Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143062

MOT passed :woo2: with no work required but two advisories, front discs and LH lower ball joint. I have the discs and was going to do them but other things got in the way. I was suspicious of the ball joint so have been reading the various how tos etc. Looks a bit of a job but will be having a crack next week.

Replacing a porch/utility room on the house this week

Robin
Robin ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143081

Hi all
I am getting my car TERRACLEANED tomorrow [ see failed mot ]

Gonna get all three of mine done once Felix is through his MOT - we have a local one and it seems to lower all emissions really well.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143370

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
Today I am going to be investigating the possibility of lowering the seats. I'm sick of having to stoop to see under the top of the windscreen surround!

I have a spare set I acquired a while ago and have stripped one down ready for action this morning.

It looks like taking out the sliding mechanism will give a drop of around two inches.

I'll take a few photos along the way. ;)
David
:shrug:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143379

MOT passed :woo2: with no work required but two advisories, front discs and LH lower ball joint. I have the discs and was going to do them but other things got in the way. I was suspicious of the ball joint so have been reading the various how tos etc. Looks a bit of a job but will be having a crack next week.

Replacing a porch/utility room on the house this week

Robin

Robin having just replaced the O/S/F lower ball joint (yesterday) it's not as bad a job as some people make out really. The biggest issue that i am across was getting the nuts for the top ball joint and track rod end freed enough to remove without breaking the tapers grip then of course getting the nuts back on afterwards on reassembly.

Used plenty of Plusgas and worked the nuts back and forth after a good wire brushing. I would also suggest having a new bolt for the lower hub knuckle pinch as they tend to be rather rusted. Again cleaned with a wire brush then soak in something like Plusgas. Once the hub was only on the loosened lower spigot a cold chisel used as awedge to open up the pinch then holding the hub up in my left hand i belted the edge of the lower ball joint down with a BIG rubber mallet. A few good whacks and it was free.

Now getting the top ball joint back into it's taper hole in the upper arm is THE fun bit. I used a large crowbar and the trolley jack and a block of wood to lift the upper arm just enough that when levering the lower wish bone down the top ball joint would just slip in. releasing the jack then locates it. Then jacking the lower ball joint up engages the taper so that the nut can be put on and done up.

I didn't grind the rivets instead I drilled the heads until they could be struck off with the cold chisel then a punch was used to drive the rivets down and out. The lower arm was supported by the jack whilst doing so. I also cleaned off the wish bone then sprayed with under seal for protection and over the new joints nuts and bolt to protect them from rust.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, cairnsys

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143390

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
The result of my efforts today

David
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143400

So will your seat be fixed in one position then?

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143423

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Since I changed the n/s rear bearing and drive flange the MG has been a bit neglected, what with looking after Sue following her hand op.

Nothing more serious planned today than a levels check, clean inside and I've got some of that there snow foam to try on the bodywork. Sunday plan: a run out in the sun. B)

Then next week, snaffle the MG for the work commute, as Sue is signed off and can't drive. :woohoo:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143426

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David

So will your seat be fixed in one position then?

Yeah unfortunately, I couldn't retain the slider mechs and get any meaningful drop in height.

It means that I had to measure the position carefully to ensure that if it had to be fixed then at least it was in the right position. :yesnod:

I had to do the same with my Nissan to get a decent sitting position. It's not because of my height (6') but because I have a very long back and consequently sit very tall. If that makes sense.

I have run the fixed seat past my MOT guy, and he tells me that the only stipulation in the MOT is that the seat must be firmly attached to the floor. There's no requirement for it to adjust as some people believe.

The seat is now rebuilt and I am in the process of refitting to the car. This is going to be a mission because, obviously, now you can't slide the seat to expose the bolts!

I decided not to do a HOW TO as the lowering involves a lot of re-engineering(butchering) of the frame and I'm concerned about personal liability if someone attempts it and ends up disappearing on an ejector seat through the windscreen. :omg:
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: JanCo

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143527

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
As expected it was a real mission to get my lowered seat bolted into the car. :bang: But it's in and I'm happy with the result :broon: .

I went down with Dave Baird to pick up a hard top this afternoon. :yesnod:
So if anyone saw me in a BRG F with a hardtop traveling up the M6, I have an excuse. :bust: :coat:
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143535

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Well, after yesterday's wash and brush up we had a pleasant topless tootle across country to the museum of childhood at Sudbury Hall: not been since the kids were young. (Long time ago.)

Slightly depressing that a lot of the exhibits on show we'd played with as kids.

Nice drive back, around. 60 mile round trip.

As stated previously, I'll just have to use the MG for work as Sue can't drive after her hand op.
Well, it would be a shame for something to seize due to lack of use...... ;) especially in this sunny weather.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143538

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Glad to hear the seat is in. Will you be back on the road in the F now?

So if anyone saw me in a BRG F with a hardtop traveling up the M6, I have an excuse. :bust: :coat:

That must have been 'fun' on one of the hottest days of the year so far :lol: Surprised you didn't get top less withdrawal symptoms.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 9 years 10 months ago #143553

The rear of both front wheel arches had started to rust on the bottom 3".
So out with the angle grinder fitted with an emery flap wheel & the surface was soon ready to paint.
Gave them a coat of Kurust just to be sure.
Decided to use Hammerite smooth silver finish rather than body colour paint, as I thought it would stand up to further corrosion better. Also not really noticeable that it is not an exact match.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Time to create page: 0.334 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT