Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184727

Invalid or non-existent item ID.Invalid or non-existent item ID.

have you a link to get the halo lights please, quite fancy having these, thanks. :broon:

Hi Graham, here is the ebay link for the Halos....

and also for the controller....
Multifunctional LED daytime running light harness controller DC 12V Auto DRL
Completed

You will also need butyl rubber to re-seal the lenses ....

and maybe a polishing kit to get the lenses back up to scratch ...(sort of a pun there!):lol:

Sundance
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184731

Finally got a picture of the Halo lights on my TF.

Sundance

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184736

I have to say that looks really good . As has been asked previously will it pass the test ? I can't see why it shouldn't but, there are a few grey areas ...ie type approval .
John

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184738

I like those halo lights..how good is the sealent used to glue the lense back on?

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184742

I like those halo lights..how good is the sealent used to glue the lense back on?

The butyl rubber is similar to the original rubber sealant, however I suspect its probably a little better, as its new and still very pliable.
I put a bead around the case rim and baked it at 50 degrees for a few minutes to get it even more tacky, then just pushed the lens back in. It went in great and I am hoping the seal will be better then before, as I was experiencing some moisture ingress in my lights.
Even if I did not fit the LED's I would probably have opened the lights up and re-sealed them again in an attempt to get a watertight fit.
Again, the controller should keep the lights legal, and I did check with my local MOT station about if it would pass. I also asked my son about them, as he is a Police Constable. All is ok.
He explained that the law sees issues with HID light bulbs, such as the high wattage LED bulbs that can be obtained from abroad. People go for brighter luminosity, which dazzles other drivers.
He did have a point when he saw them and said that my standard halogen lights do not suit the halo rings as they are more yellow.
He recommended fitting white LED bulbs, which are equivalent in brightness to the 55w and 60w bulbs fitted to the main and dipped beam.
He said avoid the blue tint ones, as the police are carefully looking at these. So I may fit some new bulbs too, but I will be careful in my selection and only fit an approved type.
One final thought is the slight tint I applied to my lens.
When I polished the lenses, the original UV coating was lost, so I applied a light coat of tint spray.
This I also checked with my MOT tester, and he said its fine also.

Sundance

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184743

thank you do I have to buy 2 as there are only 2 rings in the one sale wouldn't I need 4? two for each side thanks.Graham :broon:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184744

thank you do I have to buy 2 as there are only 2 rings in the one sale wouldn't I need 4? two for each side thanks.Graham :broon:

Yes you need two sets, but one controller will supply all four lights ok.
I fitted the controller next to my fusebox under the bonnet. The wire to the offside light was fed behind the radiator - you need to remove the slam panel to access this. The feed for the light dimming signal was taken from the nearside sidelight supply, the signal to turn the lights on from the ignition was taken from the radio feed - I fed the wire through the blind grommet next to the large grommet that the wires from the bonnet fusebox enter into the front bulkhead.
The other connections are the indicators, taken from the indicator wire on each lamp.
The controller also has one extra wire that is not used. This is a strobe signal that makes the lights rapid flash. I still have to tuck this away somewhere.
The wiring diagram available on the forums is really useful and shows you which colour wire and plug connections you need to tap into.
Note you do have to cut into the wiring loom that feeds the headlight plugs. Be careful as I pilled one of the crimped wires out and had to replace the connector completely, as I could not get the pin out to re-solder it on.
Best of luck with the installation.

Sundance

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184746

thank you I will buy them when I get some dough, just seems a little difficult as I am not the best at wiring, but as I am a stubborn bugger I will fight my way through it, if I get stuck is it ok to ask your advice, IE any pictures would be really helpful if you could manage it I would be eternally grateful to you, :woowoo:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184749

Just need to know how to operate a cooker for warming my lights up.
Attachments:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184750

is this electric cooker? if so what temp and how long? don't want a meltdown my lights, well not just yet anyway lol.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184753

Try and explain that to the mrs
What the bloody hell did you have in that cooker?
....I was just warming up some headlights off my mg...Sundance said it would be ok!
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 6 years 1 month ago #184754

not much help there, but really funny :hgf:

Time to create page: 3.087 seconds