Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 6 days ago #203634

Hi,
Despite searches on here looking through the workshop manual and the F/TF Restoration manual I can’t find how to remove the black plastic protector/thingy under the bonnet. I don’t even know what to call it. Obviously there’s the fixing into the snorkel and two nuts on the left hand side, but I can’t see any more. Does it just pull up and out? Mine’s either well and truly stuck or there’s more fixings. If any knows or can direct me to a thread that mentions it, it would be appreciated.
Regards,
Michael.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 5 days ago #203639

Take the spare out if I remember correctly there is a plastic nut or 2? at the bottom, interesting fact they are not really nuts as they are when new unthreaded and grip the "spire" they go onto, I know this cos I needed some (rusty nylocs used) and the big boys charge stupid prices for a scrap of plastic so I went to "Vehicle Clips" and they appear to be surprise surprise a BMW part as are a few other bits on the TF due no doubt to the tie up between them.
If anybody needs these nuts this is the link and the price includes PP which is where the big boys rip you off
https://vehicleclips.co.uk/products/plastic-nuts-for-trim-panels-upholstery-sensor-mounts-bmw-16131176747

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 5 days ago #203640

Is this what are you after:

Attachments:

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 5 days ago #203641

Deepfat is (as always!) correct. I have posted a reply with pictures on the The MGF Register Forums site (where I saw your request first). The two bottom "Spires" as Deepfat calls them had no fasteners on at all on my TF, but they DID still prevent the cover being removed, until the cover was gently prise over these studs. Be gentle with this plastic, as it is probably more than 20 yrs old, and less flexible than it was.

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 5 days ago #203642

As always Roverlike provides us with all we need to know on a subject. My car is short of one fixing point, that must have been added on the tf. I have to say that the cover is remarkably resistant & should have all plastic nuts on the pegs & a screw rivet through to the snorkel/air box.
Many of the nuts are rendered useless by the use of power tools & that’s why so many are missing. They are used on Land Rover as well as in some prepackaged products found in motor factors.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roverlike

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 5 days ago #203643

Thanks to you three for your replies.
I’ve since worked it out although the two lower fixing were without nuts.
Thanks Roverlike, the diagram is the one I was looking for. I’ll have another look in the manual, the style looks like it’s there.
Thanks Deepfat for the link I might just treat it to some as one of mine on the offside wing is stripped so consequently doesn’t do anything.
Regards,
Michael.

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 5 days ago #203645

Thanks Airportable.
Apologies didn’t see you reply first time round.
Regards,
Michael.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 5 days ago #203647

Throw the silly plastic nuts to the shithouse, and fit some metal self cut nuts
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MAXTHEDOG

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 5 days ago #203651

What’s up my friend, are you alright, you seem to have developed a stammer!

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 5 days ago #203655

Bloody internet went walkadout whilst posting, I’ve removed the duplicate
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 5 days ago #203658

Thank goodness, as good as your posts are having to read them twice might get repetitive, repetitive.
M

Under bonnet plastic protector 9 months 5 days ago #203659

New one on me where do you get self cut nuts, Masochists R us ?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT