Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Stereo replacement 10 months 1 week ago #202716

Hi All,
Hope this is in the correct section.
As of last Wednesday I’m a new owner of a 03MY TF160, and playing around and seeing what’s what I found the Alpine boot CD changer doesn’t work. Not really that bothered about it so I’m planning on pulling that and it’s matching Alpine head unit out that also has a CD slot. That doesn’t work 100% either - can’t program some radio station slots.
So, first question- how do I get at the head units fixings to get it out without breaking something.
Secondly, did the 160 from 2003 actually come with speakers behind the seats and how again without damaging anything get at them.
Thirdly the last time I fitted a car stereo was in the early 90’s (cassette) and no, I’m not interested in that retro thing. I’ve got an iPhone 11 so presumably Apple Car Play would be desirable, but I think my preferred method of listening would be a USB device or an SD card. Although how I’d get the tracks from iTunes on a MacBookPro running MacOS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) to the stick/card I would have to investigate! Only got about 6k tracks though.
Any information or guidance for these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Michael.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Stereo replacement 10 months 1 week ago #202719

Hi. I you can find a good cd43 which was fitted to the MGF and I think some TF you can buy and extra harness that allows SD and Bluetooth that appears on the cd43 as the cd changer. Ash

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Re:Stereo replacement 10 months 1 week ago #202726

With 1800cc & 160 nominal BHP under your right foot, with the roof down as intended, with the wind trying to remove those last wisps of hair, with all those mad bastards razzing up behind you wanting to race, with continental trucks taking ten minutes to pass you ,whilst filling the car with particulates, soot & other shit related shite, a good audio system is as much use as a loofah to a dredger. I've a 4 x 25watt Sony unit which I can now operate from the steering wheel, JBL speakers all round & A boxed set of three CDs, only one has been in the machine & that's the first disc of 50 years of Fleetwood Mac. I usually get to Albatross & give it up as pointless.
Besides with overcrowded roads & having to play pothole hopscotch, even on trunk routes, concentrating on driving is more important than a sing along or a head banging session.
M

Re:Stereo replacement 10 months 1 week ago #202751

Headbanging! I say. I don’t listen to these new fangled beat combos. It’s ‘proper’ music for me. Beethoven, Bach, but not that upstart Mozart! B)
Round my parts it’s farmer Giles and his contraptions hogging the road. :bang:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notanumber

Re:Stereo replacement 10 months 1 week ago #202755

Long ago now, so I don’t recall what was involved in removing the head unit, but it wouldn’t have been difficult otherwise I’d remember it as a bastard of a job.
Some cars had oval speakers behind the seats in the t-bar as well as round speakers in the doors, mounted low/front and small round tweeters also in the door mounted up near the top/front.

I binned the head unit and the cd contraption in the boot, I replaced the head unit with a Kenwood DAB+ unit with Bluetooth and usb input port. I also replaced the door speakers and added door tweeters as my car didn’t have them.
I also fitted a 3db high gain DAB+ antenna, so I get superb reception well out of the normal broadcast range footprint.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: MAXTHEDOG

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Re:Stereo replacement 10 months 1 week ago #202756

I didn't include serious music, I'm reluctant to call it classical music, classic is a music period however no one could call some of the rock music frivolous when you consider the quality. English music for me but the subtly of Delius on a car stereo! Really.

Re:Stereo replacement 10 months 1 week ago #202760

Head units are normally held in at the sides and are released by sliding keys done the side, the facia on the front needs to be removed first. The keys can usually be purchased on ebay/halfords etc using the make/model or you can play about with a thin blade down the sides.
As its an Alpine I suspect if you go their site you may be lucky and be able to download their fitting/user guide, just read this from the back to the front and you should have a head unit in your lap:lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MAXTHEDOG

Re:Stereo replacement 10 months 6 days ago #202828

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.
Old unit and CD changer out new JVC unit in and working. Had to do a bit of surgery on the wiring to make it a bit more future friendly.
Cheers,
Michael.

Re:Stereo replacement 10 months 6 days ago #202837

Which JVC did you go for out of interest ?
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Re:Stereo replacement 10 months 4 days ago #202865

I fitted a cheap head unit off ebay, no CD slot, just uses bluetooth, micro SD and USB to access music. Also plays radio and video. You can get a good cheap one for about 50 quid, I use the video screen for a reversing camera, most useful.
Plenty on ebay and they just plug straight in. Some also come with a steering wheel control and most have a remote control unit.

Sundance

Re:Stereo replacement 10 months 2 days ago #202914

Hi,
Apologies for the late delay. The bloody Jags been hogging all my time (long story).
In answer to your question, it was a JVC KD-X382BT. £89 from Halfrauds. Does everything I need.
Regards,
Michael.

Re:Stereo replacement 9 months 1 week ago #203276

Hi Sundance, can you post a link and any photos of the finished job please!

MANY THANKS

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT