Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF Electrics ? 10 months 1 day ago #203020

Hi all
The instrument lights on my TF 115 started to flicker slightly this morning and the tachometer stopped working while using the window switch, I asumed it could be the alternator However I have just checked the battery and at rest its 12.5 volts and with the engine running its at 13.9

Any suggestions of what it chould be or where to look whould be appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF Electrics ? 10 months 1 day ago #203023

Do a load test on the alternator, there are proper gadgets that do this, but you can do a reasonably effective load test by turning some high current drawing items on whilst the engine is running and doing a voltage check.
Heater fan, headlights, wipers etc. You should get a reading in at least the high 12s
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

TF Electrics ? 10 months 1 day ago #203026

Thanks for I'll try it now

TF Electrics ? 10 months 1 day ago #203027

Just had all lights on plus heated screen and gettin reading of 13+. So maybe to many short journeys lately

TF Electrics ? 10 months 1 day ago #203028

Is it only the window switch that has that effect ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

TF Electrics ? 10 months 23 hours ago #203030

On my 2002 TF, the window switches are on the same fuse as the instruments (Fuse 1 as I recollect) so if that circuit is dragged low, OR the switch and instruments share a poor earth connection, use of the window switch might cause your instrument flicker?

TF Electrics ? 10 months 22 hours ago #203031

If there is a poor earth ie high resistance in the window circuit other paths to earth will be sought, it can throw up some odd results try checking the earth to your window switch'. I'm not a TF electric expert but many vehicles have a common earth site if this has corrosion it can throw up these types of issues.

TF Electrics ? 9 months 4 weeks ago #203059

As mentioned pull the fuse (1) and check it and its holder for corrosion and clean it up, regarding earth/ground points this is a very good guide showing locations.
https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/roverlike-s-guides/97850-mg-f-tf-earth-points-locations-guide

TF Electrics ? 9 months 3 weeks ago #203070

Thanks all for your help.
I charged the battery and went for a good run for an hour and touch wood its been ok since then. So i,m putting it down to too ment short jouneys
So thats the TF sorted so now to the problems with the F (but thats for another post )

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT