• Page:

Topic

Clutch release arm 10 months 3 weeks ago #202606

• Bobb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bobb
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Friends,
My clutch pedal has been sticking for a few weeks now.
I’ve replaced the slave cylinder and bled the system and for a little while that appeared to do the trick, however the pedal went to the floor and didn’t spring back.
I’ve now rebled the clutch and sprayed the release arm with WD40 and a lubricant.
The pedal now appears to be operating normally.... but for how long?
Online, this appears a common MG TF fault and an updated release arm is now available.
My question is, should I leave it now it’s working?
Or for the want of £30 should I replace it.
Is it an easy job to do??
TIA
Bob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Clutch release arm 10 months 3 weeks ago #202607

Changing the arm itself is not difficult but first you have to take the gearbox out!!
Try getting some release agent down the spindle followed by some light oil if this works and you do it 2/3 times a year it will probably last until the clutch needs changing then you can incorporate the arm change.
The following user(s) said Thank You: whippet

Clutch release arm 10 months 3 weeks ago #202614

Sound advice.

Clutch release arm 10 months 3 weeks ago #202642

Had you replaced the flexible hose at the same time as the slave cylinder as these can become porous and also can 'balloon' under pressure so the effort at the pedal doesnt reach the slave cylinder
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Clutch release arm 10 months 3 weeks ago #202675

Use a chain oil aerosol rather than WD40, it sprays out thin and penetrates like WD40 but when the solvent evaporates it leaves a film of grease. It is designed to penetrate the links on chains to lubricate the rollers
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, whippet

Clutch release arm 10 months 3 weeks ago #202676

I would endorse this approach. From some unknown source I have inherited a squirty can of chain spray with graphite & although I don’t adhere to 2/3 squirts a year the arm gets a good sqeg whilst I’m under piddling with other stuff. We live in an ancient cottage with matching doors which created horror film groans & squeaks when opened or closed, I squegged them all with this stuff & the entire character of the place changed. I also got bollocked because it leaves a trickle of black film running down from the hinges to drip on the carpet.
M

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

Clutch release arm 10 months 2 weeks ago #202721

I would endorse this approach. From some unknown source I have inherited a squirty can of chain spray with graphite & although I don’t adhere to 2/3 squirts a year the arm gets a good sqeg whilst I’m under piddling with other stuff. We live in an ancient cottage with matching doors which created horror film groans & squeaks when opened or closed, I squegged them all with this stuff & the entire character of the place changed. I also got bollocked because it leaves a trickle of black film running down from the hinges to drip on the carpet.
M

No pain No gain B)

Clutch release arm 9 months 3 weeks ago #203069

In my experience Ive found the gain to be so much less that the pain which seems to be never ending.:(

Clutch release arm 9 months 3 weeks ago #203081

Controlling pain is simply mind over matter.
I don’t mind & you don’t matter.

That’s dreadfully, did I really say that !

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT