Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #144996

Fitted my MGF Mania 280mm front disc upgrade today. :woo2:

Early days yet as I'm making sure they bed in gently so haven't really braked hard with them but there is definitely more braking power with this upgrade. :yesnod:

Well pleased :clap:
Robin ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #145000

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Have got a week off work next week. Birthday week, original plan was to go abroad on a jolly with Sue. Also have the first week of July booked: decided to go away then instead.

So, aside from some hopefully nice runs out if we get some sun, the plan is to sort out the chips on the trailing edge of the front wheel arches which I put off last year.

Still making my mind up on how to tackle the job: heart says make good and airbrush in body colour. The surface rust is confined to the arch lower flange and doesn't spread around the lower wing. Head says make good and Hammerite then fit flaps (with rears to match: MG ones, not Halfords road-scrapers) to prevent reoccurrence.

What does the panel of experts think? Your input valued thanks.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #145005

Next week is my birthday week too. The big 60. Getting old now. :rant:
Nice how to on the brakes Cairnsys

Recently I
Fixed a weeping clutch slave cylinder.
Put the hardtop on till spring. It lets a little air in just above the drivers sun visor.. The fiberglass is slightly raised where I have put a yellow circle in the pic. I will have to experiment with some bits of soft rubber or foam?

[IMG]ht[/img]
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Davem.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #145006

So, aside from some hopefully nice runs out if we get some sun, the plan is to sort out the chips on the trailing edge of the front wheel arches which I put off last year.

I have the same problem and am contemplating wrapping some vinyl around that area..colour coded to the body colour...but then that's easier for me as it's Raven Black..
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #145009

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.

Have got a week off work next week. Birthday week, original plan was to go abroad on a jolly with Sue. Also have the first week of July booked: decided to go away then instead.

Still making my mind up on how to tackle the job: heart says make good and airbrush in body colour. The surface rust is confined to the arch lower flange and doesn't spread around the lower wing. Head says make good and Hammerite then fit flaps (with rears to match: MG ones, not Halfords road-scrapers) to prevent reoccurrence.

The problem with Hammerite/ Smoothrite is that it won't accept 'normal' paint on top if you decide to colour match to the original paint later on. At least when I tried I ended up with a relief map of Nepal rather than a nice smooth finish.
Also the mudflaps need to be fitted carefully to avoid causing more paint damage and rust. It might be worth using a little vinyl wrap under the mudflaps to prevent the rubbing effect.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: John and Sue

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #145060

Well after picking up an oil and fuel filter (plus oil/air/pollen filters for my mates Accord) from EuroCarParts yesterday I decided to change Felix's oil this afternoon.

I emptied out the rubbish oil, which was quite black, and refilled with cheapo oil from B&Q (if anyone wants any flushing oil its only £10.99!). I then added some STP engine flush and ran him on fast idle for 5 minutes. When I drained that oil out it too was very mucky.... just goes to show it's a good idea to flush everything out rather than just empty and refill with clean......

Next I removed the old oil filter, which as I have misplaced my filter spanner, I had to ram a screwdriver through to remove it!

Then I grabbed the new oil filter. It hadn't struck me odd that both the Honda and MG filters were the same, and I didn't match it to the old one (first mistake). I popped it on, and then refilled with Magnatec. All seemed well...

Then I started him up. Nice and quiet almost instantly, although still lumpy running in my opinion, but when I looked underneath DRIPS from the filter!!!

At that point I went and checked my receipt only to discover they had supplied two Accord filters and the MG one should have been different! GRRRR

Of course by the time I realised this they were shut, and I had to ring round Halfrauds to find one... having to travel almost an hour on the bus to get it, and at a cost of £6.49!!

Luckily I managed to get the 'new' old filter off without losing too much Magnatec, popped the new one on and topped him up... So what should have been a nice easy job turned into a right trial! Needless to say a stinky email has been sent to EuroCarParts Customer Service, although no doubt they will say I should have checked, a bit difficult until you have taken the old filter off of course....(not that I did then either!).

Luckily the fuel filter was far easier and didn't drip too much petrol around.

I'll take him for a run tomorrow or Sunday to see if anything has improved.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #145065

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
I had a similar event with an oil filter years ago. Now I always compare new to old before I fit.

Just as you will from now on. :yesnod:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #145067

Too true - now I trust no one!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 9 months ago #147511

• psymon
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 2001 MGF 1.8 in MNX
On a rare outing to the Garage.
I managed to get, The Radiator, Bonnet and Slam panel on, Wiring loom and various Control Boxes and Fuse Panels in, Wiper Motor, Arms, and Wipers, Scuttle panel, Washer bottle, Brake Servo, Pedal Box, Carpet, T-Bar, Doors Hung, Boot Hinges, TF Snorkel, Heating and Blower Assembly , Hood, and Steering column (not connected as Subframe needs aligning), And the stereo now works :woohoo:

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 9 months ago #147512

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Careful .... the neighbours may call the police having seen someone fiddling with that car after all these years!

In the time it's taken you to progress to getting the stereo working I've become a grandfather three times over. Well done Simon, at this rate you'll have it ready for MGF25.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 9 months ago #147526

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
Simon. I am in shock.... :omg:
David
:shrug:

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 8 months ago #147544

Finally fitted the HEL braided stainless brake lines and ended up having to bleed the system three times after each road test due to my lack of familiarity with the cars system. I didn't realise the AP front callipers had an inside bleed nipple!
Live and learn.
Best wishes all.

Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT