Sign In   Register

Poll: Should the UK motorway speed limit be increased from 70 mph? (was ended 0000-00-00 00:00:00)

Topic

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113460

Answer B/. Have people sitting around in traffic jams burning fuel,

Sorry totally disagree. I don't think for one minute that the congestion on our roads is purposely masterminded for us to be sitting around all day in jams going nowhere.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113474

Restricting LGV operating hours will lead to more movements in the unrestricted periods.

How. A truck can move only as much as the driving hours permit. When a drivers done his 9 hours driving that's it parked up for the night. If a truck starts and finishes at a depot then a second shift can be done by another driver that's common practice. The only way more movements can happen would be illegal movements, and you have already said much of that has been stopped by the new digital tachographs and VOSA.

I think what he means is more journeys on the roads at unrestricted times. You have say 5.000 lorries on the road per weekend day, you take two of those days away and you will need to find space on the roads for another 10,000 lorries on the other five days. Most lorries than run from Depots daily will run double shifts anyway, its the only way to make then pay nowadays.
It would mean more jobs on the market for driver though...

Supercover has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Social hand grenades don't exist. ;)

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113498

It should be increased but there should be a more stringent version of the MoT that you have to pass before you can go faster.

Also all commercial vehicles should be banned from the outside lane of motorways.

HGVs and any towing vehicles are banned on 3 lane and above from the outside lane.

I'd be happy for the likes of ≤ 3.5t (transit/sprinter) and car derived vans to be allowed in the outside lane. They can generally do 90 quite easily.

Otherwise yes agree

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113499

Where has this hatred of LGVs come from?

Don't forget how your computer arrived at your suppliers, how your food arrived at your super market................

2 No overtaking for HGV over 7.5 t on certain stretches of motorways and hills.
3 Compulsory HGV ban at the weekends except if been issued with a permit or carrying perishable goods.
The weekend ban would force the HGV drivers to have their weekly rest which is a legal requirement and maybe put a stop to cowboy drivers exceeding their driving hours. It works all over Europe yet we in the UK don`t seem bothered.

Rant Over

Vehicles over 3.5 t have artificial speed limiters but that doesn't mean that they are all only cabable of manging 40mph on hills on the motorway. All our lorries do a true 56mph where as most supermarket lorries are limited to 50mph.

Strangly enough the week is 7 days, even if most only work Monday to Friday, the modern world runs 7 days a week, banning lorries at weekends would increase lorries on the road Monday to Friday.

How about we ban cars from the left 2 lanes on motorways and ban cars from the roads on Tuesdays and Thursdays?

Sorry Paul, your veiws are extremly narrow minded and not completly accurate.

No your wrong. Not narrow minded views at all. Everything I stated there has been in operation all over Europe for longer than I can remember. This is not hatred of trucks its common sense. How many times have you been behind a truck travelling at 56 mph overtaking a truck at 55.5 mph and causing frustration with all behind them both. That never happens in Europe. I am not saying a total overtaking ban that would be silly. The trouble with trucks in this country is give them two lanes and they want two, give them three and they still want two, give them four and they want three. I have already said why a weekend ban would work so your argument is lost if you don't understand it. In the 25 years I have been driving in Europe these laws have been in place. and I mean all of Europe. So much for your modern world, Its about time the UK caught up.
Ban cars on Tuesdays and Thursdays, why answer if you cant put across a proper argument. I would have expected better from you.

Where have you stated that it'll work?

We have one of the highest population densities in Europe, less railfreight than most of Europe (and not enough rail paths to greatly increase it - Especially on the two main lines to the north) and some of the most congested roads, and one of the lowest motorway milages per square mile in Europe.

Unlike most of Europe the vast majority of our shops open on Sundays. Like it or not our lorries have to run 24/7.

In Europe they have a decent motorway network, enough high speed lines to allow more freight paths on the conventional lines, less congestion on the whole and restricted need for deliveries at the weekend. That's why it works over there. We need more roads and more rail paths for it to work here.

Also remember the motorways were built primarily for the transport of goods. The transport of people is their secondary purpose.

Last edit: Post by cjmillsnun.

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113503

Answer B/. Have people sitting around in traffic jams burning fuel,

Sorry totally disagree. I don't think for one minute that the congestion on our roads is purposely masterminded for us to be sitting around all day in jams going nowhere.

I didn't say or mean that, Paul.

The point still stands as I posted, which is which brings in more money? Obviously more fuel used to do the same journey gives the govermnment more money, so where is the incentive to do anything about the traffic, not that the government has caused it.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113509

Bored of the adding more restrictions to LGVs argument.

It should be increased but there should be a more stringent version of the MoT that you have to pass before you can go faster.

Also all commercial vehicles should be banned from the outside lane of motorways.

HGVs and any towing vehicles are banned on 3 lane and above from the outside lane.

I'd be happy for the likes of ≤ 3.5t (transit/sprinter) and car derived vans to be allowed in the outside lane. They can generally do 90 quite easily.

Otherwise yes agree

Smaller (0ver 1.5t IIRC) commercials are now restricted to 60mph.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113511

where is the incentive to do anything about the traffic, not that the government has caused it.

It seems that they're happy enough about the situation from where I'm sitting. I think that they have caused it to a degree by not regulating that 1965, 70 mph speed limit to be in line with the times. I do see the need to keep the freight rolling and, like it or not, it looks like it's here to stay.

Occasionally, I'd welcome the legal opportunity to zip ahead of the traffic on the motorway at times. :yesnod:

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113578

I am not fussed about how fast someone can drive. I am more interested in how fast they can react and stop.
Ain't it funny, how time slips away...?

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113627

The speed limit here in Victoria, Australia is Max 110KPH on selected roads, 100KPH is the norm. The max over is 3KMH before you start getting points and fines deducted.
Our road toll is terrible due to the lack of skill and low speed limits, apparently it is an offence to overtake on the inside but in over thirty years of driving here it seems to be the norm. Our outside lanes are not overtaking lanes but just another that you can sit in 5kph under the limit but feel safe.
Whilst in the UK a couple of months ago sitting on an average of 80mph on the M25 I felt much safer in the 1500miles I travelled.
Cars are much safer and road surfaces are better than when 70MPH limits were set so they should go up at least to 140KPH and with your 10% plus 2MPH that almost 100mph travel!

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113670

I hear what you are saying, Andrew. The accident/injury/mortality statistics that I have seen from Australia scare the bejasus out of me. Reminds me of driving in South Africa, when I lived there.
Ain't it funny, how time slips away...?

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113752

I am not fussed about how fast someone can drive. I am more interested in how fast they can react and stop.

At any speed above 50 mph it's always advisble to use the two second rule. Three seconds if going faster than 70. :yesnod:

UK motorway speed limit. 11 years 3 weeks ago #113761

Smaller (0ver 1.5t IIRC) commercials are now restricted to 60mph.

Didn't realise that... Been out of the industry for 10 years now.

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT