Sign In   Register

Topic

Eagle has landed 5 months 1 week ago #205062

On the point of steel corroding more quickly in a warm garage than outside. My garage has some form of supercooling effect unknown to modern science, even when the mercury has withdrawn to spend the winter months hibernating in its bulb, I have to come outside into the frosty landscape to warm up.
I tried putting a heater in but science was mystified again as even though it blew hot in the workshop, no more than ten yards away , it had no impact in the garage.
Cryogenics for the inquisitive & an ideal spot for superconductivity research.
M

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Eagle has landed 5 months 1 week ago #205067

• digcot65's Avatar Topic Author
  • digcot65
  • Away
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
We bought our bungalow 34 years ago and the double garage swayed me. The bungalow, needed a load doing to it and although the owner was a millionair he never wanted to move there So he refused to do anything to it Strange man ,but after several year work inc putting a tiles roof on trusses on most of the bungalow ,which had a flat roof we finally got it right The garage is ideal but an even larger one would ne nice Len

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Bertl. Reason: pic inserted

Eagle has landed 5 months 1 week ago #205069

Dream garage, I bet you can keep yourself toasty warm in there. My garage/“cold store” is a stone built ex carriage shed, the pit was dug & hoist fitted prior to us coming here 30 odd years ago & as with you the garage was a significant draw.
M

Eagle has landed 5 months 1 week ago #205070

There is no such thing as a big enough garage!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Eagle has landed 5 months 1 week ago #205071

• digcot65
  • Away
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
We lived a few yards up the road at the peak of the Lickey hills. I had a pit dug in the garage ,but everytime I needed to use it ,water was up to the top, even though we were so high up. I heard of someone who was showing his friend his new pit His friend asked him how deep it was and he didnt have the light on in his garage but jumped in to show his friend the depth,and it was full of freezing water The only way,is to have a bath type liner in the pit.
It can be quite pleasant in the garage if I heat it before hand My wife says she doesnt know how I can work in the cold ,but I say you think Im out there enjoying myself ,not letting on about heating it

Eagle has landed 5 months 1 week ago #205072

I don’t like pits, I knew a bloke who got seriously burns in a pit that had spilled fuel in it that lit up
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Eagle has landed 5 months 1 week ago #205073

If you can’t go up, you have to go below ground or scrabble about like a reptile (figure of speech), I’m not implying those who are not up or down endowed are reptilian in anyway.
It would be fantastic to have a lift but with inadequate headroom it’ll no more than a dream.
M

Eagle has landed 5 months 1 week ago #205076

On the point of steel corroding more quickly in a warm garage than outside. My garage has some form of supercooling effect unknown to modern science, even when the mercury has withdrawn to spend the winter months hibernating in its bulb, I have to come outside into the frosty landscape to warm up.
I tried putting a heater in but science was mystified again as even though it blew hot in the workshop, no more than ten yards away , it had no impact in the garage.
Cryogenics for the inquisitive & an ideal spot for superconductivity research.
M

I have an equally cold garage open fronted and facing north east, the planners insisted we had a mono pitch roof to match our neighbours even though theirs is the other side of the garden wall. Due to the garden wall being about sixteen feet high on our side (22 feet the other side!) I have a good sized loft above, however on the ground floor there is only seven feet of headroom.
My totally stripped MGB is on a wheeled frame about two feet off the ground, I can get to anywhere I need to get from underneath, I have a sheet of Celotex to lie on so it doesn't feel as cold. I can just get the engine over the front with a block and tackle so it actually works very well. On Thursday I have a bricklayer coming to divide up a building where I store stuff, I will end up with a thirty by twenty building rent free but fifteen miles away, it's not as good as it seems because I have to help the owner out on a regular basis.

Eagle has landed 5 months 1 week ago #205078

I couldn’t cope with a fifteen mile trip to the garage, as it is I walk fifteen miles to & from the workshop each day, to fetch stuff I had forgotten about on the last trip. Today I’ve been refitting my heavily modified heater controls & I’ve been back & forth taking inappropriate tools picked up in error, dropping a specially made nut down a nick between the floor & pit boards, which took longer to recover than it would to have made a fresh one & generally buggering about.
I could do with it being ten degrees warmer & being ten years younger.
Tomorrow I’ll be taking off the recently fitted hardtop, so, I can root around in its gizzards.
M

Eagle has landed 5 months 1 week ago #205080

When I say “it’s gizzards”, I mean take the inspection hatch off & have a rummage in there. I can inspect the hardtops gizzards without removing it, as in effect my wife & I, when we are out & about, are the hardtops gizzards.
M

Eagle has landed 5 months 5 days ago #205118

• digcot65
  • Away
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
I seem to have got over the awful bug I had ..I dont think Ive ever felt so bad It possibly doesnt help with muy other health problems ,but we keep going Im hoping to get s ome U/C on the sill and front wing which Ive removed a bit of rust If I get that done,then I can rest till after Christmas

Eagle has landed 5 months 4 days ago #205135

• digcot65
  • Away
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Managed to get the garage up to about 58 deg yesterday,so did a tiny bit of spraying on the sill and front wing .There was a slight rust spot on the wing which I sorted so ,I thought I would get into the swing of things before yet another lay off at Christmas .Still have a slight cough,but nothing like what it was Len

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT