Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 3 weeks ago #205430

My bonnet cable has just broken. How can I open the bonnet?
TIA

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 3 weeks ago #205432

A while ago there was an article on TV showing an art piece, it was a six foot recreation of a traditional can opener, that would do the trick & give you access to the broken bits.
M

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 3 weeks ago #205433

Sorry, I couldn’t resist it. I haven’t had need to sort this problem out, but others on here have. This isn’t a subject discussed in open forum but I’m sure someone will PM you with some info.
M

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 3 weeks ago #205434

It would not be appropriate for obvious reasons to put information on this forum as to how to do this. Although I am sure the the thieving light fingered brigade in every town in the UK would do this in minutes without this forum's input! It would be ok however to PM James 1800 with details of how best to do this.
I have not attempted this type of ' break in' so have no experience to pass on .
John

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 3 weeks ago #205435

Watch out now James for PMs from forum members on how to work around the stuck bonnet issue. Unfortunately it isn't something that can be put in the open forum given it is publicly accessible.

This reminds me I need to install a secondary means of opening in case the same happens to me.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm
The following user(s) said Thank You: mnripley

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 3 weeks ago #205442

So far I haven't received any replies or help

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 2 weeks ago #205444

https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/54-how-tos/91901-bonnet-release-remote

See the "how to" when you have solved it.
To solve it I think the answer is recorded in one of Roger Parker's books.
If I can find it I'll indicate which page etc. From what I can recall it is not straightforward but can be done.

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 2 weeks ago #205445

Google MGF or MGTF broken bonnet release and you will find the answer on several different forums, since the info is widely available there is no real reason to with hold it. If you are a member of the MGCC you can PM Rob Bell for the answer.

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 2 weeks ago #205449

So far I haven't received any replies or help

To be fair, making your first post on an open MGF forum a request for information about breaking into an MGF is probably not the best course of action. I don't know how to do this myself but my guess is that it involves getting under the car.

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 1 week ago #205517

The best I can offer is page 64 of Roger Parker’s book MGF and TF Restoration Manual. It is complicated, a big fiddle and success is difficult to achieve.
Good luck.

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 1 week ago #205520

Eleven days ago I said google MGF broken bonnet cable or similar, obviously no one has, here is the first one that I found, remember to spray plenty of lubricant around the lock before attempting this, it will help the lock move more easily;
“get a very long screwdriver (or similar); lay under the front bumper looking up; you should see the catch - use the screwdriver as a lever to operate the catch while somebody gets ready to open the bonnet”.
If that doesn’t work try one of the others, remember Google is your friend. Also remember that the same question has been asked (and answered) on the MGF register, MG-Rover, Pistonheads, and RAC forums probably several others as well.

Bonnet cable broken 3 months 1 week ago #205524

Yeah I don’t really see a how to, on opening the bonnet with a broken cable as being much of a security issue.
I doubt the average scumbag scrote would bother to check the forum to find out how to do it…….. they’d rather just destroy your bonnet, with a jimmy bar.
I’d rather they could get in and out to steal the worthless crap in there than do any damage.

I had a Volvo 265GLE wagon that some deadshits decided to break into, they wrecked the tail gate to get in, stole some mostly worthless stuff…….certainly the damage cost more to fix than the value of the stuff stolen.

It also happened with a Landie series 2 hard top, the intelligencia that smashed the back window to get in, couldn’t find anything worth stealing……….the sad part is that there was no lock on the tailgate, all they had to do to get in was turn the bloody handle under the window that they smashed!………bloody morons!

Locks only keep out honest people!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT