Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine bay felt sound proof liner 3 weeks 1 day ago #206440

My Mgtf engine bay sound proof liner is falling to bits. Any suggestion of the best way to repair it. I am considering buying a roll of self adhesive aluminium faced sound insulation to cover the felt. So has anyone any experience of trying this or any other suggestions

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Engine bay felt sound proof liner 3 weeks 1 day ago #206442

You mean the mouldy old dead dog that lays on the engine cover…….bastard things always fall to bits. I chucked it to the shithouse and keep a rubber backed picknick rug back there.
It comes in handy if you need to lay or kneel on the ground to fix something
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, Newbe

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Engine bay felt sound proof liner 3 weeks 1 day ago #206443

It doesn’t matter how often Cobber refers to the sound deadening material a a dead dog, it always makes me laugh.
I used aluminium backed bituminous strip, usually used for repairing lead flashing, which is why I had some about the place. On top of that a piece of reconstituted foam, a couple of inches thick, cut to shape, obviously.
This came off eBay & wasn’t expensive in context, I couldn’t detect any difference between the dead dog & my amended invention.
At the end of the day all you require is something to subdue the drumming resonances, you still want to hear the exhaust note especially if you have shelled out for an example of distinction with a characterful tambour.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newbe

Engine bay felt sound proof liner 3 weeks 1 day ago #206444

I've retained my dead dog engine cover for now but it's days are definitely numbered as each time I lift it out the thing crumbles a bit more. I find it is also very awkward for accessing the 5x hood retaining clips on the occasions I've had to lift the back of the hood. It has to come out again in the summer when I change the cambelt and waterpump so that maybe the time to chuck it in the loft and replace with a more durable DIY solution as Cobber and Airportable have.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last edit: Post by Notanumber.

Engine bay felt sound proof liner 3 weeks 11 hours ago #206450

You might be interested in reading this, it’s really more about installing a sound deadening kit than the engine cover though.

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/modern-mg-forum.54/soundproofing-kit-for-mgf-mgtf.4774080/

Engine bay felt sound proof liner 3 weeks 10 hours ago #206452

If you are looking for the engine bay cover, then you can order a pre-cut mat from NKG (it is not listed on their website but is available if you contact them):

https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product-category/vehicles/

It is a rubberized material and will not break up.

If you are looking for the soundproofing for inside the engine bay, this is no longer available and you will need to make it yourself. NKG mentioned above sells an adhesive soundproofing material with foil that could be cut to fit (different material than the engine cover mentioned above).

Engine bay felt sound proof liner 2 weeks 5 days ago #206470

I used (quite a lot of) Gorilla tape to strengthen the cracks in the heavy engine bay sound proof liner, but especially I used it to repair the broken "hinge" pieces where the difficult clasp fixings are set. By binding tightly around the exposed inner filling material of the mat in these places it has definitely improved things.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT