Sign In   Register

Topic

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10492

I quoted the vented because I'm thinking of 262 fronts. BUT
There's a solid option too:yesnod:

http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/contents/en-uk/d10542.html
BDS5564 - 10542

And a quick question:- would the same brackets suit front and back?

Would there be any reason the same bracket wouldn't fit the fronts? Would certainly save me going for adapters to fit the APs :yesnod:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10493

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Very interesting read there.:yesnod:
That has answered one of my questions as well. The standard discs are located on the outside of the flange as well as the studs.

It probably does, but I don't think it is that much of a close fit otherwise you would never get the bloody thing off.

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10516

The next picture shows how the carrier extension block bolts to the hub. They are handed and the stepped part should face you with the narrow end of the step at the top. We do not fit this yet as we need to bolt it to the carrier.

Sorry Clive my brain's not working today but are both of the brackets identical?

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10518

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
They are an exact mirror image of each other.

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10519

I've gotta find me some spacers to fit APs to the front soonish :whistle:

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10527

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I have been playing today.

Found the reason that the car was pulling to the lesft and why the front breaks were off a bit.

When I jacked up the front of the car I tried turning the wheels by hand and could hardly turn them.

I originally thought that the caliper pistons may have been corroded and sticking. What it turned out to be was where the ends of the pads sat in the caliper. There is a metal plate either end and they were a bit manky and dirt had gathered underneath forcing them out a bit. Initially, I was going to undo the allen bolts holding them in place and remove and clean the plates. As it was, the allen bolts wouldn't budge, so I cleaned them up the best I could and filed the ends down on the pads so that they moved freely.

I put it all back together with the new discs and pads. I even drilled out the snapped retaining screws, retapped and fitted new stainless ones.

They look shiny.

Bled the brakes with the help of my assistant, Anne.

Refitted the wheels and took it for a spin. Not only does it now stop on a sixpence, it actually goes better as the brakes aren't binding now.

Happy days :)

Will have to do the rear pads during the week as it started getting dark.

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10534

Shiney :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10537

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I like shiny :yesnod:

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10557

It's going to be interesting to see the results on the brake tester after all this improvement.:yesnod:

I wonder how the standard front brakes would compare to the APs?:dunno:
David

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10563

It's going to be interesting to see the results on the brake tester after all this improvement.:yesnod:

I wonder how the standard front brakes would compare to the APs?:dunno:

I certainly don't know but I want APs :lol:

I wonder how badly the car would react to 280mm discs all round :dunno: Been reading a lot of bad posts about fitting spacers to get the APs under 16" square spokes :frown:

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10564

I certainly don't know but I want APs :lol:

I wonder how badly the car would react to 280mm discs all round :dunno: Been reading a lot of bad posts about fitting spacers to get the APs under 16" square spokes :frown:

As I commented elsewhere, having 280s all around should work fine as the original setup is 240s all round.

I want to change the fronts on ours to 280s, and depending on the result of that maybe go to 280 all round.
The AP route is too expensive in my opinion, plus I would have to change wheels as well.

OOh 1000 posts! Woohoo!
David

Brakes 14 years 2 months ago #10606

can't believe i missed all this :( totally bummed!

hmm i'm tempted to do this when i do the rest of my breaks (APs braided hoses EBC pads and grooved/vented disks were already on this list lol)

IGod know what it will be like with the new pads and front discs. I think it will be face against the winscreen time. :)

thats why you need 4 point harnesses... oh and look what i have for sale :dc:

lol

im assuming this is a stop gap mod until something more in keeping with the project comes along?

i may be wrong but i read on the Type R forums that EBC greenstuffs are only rated to 200bhp?
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT