Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Wet 2005 TF 5 months 2 weeks ago #204740

Having done my snorkel on the last TF I ought to check this now on my 135. What thickness of neoprene tape is best ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wet 2005 TF 5 months 2 weeks ago #204742

Thanks for your replies, Bruce and AP. I will take a good look at the guide.
The Tiger Seal arrived today and the neoprene sheet comes tomorrow.
I will see what I need for a spacer.
That is Sunday's job.

Weekend after next, the carpet is coming out; seats centre conole, the lot. The stink of rotting foam is taking the pleasure out of a neat and tidy car and definitely not somewhere Mrs g_d will go near.

I have a dream that no carpet will reveal where the water is entering and I will be able to limit ingress.
Starting to ogle CLKs........

Wet 2005 TF 5 months 2 weeks ago #204744

Having done my snorkel on the last TF I ought to check this now on my 135. What thickness of neoprene tape is best ?

I can't remember but it is easily compressed. Thicker than the spacers, I would say. 6mm? 8mm? I think the width was about 10mm. You can use the same stuff around the back of the hood. It needs to be closed-cell foam, like neoprene. Open cell foam is basically sponge and will leak!

Wet 2005 TF 5 months 2 weeks ago #204746

Bob on Bruce. Once you get hooked on sticky backed closed foam neoprene it takes over your life. Everywhere you look there’s something crying out for it, a rattle from the wind stop; sticky backed CFN, buzzing from somewhere in the door ;sticky backed CFN, glove box, windscreen surround, etc you see it becomes obsessive.
M

Wet 2005 TF 5 months 2 weeks ago #204747

Neoprene rubber fettishests! :bust:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Wet 2005 TF 5 months 2 weeks ago #204749

Neoprene rubber fettishests! :bust:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Wet 2005 TF 5 months 2 weeks ago #204750

Are you developing a stammer!
M

Wet 2005 TF 5 months 2 weeks ago #204756

Most cars leak from the window cheaters. Putting some extra tubing in both the seals on the door side as well and windscreen sides helps but often still leaks some. As mentioned, no new 'main' seal is available (and I doubt it ever will be). Even if you could get a new main seal, the cheater itself is probably a bit stretched and will catch water (and changing that part is no joke). It was not a good design.

Do you see drops of water on your inner door liner and speaker? If yes, then you have cheater issues. This is also made worse (in my experience) if your car is parked on a slope (facing downhill). It does not seem like much but the small ingress quickly adds up.

The easiest solution (after you have attempted the above) is to put a half cover on car if it sitting outside for longer periods. For shorter periods, I have a couple of small (rectangular shaped) sponges that I place below the cheater on the inside to catch the drops (they rest on the 'ledge') so it does not drip down to the speaker and carpet.

Not so sure about the snorkel. This was a problem on earlier cars but not later ones.

Before pulling everything apart, why not put some paper on your floor the next time it is parked in the rain so you can see where the water is coming in from.

Posting a few photos (of window gaps, water droplets after rain, convertible top condition, etc.) may also be helpful.

You can probably pull back the carpet enough to dry it without having to remove the center console although the seats would need to be removed.

Wet 2005 TF 5 months 2 weeks ago #204788

Step 1 of the Wet TF project is complete.
The snorkel came off and went back on again with a cut sheet of closed cell neoprene and a strip around the sensitive bits.
Evidence of a good seal was the presure needed to engage the rather small nuts.

Hard to see any ingress but all cleaned up and done my best job on it.
The foam that I took off was wet but we have had continuous rain for a month here.
Next weekend, rain or no rain, the carpet is coming out.
Then on to adjusting window as suggested in this thread.

Support on here much appreciated. Thank you.

Wet 2005 TF 5 months 1 week ago #204898

After the super advice on here, step 2 of the Great Ark project is complete.
The carpet is out and the seats and centre console is back in. The immobiliser/alarm is all working and no unusual lights on the dash.
Thanks once more for the how-tos.

Next step is to try to identify where the wet is coming from. Newspaper, talc as tell-tale.

The carpet was dripping with water when we took it out but no puddles on the car floor.
And no signs of rust (yet).
The footrest area of the passenger has a lot of staining and as step 1 was replacing the neoprene on the snorkel, I hope I have fixed that.

More to come.....

Wet 2005 TF 4 months 3 days ago #205270

I promised updates.
The carpet went back inside the car today. All tidied up and looking like a proper car again.
6 weeks after the carpet came out.

Staining evident in the passenger footwell and on the carpet in that area.

The cap cover has kept out the rain through the seals and sataified that the car is dry up to this point.
Need to start working on the seals to make it a useable car in the wet.

(And fixing the head gasket........)

Appreciate the support and comments on here.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT