Sign In   Register

Topic

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 2 weeks ago #203472

Ducellier is France’s answer to Lucas…..just another brand of inconsistent quality.
Mind you they made the only points for my old AMC Rambler V8s with their AC Delco distributors that would last, all the other brands I could get here in Oz were absolute rubbish! No one here had the genuine AC Delco points, which probably would’ve been OK.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Volcano

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 2 weeks ago #203474

https://www.mgfntfbitz.co.uk/shop/52mm-alloy-throttle-body/ Its worth checking for when they next get stock in. Im sure they will ship something that size to Oz
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 2 weeks ago #203481

Thanks Notanumber, that price is £35 cheaper than Rimmers and other UK parts suppliers.

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 2 weeks ago #203492

Wow Cobber a Rambler V8, nice car!

The Volcano on a drive yesterday seemed a little better again, smoother than before, a bit more responsive, with the installation of the new Bosch coil. :)

I found a seller, MG Mania, have the 52 mm throttle body but the photos show no sensor. I've asked if that's the case, awaiting reply. It's £49.

Anyone bought from those maniacs? Hehee.

Last edit: Post by Volcano.

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 2 weeks ago #203493

I had half a dozen Ramblers, mainly Matadors and a few Rebels.
By my vague memory, you should be able to use the TPS off your current throttle body.

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 2 weeks ago #203494

Today I decided to check on the 5 year old timing belt that has approx. 13,000 km operating wear on it. When belt was replaced, new water pump and tensioner were installed too.

It seems fine. Best I could do for photos. What do think?

Attachments:

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 2 weeks ago #203495

Without the benefit of X-ray vision, it looks fine.

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 2 weeks ago #203496

Not unusual I would agree with Cobber & on the supplier recommendation, I have had parts from MG Mania, however there’s another company whose name is one letter different which I could very comfortably live without. Do check their pricing, buying direct might prove more advantageous than via eBay. At the end of the day it’s the carriage that will prove the clincher.
I’ve no doubt you would want get on with the job, but I’ve an original SU plastic example (why?) & one or two later aluminium units, one of which came off a Freelander, if either of those were a 52mm body you could have that for the carriage & that would be with a TPS.
The fly in the ointment is I’m away for at least another week providing we’re not washed out into the North Sea, then I’ll have to locate them etc.
M

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 2 weeks ago #203498

I decided to go ahead and pulled the timing belt out. Upon closer look with a better light, there is oil behind the belt on the casting that looks like it’s coming from a camshaft seal. So, I’ll be removing all the camshaft seals tomorrow. Definitely worth doing a proper job with a new belt going in.

Today I’ve learned there are two types of belt for my MG, where I have an auto tensioner so it’s 145 tooth belt. A 143 tooth belt for manual tensioner.

The belt I removed is a Dayco 145x260H. I don’t see any genuine brand belts from my nearby suppliers. Is there a best of aftermarket brand for timing belts?

Attachments:

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 2 weeks ago #203500

I’ve always been an adherent to Gates belts, however I’ve just had a glance at eBay, that “window on the mediocre”* & found no end of strangely named offerings. They may well be as good & possibly better than OEM products, but would you be as confident after a few k miles to give it the full can of beans.
I’ve never experienced first hand the “cam belt death clatter” but I’ve seen any number of terminal remains & marvelled at the plasticity of valve stems. And as sad as that may be for the owners, I’m happier that it’s not of my making.
* obviously not all stuff on eBay is mediocre but I’m not letting that get in the way of a jibe.
M

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 2 weeks ago #203502

Not unusual I would agree with Cobber & on the supplier recommendation, I have had parts from MG Mania, however there’s another company whose name is one letter different which I could very comfortably live without. Do check their pricing, buying direct might prove more advantageous than via eBay. At the end of the day it’s the carriage that will prove the clincher.
I’ve no doubt you would want get on with the job, but I’ve an original SU plastic example (why?) & one or two later aluminium units, one of which came off a Freelander, if either of those were a 52mm body you could have that for the carriage & that would be with a TPS.
The fly in the ointment is I’m away for at least another week providing we’re not washed out into the North Sea, then I’ll have to locate them etc.
M

I haven't found any cheaper 52 mm on Ebay UK than MG Mania. Aust Ebay isn't even at the playing field for prices.

Wow, regarding the 52 mm! That's very generous of you M. I'm not in a hurry to do the throttle body, see what you have when you return and can have a look. Fingers crossed! :)

Since I'm doing timing belt and cam seals, It looks like those parts will have to be ordered from the British parts shop in Victoria Au, so I can get genuine but I'll have to wait for postage. Nowhere within driving distance do any parts seller have stock on what I require.

I found a Au online supplier of Gates timing belt for $40.95. Half price! When I put it in my shopping cart "OUT OF STOCK". Duhhh! LOL

Are you out on the sea M? You talking about washed away?

Another engine not running well question, baffling, very. 9 months 1 week ago #203507

Definitely shore sides. It’s pissed down in the sort of biblical ways of the flood & some poor souls have ended up with damp sandwiches if they’ve been picnicking in the wrong places.
We’re away in our motor caravan & fell foul of a branch brought down by the wind which collided with the van roof, knocking a hole big enough for me to get both hands in & wrestle the shards of fibreglass out.
A borrowed set of steps & a roll of Gaffa tape saw us watertight & we carry on as if nothing happened.
Mind you there’ll be a big set too with matting & resin on our return. Plus I’ve got the f to MOT.
M

Last edit: Post by Airportable.
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT