Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38233

Again with the petrol cap, i could have masked the middle off and just sprayed everything, it would have been a damn site easier! But its all in the detail. Its something I could take off and do inside.
Its tiny things like keeping the ally plugs silver that will make the overall effect better than just a c**p spray job.

But we'll see, apparently Sunday is going to be a dry day so looks like the rest of the car is going to be done then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38479

As I do more of the car I'll just add to this thread, that way Im not cluttering up the forum with a million threads.

Was a bit cold to do large body panels today so thought I'd do the inside of the doors and the sills. Needed a bit of prep work removing door cards, door lock catch, sill strips etc. then removing of the door rubbers and finally the masking off of the bits I didn't want painted.

The result... well I dont know if I like the red inside, Im sure it will look better once the black has been laid down around it. If it still looks a little odd then I can always go over it in black at a later stage..

Opinions welcome as always.

Last edit: Post by Luckymarine.

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38525

Fantastic job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luckymarine

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38540

I wondered why you had cans of red?

Not sure on the red, tbh I think it'll just look like you had a cheap respray done.

Does look to give a good finish , though.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Luckymarine

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38541

You see now I think it looks like a good safety feature in that position and it's quite 'attention drawing'. I would be happy to tell people that it's plastic spray and then discuss how you did it. You could tell them to pop on here to see your 'how to guide'. It's well worth a look.

Now, how can we get it onto youtube is the next question? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luckymarine

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38542

Its scary putting it on actual paintwork that the world can see......

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38544

It loks absolutely awesome.
Being plastic, will it cope with the odd bump and stonechips better than paint?
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping, Luckymarine

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38545

Half way done, the finish on the boot and rear bumper still needs its final coat, moisture started to condense on the paintwork at about 4pm so we stopped.

There is a definite knack to doing it in a way that produces a good finish but I'm rather excited about it!

On opening the door you get that flash of red and it looks really good in the flesh. Door handles are masked, they will be the chrome underneath.

Photo's were taken with a phone camera so not the best....

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38546

The red definately looks better wit the black exterior :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the finished article - it's looking really good so far :yesnod:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Luckymarine

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38547

This is a brilliant idea that looks awesome. Once you've finished it we'll make a new thread showing 'start to finish' & 'before & after' pics for the 'how to guides' section. This thread is already there. But we'll make a better one, if you're ok with that?

And actually, we could break it down into several guides ie; wheels, body and so on.

Wicked product and a very do-able job for the winter. It will do a grand job of keeping the salt off the paint. :broon:

Cost wise, how much roughly for the whole job please?

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38549

Not done it all yet so dont know how many can's I will get through.

If you had to buy absolutely everything, masking tape, covering up sheeting, paint etc and you wanted to do your wheels too then I would budget for about £130.

That's for 14 cans of spray plus a bit for odds and ends.

You can get clear plasti dip, will give your car a matte look, with the "glossifier" (available in the UK soon) it will make it glossy again but protect your original colour with the option of just peeling it off whenever you needed to.

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38554

• Visitor
  • Visitor

but protect your original colour with the option of just peeling it off whenever you needed to.

That is a very good idea for the front bumper re stone chips :yesnod:

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT