Sign In   Register

Poll: Should the UK motorway speed limit be increased from 70 mph? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Topic

UK motorway speed limit. 10 years 10 months ago #121918

This is a difficult one I have driven all over UK and Europe in all sorts of vehicles and I have also spent 5 years on motorway recoveries so have attended many accidents.
The max speed across most of Europe is 130kmh or 80 even on some 2 lane motorways but they have MUCH less traffic per mile of motorway than we do in the UK. I drove for over 100 miles in the middle of the day on a Spanish motorway and only saw about 5 other cars.
When I was doing motorway recovery the official line for cause of accidents is nearly always speeding however that's not the case even the police admit this unofficially. High speeds will make an accident much worse BUT most where caused by drivers falling asleep or being so bored they where not pay attention as a result of the modern car being far to capable of much higher speeds. Lets face it if you have ever driven an old Mini at 70 for an hour or 2 the last thing it induces is the desire to sleep. So is it safer to drive faster because adrenalin will keep you awake and alert? Well yes if your the only one on the road and No because you will still have those that drive slow and fall asleep and so swerve in front of you :hgf:
So whats is the answer? In my humble opinion the speed limit shouldn't be fixed it should vary according to the time of day, motorway load and conditions

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:UK motorway speed limit. 10 years 10 months ago #121949

I have another solution...

Don't use motorways or dual carriageways. A and B roads were made for MGFs. :)

Ain't it funny, how time slips away...
Ain't it funny, how time slips away...?

Re:UK motorway speed limit. 10 years 10 months ago #121962

Don't use motorways or dual carriageways. A and B roads were made for MGFs. :)

Amen to that. :broon: :broon:

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT