tests every 5 years. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack of Hearts, MaddAussie

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112575

A substantial increase in the limit would be dangerous without some other changes ie HGVs limited to lane 1 with possibly the exception of 4 lane stretches, enforcement of existing laws for middle lane hoggers maybe variable minimum speeds for different lanes as one of the biggest problems is the disparity of speeds of vechicles in the same lane
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112576

We had the chance to drive on England's motorways last summer. On our drive from Northampton to Aiketgate we found that volumns of traffic were such for most of the journey that an increase in speed would be dangerous. Although cars can certainly go faster, there's just too much traffic.

As an FYI, most US states have 70 mph as their maximum speed, and so do must Canadian Provinces. I begin the question the ability of the average driver to safely control their cars at a speed above 70 (even at 70 many are scary).
Mark
95 MGF

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112578

Should only be raised upto 80mph and only this speed in the 'fast' lane.

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 4 weeks ago #112587

Gosh, is there a speed limit on the motorways? It wasn't that obvious last time I was on one (nearest one to me is a 120 miles away). Also while on the subject of speed limits, is it true that these are lifted UK wide on Friday afternoons or is that just up here?

I spent a number of years pounding up and down the German autobahn where generally there are no limits. The rule in Germany (unofficial of course) is that you move over if some one wants to pass - this includes pulling out of the overtaking lane at 80 MPH in to a stream of lorries doing 40 MPH up hill - this is why you have ABS of course. If you don't pull over you will have a German (generally) at 2 metres off your rear bumper with all his lights on including his indicators. Your alternative is to just go faster. Many years ago a friend of mine driving his old but well preserved DB5 was subject to the lights treatment at 120 MPH by a BMW. He pulled over and once the BMW was in front returned the compliment...the BMW gave-up at 150 and my friend sailed past - no doubt humming Land of Hope & Glory. Unlike the French, the Germans still have no limits when it is raining hard. I witnessed some monumental pile-ups but that's OK because everyone in Germany has to carry a first aid kit in their car

Raise the limit to 80 and many will think that 90 is acceptable and will want to intimidate anyone going slower in front of them even when they are clearly overtaking slower traffic. So we might as well just get rid of the motorway speed limits.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Whiz

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT